back to article Microsoft Azure gains Availability Zones and Immutable Blobs

Microsoft has announced two more Azure availability zones and hit the red button on Immutable Storage in what must have been a breathless few days for its Azure team. Keeping the Azure lights on The West US 2 and North Europe regions have gained Azure Availability Zones as Microsoft was still reeling from the discovery that …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

"can be created and read, but not updated or deleted"

So basically this is optical storage in The Cloud (TM).

I'm guessing there's a business case here, but I'll be damned if I can think of one.

If you cannot update the data, then you're archiving. Even on The Cloud (TM), archiving is not new. If you're making procedures available, then not updating is nonsense.

Nope. Can't think of any use. Oh well.

1. RyokuMas
      Facepalm

Re: "can be created and read, but not updated or deleted"

It does have that feel of "here's a solution, invent a problem for it"...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Harold Shipman changed medical records in a murder spree. There's one use case. Anywhere where you can't allow changes to a document, but to *supersede it* (and keep a time-retained copy) has a use case. Financial contracts are one of these. Can't go and change the SLAs after the fact...

Am curious how this works with a GDPR subject-delete request.

1. IamStillIan

Presumably it's intended for legally required retention, and as such subject-delete request's will be refused.

1. Chris Hills

How is this different to an access control list? An administrator could surely just delete the entire pool, or are they saying they guarantee it will be there for time immemorial?

3. CharliePsycho
      Black Helicopters

If there is an incident (think air crash) or security incident, then all data referring to that incident has to be put on hold so that forensic investigators can look at it. You have to prove it's been put on hold and nobody (including admins who may have caused the incident in the first place) have played with it.

2. Flakk

An Availability Zone...

...is a unique physical location in each Azure Region and is made up of one or more data centres equipped with independent power, cooling and networking.

They hope.

3. CPU

Time limited immutable data storage, seems a little oxymoron ¬_¬

4. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

"bean-counters will be delighted to learn that there is no additional charge"

I think there's a missing "yet" on the end of that phrase..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like