back to article DARPA seeks bigger BigDog petrol packmule robots

Pentagon tech brainiacs are moving forward with their plans to furnish US troops with petrol-powered robotic pack mules to carry their heavy equipment and supplies. DARPA, the famed military loopytech agency which stands head and shoulders above the rest principally through the use of Inspector Gadget telescoping cybernetic …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ralph B
    Boffin

Jap Tech

I'd suggest using two Honda Asimos carrying the stuff between them like a sedan chair, or a pack of Sony AIBOs pulling a sledge.

2. Paul

Pork

"There will no doubt be a certain number of old-school purists who'd suggest simply having less stuff. "

Wheres the fun, and pork, in that?

3. TeeCee Gold badge

Thank f*** for that.

With a bit of luck I'll never again have to listen in the pub to the "how we were taught in basic training to wipe our arses using only a bus ticket"* story, replete with nausea-inducing detail, now that the military can carry bog roll with them in the field.

*Presumably the introduction of the Oyster card went down rather badly with the army's logistics corp.

4. Ceilidhman
    Paris Hilton

Hay powered version

How about a self-healing, danger-avoiding, stereoscopically visioned, audio controlled, hay-powered version, i.e. a REAL mule to do the carrying?

Paris coz she's capable of holding heavy saddlebags

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm Walking vehicles...

Can you picture a passenger version of that thing

6. Alex
    Thumb Up

hurrah

robohorse lives!

7. Phil

Bigger Robodog already spotted

It's already here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXJZVZFRFJc

8. Joe K
    Thumb Down

Lazy sods

How about a cart?

Pull the thing you lazy twats, you can take it in turns.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

So can I use my AT-ST

If not, better make the that the AT-AT. If I can't carry all my stuff with that I'm going home.

10. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Overthinking it again...

I agree, here they are overthinking the problem yet again. No wonder we can't find Osama, it is because his army IS using carts and mules.... forget spending billions of dollars on high tech.

Nothing beats giving a mule a swift kick in the behind to get him up and over that hill.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like