back to article Rubrik says bye to global sales boss

Cloud data management biz Rubrik has split with its worldwide sales boss who, according to the company, hung up his boots to spend more time with his family after breaking quarterly "booking" records. Mark Smith joined Rubrik in February 2017 as exec veep for global sales and business development, and now, 19 months later, he …

1. Korev Silver badge
    Joke

Working environment

So did he get his own office or did he have a Rubrik's Cube?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting timing

Hearing they’ve been missing targets for awhile.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Missing targets?

I don’t know about that, but the targets must be incredible to justify how much VC capital they have raised to get to them.

Maybe Mr. Smith realized that due to dilution, his equity stake might yield enough $$ to wallpaper his bathroom if Rubrik can ever make it to exit at all. Better to take a fat commission check and get out, rather than presiding over the inevitable tanking.

Godspeed, Mr Tornincasa...if anyone can pull it out, it is you.

4. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

I hope that the picture is a visual pun...

...as the cube is attributed to Rubik.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Smells a bit fishy.

This makes little sense. You work at a pre-IPO start up with a short term view of making a stack of cash when they either go public or get bought up. If they've having record qtrs the going is good and the family is being well fed..

Even if the going is tough, you hang in as long as you can so your RSU's vest each new qtr you survive, typically after you've completed your first year of service.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They do seem to have a high staff turnover and word in the industry is it is unbelievably "corporate" for a startup.

There's a comment on another Rubrik story on here from an ex-staffer who claimed numerous refunds and de-books due to the products being rushed and not living up to claims. As a sales guy, de-books are your worst nightmare, particularly if at scale.

1. Secta_Protecta

I was there for a short time and I left because I wasn't impressed with the product, organization, or culture being pushed down from above. There were indeed returns as I saw them myself, although maybe they've got themselves into gear and improved the product by now. Hopefully...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like