back to article Virus screener goes down, Intel patches more chips, Pegasus government spying code spreads across globe

When we weren't dealing with malware bricked-breweries, poorly-wiped servers or litigious vendors, we had a number of other security headaches to keep busy with. Here's a few of them. Gov pay sites pilfered Government pay portals were in the crosshairs of cybercriminals this week. First, there was GovPayNow, who got the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

News Roundup? - Dumbing down of the Reg!!!

What's with the 5-in-1 BBC copycat news round-up? 1-Story 1-Page is sharper. Less chance of news being overlooked. Govt-Hacks & Global-Spyware to crush political dissent, each deserve their own in-depth article!

1. Waseem Alkurdi

Re: News Roundup? - Dumbing down of the Reg!!!

What's with the 5-in-1 BBC copycat news round-up?

This isn't new stuff, they've been doing it for some time now.

Less chance of news being overlooked.

Personally, I find that they'd be less overlooked than if they were each in an article.

That's ny opinion though, no accounting for taste.

2. Waseem Alkurdi

For some Linux builds (such as Debian) the microcode update can also be downloaded and updated manually.

Microcode loading has been a standard feature of the mainline Linux kernel for ages, and the microcode files are available at Intel's website.

1. Spazturtle Silver badge

Windows also loads microcode. and so does the Grub bootloader, so your BIOS may load v1.0.1, Grub may then load v1.1.0 and then finally the OS will load v1.1.1

3. Mark 85

Intel's plan....meh.

For most machines, the updates will be distributed to OS and/or mootherboard vendors who will then put them out to end users.

This will work like the proverbial lead submarine. I'll believe it when I see something from the "vendor" telling me where I can find my patch.

1. Deckard_C

Re: Intel's plan....meh.

Best bet seem to be via OS update if you are running Linux or Windows 10. For Windows 10 like the previous microcode update it's a standalone so you have to go searching for it in the Microoft Update Catalog, search for KB4346086. Targeted for Windows 10 Version 1703.

I do wonder what percentage of PC out there that need the microcode update actually has this one or the previous one, I supect it's not very high.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does anyone proofread anymore?

The first stage of the campaign typically started with the attacker uploading a SJavaWebManage webshell to facilitate interaction with the compromised Click2Gov webserver

That would be the second stage, how is the ‘compromised Click2Gov webserver' compromised in the first place?

If the log files exists, FIREALARM copies the MAC (Modified, Accessed, Created) times to later timestompref

5. Random Q Hacker

Scanning for viruses is illegal?

Why is it illegal to run a private virus scanning service?

1. Spazturtle Silver badge

Re: Scanning for viruses is illegal?

It isn't, there are companies that offer the same service. They twisted other laws in order to convict him of something that isn't even a crime.

1. EJ

Re: Scanning for viruses is illegal?

1) Read the EULAs - my guess is this case likely violated agreements in some fashion. 2) Aiding and abetting is a crime last I checked... you'd probably ring up some charges if you tried to run an Uber-like service for bank robbers, too.

6. Oengus

Some of the countries

many of those customers paying NSO top dollar have less than sparkling reputations.

Would that happen to include USA, UK, Canada, NZ and Australia???

1. EnviableOne

Re: Some of the countries

Nah, between NSA and GCHQ, they will have their own one.

7. onefang
    Coat

"the updates will be distributed to OS and/or mootherboard vendors"

Are these Copy On Write mootherboards?

Mines a leather coat, with a beef steak in the pocket.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Pegasus also appears to be in use by countries with dubious human rights records and histories of abusive behaviour by state security services"

The US of course!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Updated list of CPU's?

Is there an updated list of cpu's with microcode being supplied?

My main computer was on the list of cpu's Intel said they wouldn't be making updates for. I'd like to know if that's changed.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like