back to article Brit couple divorce over Sadville infidelity

A British woman is divorcing her husband after catching his Second Life avatar having cybersex with other virtual women. Amy Taylor, 28, told the Metro that her four-year (real-life) marriage to David Pollard, 40, has ended after twice walking in on his online adultery. The couple met online in 2003, and within months, they …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bryce Prewitt
    Thumb Down

Candidates for forced sterilization.

Please, please, PLEASE - no more ID card schemes, no more police DNA registries, give us what we really need - forced sterilization.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm...

There are so many comments that could be made...

I'll pick one...

I would say they need to get out more, but I suspect the front door isn't wide enough!

3. James O'Brien
    Joke

*cries* while looking for a spoon

Umm first of all a Playmobile reconstruction of the real life pic would have been alot easier on the eyes....though I guess there is a limit to how many pieces you can use....

On a side note.....why must we be subject to such horror Reg? WHY!!!??

<uses spoon to start scooping out eyes>

/mines the one with the dark glasses and cane next to it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

phwoah!

i think it's incredible how their avatars are virtually indistinguishable from the 'real' them!

i wonder if beautiful people go on second life and create fat, ugly, sweaty avatars?

5. Lawrence Dudley
    Paris Hilton

This Illustrates

Everything that is wrong with our world... paris because she's stupid too.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

have a fealing

That ever post here will be a cruel one.

Ps I have their wedding night sex video for sale

7. storng.bare.durid
    Thumb Down

@madra

Never seen a dwarf?

For the record, I am hung like a Tauren in real life. :P

8. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Thank God...

...for 16:9. What?

9. Anonymous from Mars

Thank you internet

Thank you internet for keeping these people away from me.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Fat Americans?

I thought Europe was supposed to provide the ultra-chic uber-fit tree-hugging commie-loving model lifestyle. Well based on this story and accompanying pix you can cross one off the list.

11. Chris C

Define "fidelity"

So she divorced him because a fictional character he was controlling in a fictional game had fictional sex with another fictional character? What would she have done if he had been playing GTA Vice City, and he opted to have his character have sex with a prostitute? Or, worse, imagine if he owned Leisure Suit Larry.

As for real-life (though I'm not sure either of them knows what this "real-life" is that people refer to), what would she do if she found out that he had <gasp> fantasies? Most people, men and women, have fantasies. And many of those fantasies involve people who are not our partners. It's not that we don't love our partners; it's just human nature. It may be a past lover, a celebrity, or just someone else you find attractive. It may be that you fantasize about doing something your partner won't, or can't, do. As long as you and your partner love and trust each other, and are faithful to each other, then you have nothing to fear from fantasies, not even fantasies carried out in a sad fictional game.

Now, if he had been ignoring his wife in favor of his fantasies, that would be different. But it doesn't sound like that's the case here.

12. Shane Orahilly
    Flame

@ Chris C

>>Now, if he had been ignoring his wife in favor of his fantasies, that would be different. But it doesn't sound like that's the case here.<<

"He confessed he'd been talking to this woman in America for weeks and said he didn't love me any more," she said.

Did you read the whole article? "he didn't love me any more" sounds pretty much like he preferred his fantasies to reality, no?

Hey Reg, can we have some extra icons - we need a good Facepalm and Head-desk to deal with incidents of stupidity.

13. Lee
    Joke

is it me????

or are these really scary people....at least they can't multiply - they couldn't get close enough to copulate

14. Seán

It becomes much clearer

I could never quite figure out why people would use second life. It always seemed worthless and empty. Now I know it is, but it's still closer to a real life than these rancid nomarks will ever get. I say shut it down, these people are not supposed to meet and possibly breed. It's agin nature I tells you.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Heh, it gets better

the other woman has been revealed: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1933871.ece

I'm sure they will be very happy together, at least until the next bit of hot pixellated ass turns up.

16. Sceptical Bastard

At last...

I've been waiting ages for a new Sadville story on El Reg. And this one's a beauty - you couldn't make it up!

Sad, sad bastards. May they continue in their pathetic virtual hell.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For f*ck's sake...

What is the matter with people?

18. Ian
    Alien

Can someone explain...

According to the story his avatar was having sex with a Sadville call girl.So there are prostitutes in Sadville? People pay their Linden dollars to have sex, and other people create an avatar and charge other avatars to have sex with them? Are there pimps too? Are we going to see stories of Avatars being traffic'd and forced into prostition?

I'm getting to old for this modern living malarky.

(Aliens because this is all pretty alien to me.)

19. Steven
    Alert

Amy Taylor, 28

Yeah ok! Someone needs to add VAT to that...

20. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

GTA4

If he'd been playing gta4 he would of pistol whipped the prostitute to death after sex and got his money back, that would have changed his wifes bull crap decision immidiatly.

21. Joe Flynn

Clearly

The actual reason they split up is because the guy said he didn't love her anymore. And he was talking romantically and sexually with a real person, using an electronic medium. How would you feel if your partner was sending dirty texts to someone else?

22. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

hey!

what happened to the pics? did the metro news bust you for nicking them off their site.

naughty! naughty!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@madra

"i wonder if beautiful people go on second life"

I doubt it

24. Simon Painter
    Heart

Picking up men on video games?

My moneys on him being bald and her being a fat chick.

25. James O'Brien
    Joke

@have a fealing

FREE WILLIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@AC 'Fat Americans'

As Daily Mail readers would rant 'This is an example of bad American influences along with McDonalds enduced obesity as opposed to celery munching euro communism.'

Hang on, I like a crafty Big Mac and the occasional crack at Halo. Am I following the fat yank role model? Probably. Better than being compared to a euro cretin. Just.

I'll get my coat. Anyone want anything from McDs?

27. Chris G

What we need

Is the technology to pixelate second lifers so that they can be sucked into their monitors and uploaded into the game.

Then we can turn the damned thing off.

28. Mark C
    Thumb Up

(untitled)

Read the article without noticing the link. Read the comments and went back and found the link .... cheers guys .... laughed like a drain.

I'm not sure there is anything sadder than only being able to get the Metro interested in your sad story about your sad lives.

29. Robert Oakes
    Joke

do these people live in the real world

OMG, how sad are these people , reading this story made me smile, what makes it even funnier that she has found a new love in WoW!!!! Both of these people need to make contact with the real word and get a real world friends.........

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cheating

Sex wtih a virtual character is cheating? Gee, if that's her way of thinking, I think the guy is better of with out her.

31. Greg

And y'all make fun of Americans

But you'll notice, the 55 year-old Yank is a lot thinner and prettier than the 28 year-old Brit.

I wish Second Life made you take a webcam shot of yourself and then turned it into your avatar. But then Sadville would look more like Wisconsin.

32. Chris C

@Shane Orahilly

"Did you read the whole article? "he didn't love me any more" sounds pretty much like he preferred his fantasies to reality, no?"

Yes, I did read the whole article, including that part. I also know that just because she claimed he said it doesn't necessarily mean he really said it. Even if he did, that doesn't indicate whether he had been neglecting her in favor of his fantasies or not. Yes, we can guess, but that's all it is -- a guess. Many people pretend everything is OK when they're no longer in love, right up to the moment they decide to leave.

33. Simon
    Paris Hilton

Wisconsin.

Is that the place they went to in Top Gear?

Paris 'cause she'd know all about top gear

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unsurprising

Look at the linked article, with the pictures of the real and virtual people...

What a contrast!

Anyway, the graphics are better in ASCII.

35. Florence

55 y.o?

Not on that picture in the Sun surely? Having said that, even 20 years later, she probably still looks younger than 28 y.o. Amy.

And I'd love to see their WoW avatars too. I somehow don't think Amy will have done the right thing and picked an Orc Warrior.

36. Thomas

In other news....

...a ten year old boy was recently arrested for the savage murder of a priest. Revelling in his shameless murder of a Warrior Priest of Sigmar, witnesses claim that he bellowed "LULZ PWNED UR AZZ" and spared no thought for his innocent victims friends or family, who are believed to be devestated by the death.

37. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Thumb Down

Cyber-Saddos

Human gene-pool, exit stage left.

38. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re:Phwoah!

"i wonder if beautiful people go on second life and create fat, ugly, sweaty avatars?"

Yes, I did...... ;)

Although joking aside, it really is a dumping ground for lifes social misfits. That might be why I didn't fit in there, as I wasn't socially inept enough to be able to completely ignore the real world.

To those who argue that it is not cheating, well they met on the game, so their "first dates" were all online. So for him to be "shagging" somebody else on the game really is the equivalent of a normal person cheating. It is, at the end of the day, around the same as sending/receiving dirty texts from a member of the opposite sex.

Anyway, I hope they have sent their real pictures to their "new partners" because if you had pictured otherwise and then got lumped with one of them, you'd be rather disappointed....

39. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Ugh

I am so sick and tired of all the 'OMG WHAT LOSERS' comments that follow stories like this. Online games are a lot more social than people seem to think. How is this different to meeting people through any other hoby/interest, or even through a dating agency? A few of my friends have met people through online games, and are now engaged to these people. These are not ugly, socially inept nerds like people always seem to assume. These are normal people who met someone through a shared interest. Stop being so judgemental.

40. Simon B
    Joke

NODDY

Fortunately for Taylor, online romance is a tree with many fruits. She said after being down for a while, she's found a new man on the online game, Noddy leaves toytown for the day

41. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

RE: Ugh

"Online games are a lot more social than people seem to think."

Yeah but Second Life isn't an on-line game.

It's a glorified chat server. Graphics aside, they haven't changed much since pre-www days.

If your hobby is "talking to strangers" then you deserve what's coming to you.

When I was a kid we even an animated cat called Charlie warning us against talking to strangers. I must have missed the follow up ad when he went on to say "but marrying them is ok".

..and just how does a woman manage to get so fat and ugly at age 28? By putting a stack of pies next to her keyboard so that she doesn't have to go "AFK" when she needs to stuff her fat face?

Paris - 'cos that's what I look like irl, honest!

42. Peter Stern

She's ridiculous... I wouldn't love her either

With this woman's ridiculous idea of what cheating is, I wouldn't love her either.

43. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Bloody hell.

Those two have their own gravity!

Get out & get some exercise the pair of you (he says sitting at his keyboard munching away & slurping coffee).

:-)

44. Rick Brasche
    Thumb Up

I purposely create fat avatars in games

first, it's fun when Studly BiggusDickus gets killed by a character that's fat, fifty and balding. Second, you don't get hassled by women characters (and the men that play 'em) doing the old a/s/l or "cyber for loot" crap.

the few people or situations where I care about interacting with someone out of game, then they aren't disappointed:) At least I still have hair and am under 40 anyways

45. hey_may
    Paris Hilton

RE: Clearly

Well said. The article states "...and said he didn't love me any more,"

SAID HE DIDN'T LOVE ME ANY MORE.

What a completely rubbish story, move along please nothing to see.

46. Les Matthew

@Greg

"But you'll notice, the 55 year-old Yank is a lot thinner and prettier than the 28 year-old Brit."

There are always exceptions to the rule. ;)

This topic is closed for new posts.