back to article Datrium shifts disasters up the Amazon: Adds DR in AWS for on-prem kit

Datrium has introduced disaster-recovery-as-a-service to its existing on-premises DVX system. The new disaster recovery (DR) scheme backs up VMware server system data to Cloud DVX in AWS. If the on-premises DVX/VMware system fails, then a VMware Cloud on AWS is the failover DR site and CloudShift keeps that pre-seeded with …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cheaper Than Something It's Not

"cheaper than standard two-site DR with synchronous replication"

It's not offering synchronous replication to the cloud so no surprise the cost of Apple 1 is not he same as Orange A.

That does not necessarily mean it's a bad thing, but it's just not a fair comparison. It's a bit like saying a pint of milk is cheaper than two pints of cream.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What happened to their Sales Team?

Wondering why the recent RIF at Datrium hasn't received any coverage from you Chris?

Maybe this product announcement for mid next year will help...?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What happened to their Sales Team?

By "recent", how recent do you mean?

They've been letting some people go, and others have left, since Tim Page came on board. Unless you mean another round of cutting folks has happened in the past few days, the housecleaning has been happening over the past few weeks, and Chris did allude to it in other articles.

If you have some details on another really recent RIF, then please spill the beans. I haven't heard of anything in the past few days/weeks except for a few people here and there who left for greener pastures.

Regarding this announcement of theirs, I personally don't see it as anything earth shattering in terms of increasing bookings or moving the needle. But then, I'm not plugged into the DR space, so maybe this is more of a "wow!" than I'm giving it credit for. I'd like to see some comments from folks who deal with DR, and if this is something that looks appealing that they'd buy into.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I take it from the lack of responses that this is a "meh" announcement, and not generating much excitement in the DR space.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

There's nothing exciting about DR or DRaaS, it's like Insurance. Buying insurance is no one's idea of fun. And it's especially easy to berate something as funky-sounding as writing checks to defend our neighborhoods against apartment-size rocks from space. But this is one insurance pitch that makes perfect sense. Ask the dinos.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Well, there are several insurance companies, just like there are several DR solutions and vendors out there. Does Datrium's solution really offer something so spectacular that people are going to flock to it? I'm not seeing it.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Yeah, we think so: you don’t have to pay for a DR site until you use it, it’s bulletproof DR with continuous DR compliance checks, and it’s simple and offered as a service. what’s not to like?

--Datrium Employee

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like