back to article Top tip? Sprinkle bugs into your code to throw off robo-vuln scanners

Miscreants and researchers are using automation to help them find exploitable flaws in your code. Some boffins at New York University in the US have a solution to this, and it's a new take on "security through obscurity". Here it is: add more bugs to your software to throw the automatic scanners off the scent of really scary …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I might be missing something but rather than trying to obfuscate the bugs which scanners will find, why not use the scanner yourself and fix the highlighted bugs in the first place...?

1. psychonaut

i was thinking the same.

also - "Because the stack layout of a function is determined at compile time, we can control what data will be overwritten when the overflow occurs, which gives us an opportunity to ensure the overflow will not be exploitable."

surely you should be doing this in your own, non buggy, code anyway?

1. GIRZiM

Famous last words

"Because the stack layout of a function is determined at compile time, we can control what data will be overwritten when the overflow occurs, which gives us an opportunity to ensure the overflow will not be exploitable."

If it were that simple, there'd be no buffer overrun/underrun bugs in my code to start with.

And they want me to start adding them into my code on the basis that I'll be able to stay on top of them, not screwing up and bugging my non-exploitable bugs, whilst all the while not introducing any others that aren't accounted for?

Do they hail from some academe bastion of ivory, where the closest they ever get to a critical program is a day release programme?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I like your common sense approach and that should be standard practice anyway.

However do you think all scanners are available? If I was to write a scanner I certainly wouldn't make it available for code writers to use for testing their programs as it defeats the purpose of the scanner.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Given that released software does contain genuine bugs, it is evident that software devs can't find them all. This suggests bug scanners - and other methods of finding bugs - can't find all bugs all the time.

So if you suspect you have some genuine cracks in your castle wall it does you no harm to paint some some fake cracks as well.

When I first read the article, I was reminded of honey traps - the technique of having fake fake servers that resemble the real thing, so that a, you can detect an attack attempt, and b, attackers waste their time (or if you were being super cunning, come away with fake data that it suits you to have them believe is genuine)

2. 's water music
        Trollface

However do you think all scanners are available? If I was to write a scanner I certainly wouldn't make it available for code writers to use for testing their programs as it defeats the purpose of the scanner.

You would be doing it wrong then. First you sell the scanner to script kiddies, then you sell it as a security tool to rubbish devs and PHBs.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You'll never get the real rubbish devs, they're the ones who are totally convinced of how great they are that they'd never check their code for errors. Dunning Kruger being what it is and all.

3. macjules

But what the the fun be in that? Anything that involves a researcher called Yu Hu gets my adherence.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sprinkle crack on it

That is like saying well maybe if you are a good cop you wouldn't need to carry crack around to sprinkle on the body. Ok maybe not but torturing metaphors is fun.

2. SkippyBing

hide aeroplanes from enemy fighters by blowing their wings off mid-flight

Not exactly hiding, but it has been done...

http://thanlont.blogspot.com/2012/10/f8f-safety-tipsit-seemed-like-good-idea.html

3. herman

The old honey pot defence. It only works if the added cruft is actually safe, otherwise, it provides a very large number of unlocked back doors into your system.

In general, a honey trap toy can be great fun to play with, but usually requires a lot of work to maintain.

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Colossal Epic Fails .... an AI Thing of the Future

What could possibly go disastrously wrong, apart from everything?

5. Alan J. Wylie

Chaff?

The original name for chaff was "window". A fitting name for software with a generous sprinkling of bugs.

1. macjules

Re: Chaff?

Have an upvote sir. Best laugh of the day.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Chaff?

Chaff? Doesn't he work in Accounting?

6. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Also

How do you distinguish your chaff bugs, which don't need to be removed from the program, from actual bugs, which ought to be removed? If you can't tell them apart, then haven't you given yourself the same problem?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Also

Good documentation?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Also

"Good documentation?"

What's that?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you can generate your 'chaff' bugs algorithmically...

...surely they can be detected/diagnosed algorithmically too?

1. tekHedd

Re: If you can generate your 'chaff' bugs algorithmically...

See also: every obfuscation tool. You can strip out all of the useful data, but you can't strip out the executable program and still have useful software.

Now if this were carried to the level of a complete custom "fake buggy compiler" you might have something, but then that sounds an awful lot like making a hardened compiler that automatically protects you from the kind of bugs you're simulating in the first place, with similar overhead, that puts me right back in the camp of "why are we doing this again?"

2. GIRZiM

Re: If you can generate your 'chaff' bugs algorithmically...

>...surely they can be detected/diagnosed algorithmically too?

You put bugs in your algorithm, so that, every so often, it spits out a real bug and, thus, defeats any algorithm looking out for its signature bug generation pattern.

Simples.

8. Herring`

I see now

So that's what Microsoft have been doing.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

They just forgot to turn it off.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re:So that's what Microsoft have been doing.

Hmmm? .... "Microsoft goes through four stages of stealing someone else’s idea. First they say that what you’re doing is the stupidest thing they ever heard of. Stage two: “Well, there are some interesting pieces in it, but the idea as a whole isn’t very good.” Stage three is: “We have exactly the same thing, but ours is better.” Stage four: “It was our idea in the first place.”

That is as may be, and may have been in the past, but with ideas today nowhere near as stupid as they were/are supposed to be and with them being next to impossible to conceal and administer exclusively to executives, are things today for tomorrow completely different.

1. GIRZiM

Re: Re:So that's what Microsoft have been doing.

>> That is as may be, and may have been in the past, but with ideas today nowhere near as stupid as they were/are supposed to be and with them being next to impossible to conceal and administer exclusively to executives, are things today for tomorrow completely different. <<

It's only fitting, I think, that the most mindbogglingly batshit insane idea I have ever come come across (namely "put exploits in your code to distract people from the other exploits in your code - no, really it'll be fine") has resulted in AMFM penning the sanest thing I have ever seen him write.

3. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Re: I see now

Microsoft actually tried this. And failed miserably when the result was an O/S with no bugs.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: I see now

"an O/S with no bugs." .... that was CP/M which they upgraded to DOS and then MSDOS, it's now called Windows 10.

9. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Because the stack layout of a function is determined at compile time, we can control what data will be overwritten when the overflow occurs, which gives us an opportunity to ensure the overflow will not be exploitable."

That assumes that what the compiler does with the source is predictable. Optimisation might affect that. Even if the result is what was intended it might not be after a new release of the compiler.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

The Abiding Universal SOAB Problem? ..... What/Who Provides Original Source to Follow?

That assumes that what the compiler does with the source is predictable. .... Doctor Syntax

Ah Yes, ..... The/An Unpredictable Source Ably Protected by the Madly Insane and Gloriously Almighty can certainly Create Immense Problems with Disruptive Novel Solutions Freely Shared Online Everywhere there are Cyber Spaces for Discovering AI Virtualised Reality Play Grounds ...... for Future Global Commanders' Remote AI ControlLed Head Quarters. ....... in all Journeyed Ports of Call and Forward Operating Bases.

Doctor Syntax, Hi,

Are we to continue assuming the data compiler controls machine output or are SMARTR AIMachines Pulling Strings and Deciding Frantic Fantastic Courses Behind and Beyond Now Unlocked Doors?

Capiche, El Reg?

What say El Regers?

What machines are providing your tomorrows? Are they any good or are they failed and failing, beleaguered and embattled?

Do they Seed and Feed Bounty and Prosperity, or Need All of Yours to Satisfy Their Onerous and Odious Greeds turned Mortal Sins and Deadly Vices?

They are Good Question you should be asking yourself.

10. ThatOne Silver badge
    WTF?

Non-developer wondering

Won't those "chaff bugs" make the program less stable and prone to exploding randomly?

Of course a program incapable of running is 100% secure, since it can't be exploited, but what about the usability? When I buy a program, I mostly buy it to get work done (but that's maybe just me). *scratches head*

11. Douchus McBagg

my distinguished chaff bugs have little code monocles and top hats. My chav bugs strut around broadcasting "oy oy" in an IP frame at random and turning any code comments into Burberry ascii

12. Brian Miller

Die early, recover quickly

The "false bugs" premise reminds me of the premise of building your software to recover quickly after a crash. I can imagine that it would be quite annoying for a word processor to flicker in and out of existence while writing a document, though.

1. Scroticus Canis
      Devil

Re: Die early, recover quickly

"I can imagine that it would be quite annoying for a word processor to flicker in and out of existence while writing a document, though."

If you are having to imagine it you obviously haven't tried Orifice 365 yet.

13. sitta_europea Silver badge

I've never heard such a stupid idea before.

Oh, wait... well, there was that guy at the FBI...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wait, where did we bury the mines again / was it the red wire or the blue one to disarm the bomb?

'Chaff Bugs' makes for novelty reading but does it actually work in practice? Maybe... But the thing that hits home about software dev after decades of trial & error, is that things have become so multi-faceted / stacked / tiered / complex, that its easy to miss obvious holes elsewhere.

Who will have the last laugh? Hackers / malware writers seem to be winning all the battles right now... Or is it more the result of years of corporation's underfunding IT / underpaying tech workers?!

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: was it the red wire or the blue one to disarm the bomb?

Usually it's a matter of separating the detonator from the rest of the device - at that point the wires don't matter and trying to decode them is frequently overthinking the problem.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Yes, it's probably not surprising to most people here when we see on TV shows the protagonist desperately trying to identify which wire to cut, or some "expert" at the other end of the radio when we can all clearly see a det stick poked into some form of plastic explosive and the obvious solution is to simply pull the det stick out of the plastic before the timer triggers.

Then again, if the hackers are as useless as the hollywood script writers or as stupid as the hollowood writers think the audience is, maybe this is a good plan?

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Perhaps the detonator has a tamper switch. Start to pull out the detonator and boom.

On the other hand, there's an argument that terrorists' home-made bombs are built with an off-switch for safety, as they are liable to be precarious otherwise. But once you place the bomb, you may remove the off-switch. Then, you know, run.

The off-switch appeared in a TV programme I watched recently; I won't say which as it may spoil the surprise i.e. not wiping out the cast of the show. (That is, the characters, but with some special effects, who knows.)

15. Drew Scriver

Interesting concept - but code and bugs should be separated...

As an application delivery engineer I dread the concept of introducing (lookalike) bugs at the code level.

However, it would be interesting to configure an application delivery controller (ADC) to respond to probes with bug-like 'features'.

That would keep the code clean, allow implementation of these 'bugs' without involvement from dev and/or app vendors, and still provide troubleshooting/validation without running into the security bugs.

It would, however, cause madness with security teams running (external) scans. I already have to 'patch' non-existing vulnerabilities because the security team's audit scan fails. Quick example: a scan from a well-known security scanning firm sent OpSec into a mad spin because a request to /xyz.cgi resulted in a 200 OK... At times I wonder if Don Quixote secretly is the patron of OpSec, but I digress.

16. Alan Brown Silver badge

"a scan from a well-known security scanning firm sent OpSec into a mad spin because a request to /xyz.cgi resulted in a 200 OK... "

How would they have reacted to 200 FUCKOFFANDDIE?

17. Updraft102

The law of unintended consequences

In the course of creating fake bugs that falsely make it appear that there is much greater attack surface than there really is, wouldn't it be likely that at some point one or more of the fake bugs will contain real bugs that actually do increase the attack surface in a way the fake bug writer does not anticipate? These real bugs hidden in/behind fake bugs will resist detection by automated means, and quite possibly by human ones, since the tendency will be to look at the big bug and not the small, but more dangerous, one behind it.

1. onefang

Re: The law of unintended consequences

"the fake bugs will contain real bugs"

It's bugs all the way down, and features all the way up.

18. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

More buffer overflows?

Why not hire these hackers to scan normal code for Buffer Overflow flaws, and then fix them?

Too simple?

1. GIRZiM

Re: Too simple?

Get your coat, Jeff - there's no place for sanity in this world any more ; )

19. Rich 10

Whatever you can create, someone else can create a filter for - the assumption is that these fake bugs will probably be very similar, so that ultimately a filter can false flag a false bug, and be trained to ignore them.

20. Baldrickk

Obscuring the real bugs

Because we all know that security by obscurity always works...

21. strum

Wouldn't the script kiddies just circulate a database of known fake bugs?

22. disgruntled yank

One useful takeaway

I can now describe any bugs not related to security as ones that "will only, at worst, crash the program".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon