back to article Looking to nab Nvidia's GeForce chips? You need cash and patience

Tech companies are suffering setbacks from the shortage of Nvidia’s GPUs, with the GeForce series being hit the hardest. Following his keynote speech at his biz's GPU Technology Conference in San Jose this week, Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang explained to journalists that it was down to intense Ethereum mining. Vendors working at …

1. Nate Amsden

order direct

I read on a forum that you can buy the cards directly from nvidia's site at msrp. Though got the impression they don't support backorders so you have to get lucky to see them in stock.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-store/

May be the spot.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

‘Luckily’ the shiny-fruit company have released a compatibility list for using eGPUs with their latest macOS yesterday , and only AMD cards are directly supported.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

The upside?, buy an ‘cheap’ 2k 27” iMac, add a 1k eGPU Vega56

and you’ve got an immacPro (might need to spray your keyboard with gray paint)

There are currently •no• reasonably priced gaming nVidias, shame as the 3GB 1060’s aren’t any good at mining. Also GTX are much better than the AMD gpus, if only for their better power efficiency

1. K
        Facepalm

@ac - " if only for their better power efficiency"

I had to do a double take on this...since when do hard-core gamers care about power efficiency?

Then afterwards, all I had in my head was that bloody annoying "Price Tag song"... "Its not about the money, money, moneys, its not about the price tag... its all about the frame rate!"

If you'll excuse me, I now have to go serenade my wife, my new found lyrics.

2. PaulR79

Yeah. I highly doubt you'll see nVidia in any Apple products for quite a while after the problems they had in a few laptops requiring those long running repair extension programs. It's currently a competition of who can be the most stubborn so I'm eager to see if they can beat my record of around 16 years with Scan for failing to honour a next day delivery order that *they* screwed up and still charged me for next day delivery despite delivering it 3 days later.

1. csecguy44

This is the well known Scan free delivery trick. Place an order for next day delivery - mine has never arrived next day so far - complain, and get delivery cost refunded.

1. PaulR79

@csecguy44 I did not know this and when I asked them to refund the delivery cost they flat out refused. The order was placed on a Thursday morning so should've been here by Friday. It wasn't so I rang to discover the mess they had done. It was going to be delivered Monday which was technically next working day but as it was their mistake I thought they would happily refund the delivery. No chance. With that I have flatly refused to buy from them ever again.

3. Andy Tunnah

Not the best timing

I'm really broke atm, things are going terribly. But just before this started I was lucky enough to get myself a 1080Ti (got it on release date, buggers even tacked on an extra 20 quid because "we've had to let a lot of people down holding this for you"), and I tell ya, it's getting more and more tempting to flog it. 4K gaming is beautiful, and my health is the cause of my woes, which means I have just..all the free time. Which I play games with. If I sell this a GTX670 would be my replacement. Nevermind low settings, most games won't even bloody run.

I've had more than a few msgs on Reddit from people offering me £800, £900 cash in hand for it. It's an absolute bloody nightmare. I might be the only person ever to be gutted that his graphics card is still the best out there.

1. JakeMS
      Joke

Re: Not the best timing

Figured I'd put my offer in :-)

I'll give ya a tenner for it, wait has it been used? if it has I'll have to knock my offer down to a fiver as the usage may have damaged it (can't be too careful!).

Kidding of course :-)

1. Andy Tunnah

Re: Not the best timing

Haha aww you're a good soul mate, will get me a large kebab with that!

Make it 6 quid so I can have a can of vimto too

4. Lorribot

"We are not about making money, we are really very concerned we are making record profits and feel really truly sorry for our gamers who we need to support against those very naughty coin miners who we will give a good telling off and send to bed early."

Hmmm, might be me but I think Nvidia may not care all that much about the plight of poor gamers.

Now if AMD sold a Ryzen 5 or 7 with a built in 580, vega 64.....

1. katrinab Silver badge

I think they care about long-term profits. Gamers will be around for a long time, crypto-miners will be gone in a year or so and will then start trying to dump their GPUs on the second-hand market, which won’t be good news for Nvidia.

1. PaulR79

Set a reminder for one year: don't buy any second-hand nVidia graphics cards as they're likely close to being burned out from mining.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

rx 480S

Maybe you would like one of my 16 RX 480s?

Perfect condition, only booted once ;)

2. jchevali

The phrase "termal requirements" in the Nvidia statement makes me think about the risk of one of those mining data centres catching fire, and investigators (or even just rumors) tracing it back to an Nvidia graphic card. Now what would that do to long term profits?

3. Orv Silver badge

Reminds me of the plight of gun sellers in the US. During the Obama administration they sold tons and tons of guns and ammo based on fears that the government was going to make it all illegal. Now that there's a Republican president, no one is buying, leaving them with unsold inventory and excess manufacturing capacity. Remington just filed for bankruptcy.

5. Pete4000uk

Come on

Send more kids down the mines!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like