back to article US congress-critters question prime directive of Pentagon's $10bn JEDI cloud contract

A pair of US congressmen are calling for an investigation into the Pentagon's $10bn single-vendor IT contract dubbed JEDI – aka the Joint Enterprise Defense Infrastructure. House Reps Tom Cole (R-OK) and Steve Womack (R-AR) have sent a letter asking the inspector general of the Department of Defense (DOD) to probe and report …

1. MichaelBirks

Missing Blakes.

Blake 5 was a dream given form. Hiss goal: to prevent another war by creating a place where humans and aliens could work out their differences peacefully. It's a port of call, home away from home for diplomats, hustlers, entrepreneurs, and wanderers. Humans and aliens wrapped in two million, five hundred thousand tons of spinning metal, all alone in the night

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Missing Blakes.

Wasn't Blake's 7 that woman in the shiny spandex with the eyepiece?

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Coat

Is that what Brian Crouchers doing these days?

Icon: looking for my Liberator teleport bracelet

2. wayward4now
        Boffin

"Wasn't Blake's 7 that woman in the shiny spandex with the eyepiece?"

Not to mention the laser optical tubing that accentuated her curvy curves.

2. jeff_w87

The big question is now: How much money did IBM and Oracle (and probably a few other potential vendors not named Amazon) give to these two? As we all know, America's government is bought and paid for by the highest bidder nowadays (thanks Citizen's United!). Maybe one day we can take it back at the polls, maybe institute some term limits and major limits on lobbying for elected officials. Pipe dream, I know....

3. EveryTime

This has nothing to do with the technology or capability of the presumptive winner (AWS). It has everything to do with political manipulation to keep out the new kid on the block. (Not that Amazon is completely new, but the defense contractors trying to torpedo the contract have been entrenched for a good part of a century.)

4. Mark 85

AWS?

I would hope that if they get the contract that they and DoD sort out the passwords on the servers, etc. Seems there's been too much in the news about wide open buckets, etc. from AWS lately. Given the antagonism of Trump/Bezos I wonder how AWS is the so-called leading contender?

And this does have a smell of a targeted contract to a pre-selected contractor though.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Hey, if you are going to name a $10 billion project JEDI...

Then obviously to maintain narrative consistency, you have to single-source it and include a catastrophic single point of failure. Something like an un-shielded server heat exhaust port out of the data center. That way a teen-ager can take out the whole server farm by throwing a pipe bomb in the vent!

(Seriously guys, am I the only one who actually watched these movies?!?)

/sarcasm off

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't lobbyists writing bills and RFPs

Pretty much SOP in Washington? Why are they asking a question they know the answer to, about something that there's a 99% chance they themselves have taken part in previously?

1. FrozenShamrock

Re: Isn't lobbyists writing bills and RFPs

Because their pay master didn't write this one.

7. David Roberts
    Windows

Long time ago

But when I was doing bid work the advice was that if you weren't involved in writing the requirements it was usually a waste of time bidding.

I assume many sales people from many suppliers were shoulder bumping to get their USP included.

Kudos to whoever swung the "of course, you will need the highest level of accreditation" knowing that they were the only ones who could meet it.

Hard to counter with "it doesn't really need to be that secure" - not a positive message.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pentagon: we want to use a single vendor so we don’t need to do any integration

Oracle: you should go with multiple vendors, because we make a lot of our money from doing integration. And we can point our fingers at the other guys when everything goes wrong

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

yeah, but...

The worry, say the pair, is that the requirements for the JEDI contract are so specific that Uncle Sam would end up overpaying for a system it could have obtained for a better price and at a higher quality had it broken the contract into smaller parts that made more providers eligible

"better price"? "higher quality?" Yeah, but what does that have to do with IBM and Oracle?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like