back to article Surprise! Wireless brain implants are not secure, and can be hijacked to kill you or steal thoughts

Scientists in Belgium have tested the security of a wireless brain implant called a neurostimulator – and found that its unprotected signals can be hacked with off-the-shelf equipment. And because this particularly bit of kit resides amid sensitive gray matter – to treat conditions like Parkinson's – the potential consequences …

1. Gordan
    Happy

Ghost in the Shell

More or less the premise the movie is based on.

(Icon because it seems to be the closest to "The Laughing Man" among the options.)

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Ghost in the Shell

Also used as a form of attack in the rather good novel ORA:CLE.

In that case the poor sod has a loud beep played incessantly inside his head.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

Re: Ghost in the Shell

"In that case the poor sod has a loud beep played incessantly inside his head." With IOTs world around the corner, we'd not need it in our heads to be driven crazy by constant beeps!

(Pic of how I feel when I hear the swearing devices!)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Would a tin foil hat protect you from people stealing your thoughts?

It's 2018 and I can finally ask that question without sounding crazy. How the world has changed.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

"Using the brain as a true random number generator"

Yeah... just show someone some random pictures off the telly...

Next thing you know you'll need a dolphin to get the information out !

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: "Using the brain as a true random number generator"

The last ever dolphin message was misinterpreted as a surprisingly sophisticated attempt to do a double-backwards-somersault through a hoop whilst whistling the 'Star Spangled Banner', but in fact the message was this: So long and thanks for all the fish.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

Re: "Using the brain as a true random number generator"

Are you sure that would work well?

3. Scroticus Canis
      Devil

Re: "Next thing you know you'll need a dolphin to get the information out !"

I believe the mice also have a solution but you may not like it.

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Holmes

"The lesson here,..is that security-through-obscurity is a dangerous design choice."

Icon says it all.

No doubt a lesson to be re-discovered ad nausem.

1. Scroticus Canis
      Holmes

Re: "The lesson here,..is that security-through-obscurity is a dangerous design choice."

Actually it should be the first step in a multi-layered approach. Always laminate the armour.

5. Daedalus
    Mushroom

Sorry in advance

Allow me to be the first to say that this is totally mind-blowing, man.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Security by obscurity?

... the boffins propose a novel security architecture ...

Why? What's wrong with the existing, tried and tested ones?

1. Jim Mitchell

Re: Security by obscurity?

I wouldn't even call it "novel". It using the device's environment to generate entropy for key generation. Just that the environment is wet and electrical.

1. Killfalcon Silver badge

They do say in the article - existing methods would require adding more Stuff to the implant, which needs to be tiny and low-power. The novelty is, as Jim points out, an unusual RNG.

2. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Just that the environment is wet and electrical.

Ah, so it's the old "in a mobile device" variant of novel...

7. Christoph

attacks on brain-computer interfaces have shown "that the P-300 wave can leak sensitive personal information such as passwords, PINs, whether a person is known to the subject, or even reveal emotions and thoughts."

Will it be the UK or the USA that first makes these compulsory? To protect the children!

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Devil

Bah. Why choose ?

It'll be a joint effort.

Leading the way and all that.

2. Hockney
      Big Brother

Less 'host In the Shell', more 'Psycho-Pass' (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2379308/), where we all think socially acceptable thoughts for fear of being corrected in a terminal fashion. All under the benevolent gaze of Siri.

8. SVV

I'll be just fine....

I've got an Implant 365 from Microsoft, running off the Azure Cloud and they say it's completely reliable!

9. Chozo

Just in case anybody has not seen the cyberpunk short film "Sight" where the guy hacks his dates wetware when she discovers he's a game junkie using a dating app.

https://youtu.be/lK_cdkpazjI

10. fidodogbreath
    Pint

Denial Of Senses

potential consequences of successful remote exploitation include voltage changes that could result in sensory denial, disability, and death

Similar to the existing Denial Of Sense attack, that uses alcohol as the vector.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: More research

I need more research, I have not yet hit the specified dose to loose my senses.

2. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: Denial Of Senses

Also susceptible to Distributed Denial of Senses a.k.a. pub crawl

11. katx5h

Shoot, guess I shouldn't have used that Russian brain surgeon after all!

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Joke

Mitchell Gant....

Microsoft Edge developers must think in Russian to shoot down the other Firefox.

12. Charles 9

Question: Given that implantable devices have to work within very tight power restraints (due to size and location) , how do you improve security (which has a necessary power cost) without reducing it's working life, which necessarily needs to be maximized due to the inherent risks of surgery?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Cost.

Often it is not down to possibility, but cost. A low powered, but high capability chip is generally more expensive. Though it does often use more power too... not usually much of a problem as induction etc can be used to power externally.

1. vtcodger Silver badge

Re: Cost.

"Good news! The operation was a success and your tremors should be under control. Just don't get your head wet when you bathe, and don't get any MRIs, and be sure and tell your dentist you have a brain implant. And, Oh yes, here's the battery charger you'll have to wear for at least three hours every day ...

What could possibly go wrong?

2. Charles 9

Re: Cost.

Please don't get me started on magnetic induction. Because of this (in a pacemaker), a friend of mine can't go through magnetometers at airports, requiring either using the X-ray machine or a physical pat-down.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How long..

until Zuck figures a way to embed a Facebook API into this?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Neat solution, this

"They believe there's an alternative: Using the brain as a true random number generator, a critical element for secure key generation."

Really neat solution. You can't beat that at randomness !

1. onefang

Re: Neat solution, this

'"They believe there's an alternative: Using the brain as a true random number generator, a critical element for secure key generation."

Really neat solution. You can't beat that at randomness !'

Until someone finds a side channel attack directed at your brain.

15. (func (param $db) (result void) drop $db)

They had help doing so from the device's programmer

clarification: "device's programmer" is not a human, but a device which communicates with the implant.

16. Christian Berger

The question is actually rather irrelevant...

... we are not yet ready as we currently would still let companies do such implants. Once they become sophisticated enough to do complex things, you can bet that the manufacturers will use them for advertisement and other forms of attention monetarisation... just like they already did with Smartphones.

17. Alister

wireless brain implants are insecure

Thank gods I forgot to put mine in, this morning, eh?

18. Michael Habel

Just the thing to make Big Brother happy

A mandatory Happyness Chip, that keeps Big Brother alert of how happy you are with him. And, if not will automagicaly schedule a few quick appointments at the reeducation center, if needs be... I'm sure Mr's Junker and, Barnier would happily pass a mandate to make this compulsorily for the entire EU... Sans its Migrant Workers, who are set to inherit Europe anyway.

19. Cuddles

Improving security

"the transmissions of the implantable medical device in question are not encrypted or authenticated"

"how they believe its security can be improved"

Step 1: Actually have any kind of security at all.

1. Charles 9

Re: Improving security

"Step 1: Actually have any kind of security at all."

Problem 1: Stingy power budget (this is an implant, after all; longevity is a requirement). How do you secure the device without shortening its lifespan?

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
        Coat

Re: How do you secure the device without shortening its lifespan?

Small external power pack with an unobtrusive induction coupling should do the trick.

Rejection of external interference, physical security and robust connections are just implementation details...

Say a 200lb lithium-ion trailer with some of those industrial shielded multi-pin threaded connectors... completely unobtrusive and no more issues about power budget or flimsy connections.

Seems like a plan with no drawbacks to me...

1. Charles 9

Re: How do you secure the device without shortening its lifespan?

You've never had to deal with a person wearing a pacemaker, have you? Magnetic induction interfaces mean you can't pass many things in life, like microwaves and magnetometers (metal detectors). Plus, externals complicate things especially when the patient is already infirm and may not be in suitable physical shape.

20. Callum Winton

Title is bricken?

Shouldn't the title be 'unsecure' not 'insecure'?

I'm pretty sure the implants aren't worrying about what other implants are saying about them ;)

CW

21. Tigra 07
    Terminator

Getting closer

Human. Please submit to a compulsory brain scan on the following topics. The results will determine if you live, or die as a heretic.

WE WILL KNOW IF YOU LIE OR CONCEAL YOUR THOUGHTS

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: Getting closer

I think we already know when someone is lying. For example, those who say they like Marmite must be! Or they are Lizard people... there is that possibility.

1. Tigra 07
        Flame

Marmite is great you swine.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Someone cannot take a joke. ;)

I still say it would be 50/50 on if we were forced to eat the stuff or give it up given the brain implants!

22. Robert Grant

Brainwaves for encryption? Haruki Murakami waves from 1985: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard-Boiled_Wonderland_and_the_End_of_the_World

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not for Parkinsons's

There is a effective safe treatment for Parkinson's. No electricity needed. I think they are doing "other' things with this equipment.

24. Scroticus Canis
    Unhappy

I'm beginning to regret my neural-net net now

Hub? Hub?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like