back to article BT's IPTV aims to lure footie fans

UK customers of BT's IPTV service will be able to avail of cut-price access to English Premier League football matches for the coming season. The BT Vision Sport standard service costs £4 a month and will provide subscribers with access to delayed coverage of 242 games from the Barclays Premier League. A pay-per-view option is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. GettinSadda

Unfair Practice

If I wanted to watch this service (which thankfully I don't) I would be up in arms about how unfair they are.

They have tied the TV package to their broadband package so you can only watch these matches if you take their DSL as well.

I already have DSL and from a much better provider than BT. I require a reliable connection for my work and so I would never switch to BT. Looks like I can never have their TV service then.

2. Dennis

Unfair Practice

Unfortuately that's how it works..

IPTV works in a walled garden - it's multicast technology

VOD is similar but uses point cast.

So the end user equipment is tied to the service provider (so they can set up the vlans/VCCs to get the correct QoS/Cos)

It's not like a "grown up myspace" which is just internet video.

3. Andrew Wood

RE:Unfair Practice

Its hardly unfair do you really expect BT to give you access their content over somebody elses network where they have no control over QoS.

As far as reliability goes I have been with BT Broadband since ADSL first rolled out and can count on one hand the amount of times my ADSL has been down and I am not even a business customer.

TBH though I wouldnt recommend BT Vision to anybody yet. The hardware is still too glitchy and the boc often crashed when scrolling up and down the TV Guide. BT's workaround is to scroll slower !!

Once they have these issues Ironed out it will be a pretty slick service though.

4. A J Stiles

Re: Unfair Practice

This isn't really unfair. Unfair would be if they wouldn't supply you with a second telephone line with BT ADSL, which you would then use just for the TV service.

As things stand, what you get in the BT Vision package is a proprietary under-set receiver and the dedicated line it requires to connect to BT's closed network; you also get, for no extra charge, the ability to piggyback on that line and use it as a rather poor imitation of a proper ADSL connection (not quite as flaky as a typical Windows installation, so there's a good chance that rebooting the PC will fix whatever goes up with it; and just about good enough for looking at blurry pictures of next door's dog on Flickr. Sadly, most people have lives so boring and shallow that this is adequate for them). If you want a real ADSL, with such essentials as a static IP address (or a netblock!) and a contention ratio somewhere this side of 100:1, then you have to pay extra for it.

Unlike a certain other broadcaster, BT are not under any obligation to deliver television services to all users.

5. Graham Lockley

Unfair ?

'f I wanted to watch this service (which thankfully I don't) I would be up in arms about how unfair they are.

They have tied the TV package to their broadband package so you can only watch these matches if you take their DSL as well.'

Yeah, why should I have to deal with the dirty diggers outfit, Sly, or Bransons mob, Vergin' (on the farcical) just to watch something that they have exclusive rights to ?

The above two outfits should be forced to unbundle the broadband/TV/phone packages they offer. Vergin should be made to allow other ISP's access to their network and Sly should be made to give other TV operators access to their satellites.

I wont hold my breath waiting for it to happen tho :)

This topic is closed for new posts.