back to article Footie fans calling for a red card over West Ham United CC email blunder

Fat-fingered staff at London football team West Ham United have upset some fans following a ticket confirmation email bungle. West Ham's email to away season ticket-holders confirming their ticket for tonight's (Tuesday) Football League Cup fixture at Wimbledon was CC'd to every intended recipient. The message should have been …

1. lglethal Silver badge
    Trollface

Embarrassing? Definitely...

" but these related to cases highlighting possible victims of sexual abuse or membership of a HIV support group.

I dont know, being outed as a West Ham supporter could be pretty distressing. :P

1. Korev Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Embarrassing? Definitely...

Are the Hammers a bit like the "Gammons" we've been hearing about so much recently?

2. Mystic Megabyte

?

Does this mean that the recipients are now in breach of GDPR if they don't delete the email?

1. 0laf
      Black Helicopters

Re: ?

I suppose yes. West Ham will have to contact everyone and apologies and tell them to delete the email.

If they don't and then deliberately misuse the data then they could well be in trouble, quite possibly much more trouble than West Ham. Handing out email addresses for footy supporters isn't likely to cause much additional harm. Email addresses are thrown around anyway. You'd be lucky not to be on a spammer's list somewhere already.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

One of the preparations for GDPR should have been to have email systems default to BCC: and/or staff training about this.

1. anothercynic Silver badge

@Doctor Syntax

No. One of the preparations for GDPR should've been to use MAILING LISTS that do not expose email addresses in the first place, NOT using address books with BCC:

Sorry, but I deal with this regularly.

2. noboard

Another problem is Outlook hides the BCC field by default. If it showed it, I'd imagine there'd be fewer cases of this happening.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        FAIL

Alas creating templates with BCC only seems to be too difficult for some people.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Another problem is Outlook hides the BCC field by default. If it showed it, I'd imagine there'd be fewer cases of this happening."

And just to compound things further, at least using O365 Outlook webmail, the reply button defaults to Reply All unless you dig through the settings and change it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Fat-fingered staff at London football team West Ham United have upset some fans following a ticket confirmation email bungle."

Ham-fisted surly.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Shat it you shlag!

5. Drone Pilot

You're doing it wrong?

Mass emails still being sent like this? With outlook? #LivingLikeIts2001

How big was blunder? 3 or 4 fans?

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: You're doing it wrong?

If that bothers you then you'll be terrified by how many companies are run on a combination of Excel sheets and maybe an Access database (running on Access 2003).

6. Valeyard

start the snowball

Someone on this list needs to reply all

then watch the thousands of "unsubscribe" "please stop" emails crash the mail system

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So now everyone knows CMD's mail address...

..or is it Villa he supports? It gets so confusing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like