back to article Running on-premises Dynamics 365? Think you're immune to cloud outages? Think again

Hidden dependencies in Microsoft's on-premises Dynamics 365 can leave users open to cloudy outages. Office 365 fell over for a few hours on 6 April in Europe and Asia, taking down anyone relying on Microsoft's cloud service. However, behind-the-scenes connections to Azure meant that those running on-premises versions were also …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FFS Microsoft. I'm trying to sell to our management the benefits of O365 and there you are making me look like a p***k at every opportunity.

Thanks for F all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Fixed it for ya

I'm trying to sell to our management the benefits of O365 and there I am making me look like a p***k at every opportunity.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    WTF?

Fu**ing Microsoft. Just can't keep their corporate nose out of customers business.

I'd like to come up with some witty, detached take on this but actually that pretty much describes them.

Like all suppliers.

They are your suppliers, not your friends.

They are your "friend" as far as they a) Help you do your business b) Don't f**k your business up.

As they do less of a) and more of b) they become less of a "friend."

3. hititzombisi

Hah, the piece of software that never works called Skype Business...

The faster they kill this thing and move to Teams the better - although I'm not a big fan of that crapfest either.

4. John Crisp

An exercise in reverse engineering.

Making a sows ear out of a silk purse.

:-)

5. Keith Langmead

Fix by disabling entirely!?!

So locally they have everything they NEED to login and start, but the login process tries to connect to Azure for the Skype bit and won't continue if it fails? And their "fix" is to entirely disable the Skype functionality, and require it to be done manually? Why not simply remove the dependancy?!? If you can connect, great, if not then continue the login process and let the user crack on using their local resources which are working.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fix by disabling entirely!?!

Don't be silly, that would require two departments to work together.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Given that Skype is compromised, why would any business let it be used at all?

Get something else with real end to end encryption.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like