back to article Dead boffins deflate the cloud

Like Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) and Web 2.0 before it, the phrase "cloud computing" has become catnip to marketing zealots and lost souls of the IT industry. Behind all the fluff, though, the cloud touches on some timeless computing topics - big systems, parallel processing, collected intelligence, and the value of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice idea

Should have run it past Verity Stob.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title required.

I want some of what the author is having.

3. Bill Cumming
    Linux

Watson might end up correct...

Think about it!

You've got Apple Cloud (when its working)

Then there's Microsoft's Cloud

Then there's Google's Cloud

Then Nokia's OVI might end up as a Cloud network.

Even Shuttleworth's Ubuntu might get on the Cloud Bandwaggon.

Every person in the world using 5 Massive computers to do all their day to day work using NetBooks or NetTerminals.

The Personal PC's cutting / bleeding edge will drift back to the enthusiasts and gamers.

4. jake Silver badge

::sighs::

I didn't personally know Tom Watson (although I worked at the Lab named after him).

I wasn't yet born when Alan Turing sadly took his own life, but I've studied his work.

But I knew Prof. Edsger at Austin. I attended Tuesday Afternoon Clubs with him presiding, when I could make it. I have a wet-ink EWD framed in a prominent place in my house, next to my nano-second.

Prof. E. would have told you your paper was poorly thought out, in excruciating detail.

I'll leave it there, I don't expect this to make it past the moderator ... but I hope it does.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Other debates

That was pretty amusing, and an interesting debate. How about other discussions such as how to clean up Afghanistan with Joseph Stalin (the loving touch of Stalinist Russia), Queen Victoria (how the British Empire would deal with it) and John Lennon (for a pacifists approach)?

6. Rafael
    Boffin

Pah!

Good story, but where are the Playmobil reenactments? You could even do a Robot Chicken and paste some eyes and mouth on the "actors"!

7. Gareth

Too sick

"Alan Turing paused from gnawing on an apple"

Eww.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like