back to article Facebook's new data centre cooling system takes the heat like Zuck in front of Congress

Market-leading data slurper Facebook is hoping to save energy and water by using indirect evaporative cooling in its data centres. Zuck & Co's bit barns typically employ direct evaporative cooling processes to prevent racks overheating, but it isn't feasible in some climates because atmospheric air varies in temperature and …

1. agatum
    Happy

Market-leading data slurper Facebook

[snicker, giggle]

Be carefull, elreg, fb could start treating you like apple does.

1. MiguelC Silver badge

And Google might get jealous

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bottom of the Sea

Like the MS story today.... Any chance we can sink this Data-Center to the bottom of the deep blue sea too, along with its 'founder' firmly attached?

3. 0laf
    Childcatcher

So basically Facebook servers are sweaty stalkers. Can't say I'm shocked

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Which company did they steal these server room ideas from this time?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Save even more electricity and safguard your privacy be not using Facebook.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Tax

Save even more electricity and safguard your privacy be not using Facebook.

A bit like the UK's Sugar tax, slap a "Zucker" tax on FB data centers to discourage proliferation and waste of resources

6. johnnyblaze

Very impressive, but I doubt even this could cool all the hot air that comes out of Zuck's mouth. That slimy little weasel could take down any industrial cooling solution!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well f*** me!

Seems Facebook have invented some remarkable new technology to produce cooling flows to hot equipment. We could call it something new, exciting like....I dunno...a "heat exchanger"?

As usual, cheap crappy "corporate social responsibility" greenwash. F*** off Zuk.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is the air cooling the water or is the water cooling the air or is the water cooled air cooling the air or is the air cooled by water cooling the water?

1. LeahroyNake

I thought it was the grass drinking the water then somebody smoking it ?

9. JassMan

All very laudable...

Especially if the technology can be adapted to that other great producer of heat pollution, thermal power stations such as Gas, Coal and Nuclear which are enormous consumers of water.

BUT

It would be much better if they researched ways to reduce their power input. Replacing processors with the latest versions would be a start but why don't they switch off 80% of them for 8 hours each night. Obviously some night owls need their FB fix at 02h00 in the morning but most people take time to sleep.

It could be argued that they should switch them all off permanently, thus saving the world a big environmental problem and complying with GDPR at the same time. I for one would not notice the difference because it will take years for the biosystem to recover from the damage they have already done.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All very laudable...

why don't they switch off 80% of them for 8 hours each night. Obviously some night owls need their FB fix at 02h00 in the morning but most people take time to sleep.

Umm..time zones? It's always daytime somewhere in the world...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: All very laudable...

Re timezones, that could mean doing that switcheroo around the world - the idea still works then.

But, as another commentard said, just not using Facebook is the most energy efficient approach.

10. EveryTime

Zuck is one of the richest men in the world, and Facebook risks running out of warehouse room for the stacks of cash.

His testimony before Congress wasn't spontaneous. With billions at stake, he (and Facebook) could afford the very best people to plan and project his image and message. The nerdy persona and mix of fully-informed / unaware answers was carefully considered and rehearsed.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like