back to article Openreach v Ofcom dark fibre legal bill bounced back to Competition Appeal Tribunal

The Court of Appeal has ruled that legal costs from BT Openreach's dark fibre bunfight against UK telcos will be reconsidered by the Competition Appeal Tribunal. Yesterday's judgment was solely about who ought to pay whose legal bills for the case, which revolves around market design cockups made by Ofcom when the regulator …

1. GreggS

A patch

because he knew he was dealing with Pirates?

1. }{amis}{
      Pirate

Re: A patch

Not really Ofcom has a goverment remit making them privateers ;-)

2. Paul Herber Silver badge

'a legal bill that would undoubtedly have run into the hundreds of thousands of pounds'

hardly worth a decent legal mind waking up in the morning for such a pawltry amount!

1. Alister

such a pawltry amount

NIce! a cross between poultry and paltry. maybe?

1. Paul Herber Silver badge

It's the pawl that stops the cogs in the brain going round this early in the morning!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Award them a £50 Waitrose voucher but when they ring up to complain about the amount OFCOM should route them through to an Indian call centre.

I'd say that's the scales of justice balanced.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When Half-Full is also known as Half-Empty, “Money Changing Hands” is how Taxation-Credit works. You know, when “Yore Taxed Money” means Less for You but More fer Them, C’mon, let’s have The Other One will ya?

5. David Nash Silver badge

Not that I would always jump to OpenReach's defence but...

How is it OK that someone takes them to court, loses, and they still have to pay the bill?

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Re: Not that I would always jump to OpenReach's defence but...

Without a decision on costs, each side pays their own lawyers. Do you think that's OK? Or not?

1. David Nash Silver badge

Not. If you did nothing wrong (as proven by the judgement) why should you have to pay anything?

If you are willing to take someone to court you presumably think you have a case and if you don't then you must be willing to accept the cost of losing.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Perhaps the judge felt that the BT group had already had enough tax payer's money over the years since privisation

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like