back to article Be your own YouTube: Cloudflare Stream flies out of beta, emits vids

Does the world need another streaming platform? Cloudflare thinks so, and today it set its Cloudflare Stream beta (running for nearly a year) to general availability. The idea, as CEO Matthew Prince said to The Register, is to take what customers now buy as three products and turn them into one. Outside the safe embrace of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good timing

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

And..

.. if it gets popular, it'll turn into as much of an open sewer at YT.

1. cd

Re: And..

Just don't have comments.

2. chivo243 Silver badge
      Happy

I am hoping for the opposite... yes, I know, a bit of an optimist here ;-}

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I'm not sure why it should: the videos will still have to be hosted on your own server. But if Cloudflare can handle the tricky bits of transcoding to MP4, WebM, HEVC and the rest than that will take an awful lot of the grunt work of video and switching between CDN and origin sounds reasonable. I've just been looking at a customer's website which has a poor video service that isn't on the CDN that the rest of the website and Prince is absolutely right: the video takes over half-a-second to start streaming. He's probably also right about the target market of educational (for a given degree of educational) content: how-tos and the like.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Roboiii

Infowars

Be good for Alex Jones at this point.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like