back to article Uncle Sam, D-Link told to battle in court over claims of shoddy device security: Judge snubs summary judgment bids

America's trade watchdog's case against network device maker D-Link will go ahead next January – after a district judge rebuked the two sides for wasting money drawing up and filing demands for summary judgments. The US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) brought its lawsuit against Taiwanese D-Link early last year in California, …

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

"Ah paid to see an ass-beatin', and an ass-beatin' is what ah expects to see!"

2. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

"...a host of alleged bad practices..."

I've benefited from their bad practice of using shoddy C12 capacitors in their DGS-1024 24-port gigabit switches. Buy for next to nothing, replace capacitor, cheap switch. Thank you D-link.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that a household having four spares is entirely justifiable.

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Re: "...a host of alleged bad practices..."

"On the other hand, I'm not sure that a household having four spares is entirely justifiable."

Making a profit by selling off two would be entirely justifiable.

3. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

I miss groklaw.net

4. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

D-link products are a bit shit. News at 11.

They've been shit for decades. Normally the only time you buy D-link is when it's a very lightly re-branded piece of kit that's known to be decent, and that if it features firmware, can be updated directly from the manufacturer.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: D-link products are a bit shit. News at 11.

"Normally the only time you buy D-link is when it's a very lightly re-branded piece of kit that's known to be decent, and that if it features firmware, can be updated directly from the manufacturer."

Actually, I could buy only D-Link products that are dumb and non-configurable: PoE injectors, transceivers, antennas etc. Even L2 switches when latency, buffers etc are of no importance.

Of course, I could just as well procure even cheaper brands for those operations. TP-Link comes to mind...

1. Tom 35

Re: D-link products are a bit shit. News at 11.

I had one of their wifi routers. With only 3 devices connected to it I had to reboot it every 2 days. The dumb switch I had was OK.

5. Wolfclaw

D-LInk guilty, now bend over and accept judgement !

1. Fatman
      Joke

RE: now bend over and accept judgement !

YFTL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdFLPn30dvQ

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ummm...

{cough} Cisco {cough} to such a level that a degree that I'd call it willfully malicious in the TLA's favor.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Device change Password back to Default and Allow Login from the WEB

My last DLINK device was a VONAGE adapter/Wireless Router I bought in 2008. It would allow you to change the default SSID but no matter what you do it would change the WIFI password back to the default but retain the SSID. The default password was of course password.

It gets worst.

It would also change to the default to allow login on the WAN port from the rest of the world no matter what you do and change the login and password for accessing the router back to the default spontaneously. You do a config and save it and it seems ok. You can log out and log back in with the new login you configured. A few days later you cant login with the configured login, but you are able to login with the default. Surprisingly, only the security config would return to default, all the other configuration changes are retained.

We purchased the router from VONAGE who refused to provide any support. I have not used a single D-Link device since.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like