back to article Nice work if you can get it: GandCrab ransomware nets millions even though it has been broken

The infamous GandCrab malware infection has netted its operators an estimated nine-figure payout from targeting large, high-value corporate systems. This according to security house Bitdefender, who reckon that in the last two months alone victims have forked over more than a quarter of a billion dollars to crooks in order to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Dear Reg

All your stories are belong to us. If you want to restore them, please pay $1m in bitcoin to a.commentard@el.reg. Thank you.

2. Tezfair
    Unhappy

backups are all well and good...

So long as they are detached from the computer at the point of infection, else they will also be encryted. Went to a customers house and everything, pc and ext hdd all encrypted. Only it was some 2 weeks prior to my visit so I gave an explanation and left.

1. DropBear
      Trollface

Re: backups are all well and good...

...which is where a mind-bogglingly lazy backup schedule actually comes in handy - yeah sure you'll lose whatever happened since the last backup (which is not all that much in my case), but doing them so rarely makes it really likely you'll notice an infection before it gets to spread to the external HDD. Not sure; but really likely...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like