back to article Till Microsoft finds it a place on the path unwinding, it's the circle, the circle of Skype

Microsoft is looking to 2019 and tinkering with Skype as the Windows 10 October 2018 update continues its lonely wanderings. Windows Insider train rolls on, October 2018 Update MIA While the Windows 10 October 2018 Update wanders the wilderness, Microsoft has kept slinging installs of next year's Windows at eager Fast Track …

1. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
    Windows

SysInternals tools for Linux? Interesting.

They seem to be doing so much for Linux, with Windows 10 touted as the "last" version of Windows, it makes me wonder if an MS Linux distribution will be replacing Windows any time soon? (Windows Server, or Windows desktop, not sure which...)

And no, I'm not trying to troll here, just thinking out loud. I mean, why spend money on things that aren't going to earn you money? Yes, I know, they'll use the SysInternals Linux tools for Azure, but even so...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"SysInternals tools for Linux? Interesting."

* cough * dtrace * cough *

Although I guess it doesn't support registry debugging for when MS finally port the registry to Linux?....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

AC,

I also thought dtrace :)

Also available (sort of ...) on linux !!!

How about porting dtrace to Windows ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What advantage would ever have Microsoft? Remember the Linux Kernel is under GPL. They would need to open so much it would become easier to run Windows software on other distro - actually killing many golden eggs chicken for MS.

My bet is Nadella will be shown the door well before... as soon as the board understands the damage he's doing to Windows because he can't take it's head out of the Azure hole. And once Windows no longer dominates at least one end point - the desktop one which is still the backbone of most businesses, Azure won't look a great solution to many.

1. Teiwaz

as soon as the board understands the damage he's doing to Windows

Is he though? - nothing I've seen OSSed by MS so far compromises their hold (added features and hamfisted updates to windows maybe).

All the love linux attention has been all about making it easy to run linux on an MS platform where they get to be payed.

2. Updraft102

as soon as the board understands the damage he's doing to Windows because he can't take it's head out of the Azure hole.

What makes you think they're not cheering him on as he damages Windows as you describe? If you live and die by share prices and profits as they do, things could hardly be any better. I tend to think they're just as eager to shed their "legacy" roots and move fully into the cloud as is Nadella.

2. sorry, what?
    Unhappy

Skype changes... worrying for some

The desktop client can be configured to auto-answer. This is ideal for people who want to be able to call a friend or relative who is suffering from dementia or another illness that prevents them from being able to understand or physically interact with an incoming call request. All you have to do is make sure the PC/laptop is always on and is facing the right way to view the recipient, then set Skype up to auto-answer.

I noticed a few weeks back that Skype (even the desktop client) was not correctly initializing - once up after initial boot and login to the PC/laptop, you had to click on the "join a conversation" button to make the client complete initialization and allow incoming calls to be auto-answered.

Now I wonder whether the web-based replacement will work with auto-answer at all.

Anyone know?

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Alien Goings-On ..... An Almighty Help in New Virgin Spaces.

Description: Sysinternals process dump utility

ProcDump is a command-line utility whose primary purpose is monitoring an application for various resources and generating crash dumps during a spike that an administrator or developer can use to determine the cause of the issue. ProcDump also served as a general process dump utility that you can embed in other scripts. .... https://github.com/Microsoft/ProcDump-for-Linux/commit/707ab0c24e95a273a27274d26ae5e983a5e66933

That's Clever .... and Delivers Advanced IntelAIgent Leverage in Live Operational Virtual Environments to LOVE Space Realtors .... Furnishing Heavenly Safe Havens and Perfect Covens with Future Play for Today to Provide Tomorrow with Greater IntelAIgent Future Deliveries ....... for Mega MainStream Media to Manufacture with Other IntelAIgents, the Presentation of Current AI Developments for Future Utility in Extant Operating Systems. ....... thus Preventing Executive Office Administration Extinction Events in Favour of Greater Things Done for Universal Sharing.

Is Microsoft well deep into such as is all that and so much more about everything? Are they daunted by all that lays ahead, and in a petrified business state rather than being terrorised by rogue renegade possibilities?

RSVP ..... Microsoft

4. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Linux

WindowsOS X

It would be amusing if Microsoft embraced open standards while Apple continues to seal themselves off from the rest of the world. It's like Apple forgot what helped save them from going out of business.

1. Not That Andrew

Re: WindowsOS X

A massive infusion of cash by Microsoft?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like