back to article Twitter signs for Google cloud at list price of about $10m a month

Twitter’s announced that it’s moving a lot of stuff to Google’s cloud, but it’s not all good news for Google. The avian network has announced that “cold data storage and our flexible compute Hadoop clusters” are off to Google. That announcement mentions “more than 300PB of data across tens of thousands of servers”, so The …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't put all your eggs

under one Cloud.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't put all your eggs

We have all this cloud and no one is buying it. We are hiring lots of increasing desperate sales people and still no one is buying it. AWS and Azure are wiping the floor with us. Please use it. We will basically give it away....

1. Paul Matencio

Re: Don't put all your eggs

Ask Apple, Spotify or Salesforce if they get Google cloud for nothing. However you shouldn't complain if they are less expensive than their main competitors. This being said there are also other players that are more competitive than the big three.

2. AMBxx Silver badge
    Joke

Password storage

Is this so they can store unencrypted passwords in the cloud?

3. ratfox

I suspect Google is deliberately encouraging the multi-cloud strategy. If they manage to get everybody to use two or three clouds, they become relevant again.

It's self-serving, but I think we shouldn't complain. The APIs get more compatible, and the risk of lock-in is smaller.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>>If they manage to get everybody to use two or three clouds, they become relevant again.

Even if it was three my choices in order would be Azure, AWS and Rackspace. Google? A long long way down the list.

1. DrBed
      Trollface

redmondview

> Even if it was three my choices in order would be Azure, AWS and Rackspace. Google? A long long way down the list.

Because Google will provide you with proper big data analytics, Cloud Machine Learning Engine (Cloud AI)... and with Azure you'll get Minecraft for free. Bargain. Don't be scroogled. Use Bing & Edge, don't believe the hype. ;-)

https://azuremarketplace.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/apps/msftstack.minecraft-server

2. Paul Matencio

If you want to pay more for less it is your choice. Based on my personal experience, Google cloud is way faster than Azure and quite faster than AWS and it costs less.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They will probably be signing up because of DataProc, the splitting of storage and compute for Hadoop in GCP means you can spin up Hadoop clusters with hundreds of nodes in about 90 seconds and tear them down after the Hadoop job has completed, so you only pay for the time the clusters are actually active. Will be a lot more efficient than running 20,000 instances all the time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And you can use Preemptible VMs for a lot of Dataproc use cases, so that saves you 80%.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Claptrap314 Silver badge

GCP is still young

I think its more than a little bit early to write the G off on this one just yet. I don't know the scales, but I'm actually surprised that Twitter isn't running their own data centers. 500Pb is hardly a rounding error just yet. This customer is going to justify a lot more investment into GCP.

I don't want a one- or two- player environment. Encourage the little guys--even if they are rich.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like