back to article Super Cali goes ballistic, net neutrality hopeless? Even Ajit Pai's gloating is something quite atrocious

The US state of California has agreed to put its controversial net neutrality law on hold pending a legal challenge against it from the federal government. Cali governor Jerry Brown signed Senate Bill 822 (SB-822) into law on the last day of September – the last day he was able to before leaving office. The federal government …

1. Adrian 4

"internet access is an "interstate information service," and therefore federal rules supersede any state laws."

He's wrong there. It's not interstate, it's intercountry. So global rules supersede any federal rules.

Do spacecraft use IP ? If so, it doesn't stop at global.

1. Mark 85

We're talking Pai here who's firmly in the rear pocket of the big providers pants. Even if the Telco's lose, they will win if for no other reason than prices for service have already started going up. So extra profit until the lawsuits are settled in probably 8 years.

2. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

Yes, but IP traffic from the ISS is carried over proprietary links from the USA (at least, on the US side of the thing) and so is akin to an internal network like the one you probably have at home. Except moving faster. As such, rules governing ISPs are not relevant.

1. DavCrav

"Yes, but IP traffic from the ISS is carried over proprietary links from the USA (at least, on the US side of the thing)"

Does that work when the ISS is not over the US? I have no idea how the ISS Internet service works, and you seem to know.

1. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

Sorry, I missed your question!

Short answer is yes, it does, because the data path is through the TDRSS, which bounces signals across satellites until they can drop to White Sands or Guam in some circumstances. The slightly longer answer notes that there is also a high-bandwidth channel, but as it also goes through TDRS -> WSMR/Guam the same applies, but just that that channel is not available full-time.

2. Kane
        Joke

"Yes, but IP traffic from the ISS is carried over proprietary links from the USA (at least, on the US side of the thing) and so is akin to an internal network like the one you probably have at home. Except moving faster. As such, rules governing ISPs are not relevant."

They can't stop the signal, Mal. They can never stop the signal.

1. southen bastard

up vote for the reference to serenity, going to watch that series again right now,

dark matter is pretty good watching it for the third time

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Happy

"Yes, but IP traffic from the ISS is carried over proprietary links from the USA (at least, on the US side of the thing) and so is akin to an internal network like the one you probably have at home. Except moving faster. As such, rules governing ISPs are not relevant."

But the internet is a network of networks, so any network that is connected is part of the thing, including your home LAN :-)

3. MachDiamond Silver badge

" and therefore federal rules supersede any state laws."

California could implement a law that can only apply to companies with "a presence" in California. That would mean an office or agent. With so many tech companies in the state, the law would encompass a S-ton of online companies.

I wonder if that moron they have heading up the FCC received one of those special packages with the PVC and a clock. He's not qualified to do the job and is a complete menace.

4. Jtom

Nonsense. The US, nor the UK for that matter, has ever subordinated their sovereignty to any global organization, including the U.N., so there are no ‘global rules’ superseding federal. (US states subordinated their laws to the federal government when they signed on to the Constitution).

2. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

Dumb Diddly Diddly Diddly Dumb Diddly Diddly Pai?

Don't bother, I've shot myself.

1. Robert E A Harvey

baffled now

Is it cooler to ignore or acknowledge the headline writer's obvious skills?

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Re: baffled now

I gather that The Sun newspaper on 8th February 2000 reported the result of a football game, where team Caledonian Thistle beat Celtic 3-1.

"Super Caley Go Ballistic, Celtic Are Atrocious."

Since then, there has been much of the sincerest form of flattery.

I bet YOU could do one about the British government "Budget" of October 2018, and it doesn't start till about an hour from now. I'll give you "future growth endogenous" as an option. Endogenous economic growth, which is an actual thing, is the best kind of economic growth. [citation needed]

3. DerekCurrie
    Go

IASSOTS

Kick proven puppet-liar Ajit Pai's deceitful abuse of We The People OUT of my country! You are NOT alone California! The MAJORITY of US citizens are with you!

"Legislators in 30 states have introduced over 72 bills requiring internet service providers to ensure various net neutrality principles. In 13 states and the District of Columbia, legislators introduced 23 resolutions primarily expressing opposition to the Federal Communications Commission's (FCC) repeal of net neutrality rules; urging the U.S. Congress enact legislation reinstating and requiring the preservation of net neutrality; or stating the chamber’s support of general net neutrality principles.

"Governors in six states—Hawaii, New Jersey, New York, Montana, Rhode Island, Vermont—have signed executive orders.Three states—Oregon, Vermont, and Washington—enacted net neutrality legislation."

National Conference of State Legislators

http://www.ncsl.org/research/telecommunications-and-information-technology/net-neutrality-legislation-in-states.aspx

The article linked above lists and keeps track of ALL state's net neutrality bills and enacted laws. Corporatocracy by puppetry will NOT survive The Will Of The People!

BTW: Spectrum-Charter is still on course to be thrown out of NYS for lying to my government in its contract to buy Time Warner Cable. Good riddance.

4. Mystic Megabyte

"A man's good name is worth a thousand gold mines". Is that a quote from the Bible? (i can't remember)

Anyway, Ajit Pai is an arsehole and I would not employ him to walk my dog.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Ajit Pai is an arsehole

That's not a very nice thing to compare genuine arseholes to.

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Indeed, arseholes have a valuable function.

5. King Jack
    Big Brother

When NN was to be repealed, the ISPs said it would not make any difference to their business model and nothing would change. Why then do they want things to change? Greater profits and spying on their customers. Make America grate again. I cringe when I look over the pond.

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Flame

"the decision reflected the fact that California knows it is going to lose"

Oh man is it a good thing I am not California's governor. I hear that and I would immediately put the law into practice just to show that I am confident I'm going to win.

I just hate it when some jackass takes advantage of me being reasonable to assert that he is right.

Right my ass.

7. Andy Mac

States’ Rights....

...seem very important when they’re pushing a conservative agenda. Now, they’re just an inconvenience.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: States’ Rights....

"Conservative agenda?" Isn't that what got overridden when Obama installed NN by fiat, with no attempt to legislate it whatsoever? That was pretty inconvenient too.

1. jonathan keith

Inconvenient for the Executives of Cable companies and their bonuses.

2. MachDiamond Silver badge

""Conservative agenda?" Isn't that what got overridden when Obama installed NN by fiat, with no attempt to legislate it whatsoever? That was pretty inconvenient too."

NN is about the only thing Obama did that I could agree with, but it was in place long before he was in office.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> "...it was in place long before he was in office."

Not so. True, there was plenty of talk, but nothing was going to happen legislatively, and Obama knew it. That's why he built that sand castle called Net Neutrality for us all. Then Trump came along and kicked it over. That's what happens to sand castles.

3. sprograms

Obama's penchant for side-stepping congress allowed him to avoid great labors, persuasion. He therefore built many castles of sand.

1. Orv Silver badge

To be fair, having a Congress that declared from the start that their goal was to make him a failure didn't leave him much choice. Even things that Republicans used to support became anathema once Obama's name was attached. My wife suggested he should have written an executive order banning Republicans from jumping off cliffs, so that they would all do so in protest.

8. CPU

Best headline ever- I'll be humming that puppy all day now.

9. Orv Silver badge

It will be interesting to see if the FCC's "we don't have the authority to regulate this, but our non-regulation preempts your regulation" legal theory flies. The Supreme Court is now packed with conservatives, but not all of them are Trump toadies, and the ones that aren't are not big fans of federal power.

10. Robert Helpmann??
    Coat

Easy as Pai, Piece of Maki

That, as Pai knows well, is nonsense, though he was already on a roll...

Would that be a California Roll?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like