back to article Yahoo! shares tumble as Ballmer shuts coffin on Microhoo

This week, Yahoo! chief Jerry Yang said "the best thing for Microsoft is to buy Yahoo!" But Steve Ballmer doesn't see it that way. Chatting at a business lunch in Sydney today, The AP reports, Ballmer reiterated that Microhoo is well and truly dead. "We made an offer, we made another offer, and it was clear that Yahoo didn't …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

For the love of God....

Somebody please fire Jerry Yang before he completely devalues Yahoo!'s shares!

2. Bill Gould
    Gates Halo

Burned

Buh-bye Yahoo.

3. Andus McCoatover
    Jobs Horns

Why do the two words..

...STUPID BUNNY

spring so readily to mind?

(Paris, or someone who should be shagging her, not Yahoo!!!, natch)

4. kain preacher

Some one is laughing

Why settle for $13 a share ?? wait till the stock complete tanks, then offer to buy them out just for their debt .

5. kain preacher

News flash

Altavista has just hired Yang. They hope that Yang will turns things around for them

6. Kenny Swan
    Thumb Up

sniff..sniff...

Is that the smell of desperation in the air..? Or is it panic..?

7. Kiminao
    Paris Hilton

Dumb, just dumb all round...

MS was dumb for wanting to buy Yahoo! for 40 BILLION dollars instead of building their own search engine--seriously, $40 BILLION couldn't build one world-class search engine?

And now Yahoo! is dumb for even suggesting that a deal would have been a good idea... Dumb, dumb, and desperately dumb.

Both those companies should fall to dust--and I say this as someone who actually maintains three Yahoo! mail accounts.

Paris, because for $40 billion _she_ could build a better search engine...

8. Chris iverson
    Thumb Up

Brilliant

Ballmer did what he set out to do. make an offer and watch the opposing company tank. Ahh Steve well played

9. vincent himpe

two words

dumb ass..

10. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Dear Steve....

Sorry I was an ungrateful ingrate who couldn't tell that Yahoo was becoming an also-ran search provider. I should also apologize to my shareholders for turning down a $33 per share offer and taking them down to $12.

Pretty please can you make another offer? It doesn't have to be $33, I'd probably settle for $15.

Lots of love

Jerry

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Chris iverson

I refuse to believe that Ballmer's smart enough to pull that off

12. Morten Bjoernsvik

The circle completes

Back in 2001 or something Fast sold off their alltheweb.com search engine to Yahoo. Last year Microsoft bought Fast.

13. Andy Worth

Pleh....

Yahoo! has been a second-rate search engine for many years anyway. MS should launch their own services instead of trying to buy Yahoo, which would devalue Yahoo yet further, to the point at which they'd probably be trying to give the company away.

The only people I feel sorry for are the shareholders of Yahoo, who can only stand to lose out, as I cannot see any way realistically that their shares will ever be valued at $33 again.

14. Mike Groombridge

@AC of @chris iverson

maybe not steve but his corporate team will have adviced it for 2 reasons

one. Alot of they investors were venture capatalists looking to make a buck and it looked like microsoft had offered them a way to make that buck plus some extra. this was bound to make the board nervous of split the broad some in favor some not. especially after yahoo had brought some profitless start-ups recently that had no benifit

Two. if they except you get they webmail users search users and advertising revenue can trim out the fat and become a google rival in the Advertising field or argueing amoung broad members causes the share price to drop makeing them cheaper for a second attempt to buy or causing them to go broke and you gain a market spot that way.

failed purchase attempts nearly always cause the company being brought to have a share price drop a sad fact of life.

and with the bad moves yahoo have made it's not surprise they would now be looking to sell themselfs

15. Aetyr
    Paris Hilton

@ steven kraft

"Somebody please fire Jerry Yang before he completely devalues Yahoo!'s shares!"

You mean you want them to go back into the past and fire him then?

Paris, because only she can go down faster than Yahoo's stocks...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big black dogs

Who owns Lycos these days?

17. Chris Morrison
    Flame

Love it

Yahoo's small shareholders should file a class-action suit on Yang and the whole yahoo board for rejecting microsofts early bid. I can't believe the shares are down to a 1/3 of their previous value.

If you ask me thought the true value of Yahoo is probably nearer $5 a share. How do they plan on providing growth to their shareholders?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like