back to article Linus Torvalds says new Linux lands next week and he’s sticking to that … for now

Linus Torvalds is pretty sure he’ll release version 4.16 of the Linux kernel next week. The development cycle for this version has been quiet. So quiet that Linus’ weekly pronouncements have been brief, dull and unremarkable, just like each weekly code rollup. But in the last week, Torvalds told the kernel mailing list on …

1. Hans 1
    Pint

As for every release

I do feel a bit surprised, as this is non-news ... nothing interesting and you take the time to write something up ... ok, maybe the Pentium Pro story, but still, I doubt many Pentium Pro users are using the latest Linux kernel in their caves, just as Linus points out.

icon: Beer4Linus time!

1. teknopaul

Re: As for every release

Hotplugging network cards in vms sounds handy.

Pretty good firewall to take away the network device :)

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge
        Joke

Re: As for every release @teknopaul

...in vms...

Has the Intel port of OpenVMS got that far already?

Ohhhhh. He meant VMs, didn't he?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's almost impossible to restrain my apathy...

.. at these regular accounts of a demogogue pronouncing on arcane and minor matters which almost nobody cares about. Such articles should be "on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard.”", and certainly not in El Reg.

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      WTF?

Re: It's almost impossible to restrain my apathy...

Yet you cared enough to a) read the article and b) comment. How hard would it have been to read the headline, say, "Nope, don't care," and move on?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not him, yet

>Yet you cared enough to a) read the article and b) comment.

Well, would you prefer comments based on not having read the article?? Or just the headline?

>How hard would it have been to read the headline, say, "Nope, don't care," and move on?

Judging a book by its cover is considered bad form. And a lot of headlines are click bait - what is the "for now" part of the headline meant to indicate? You cannot tell until you have read the article. There are many other operating systems being developed that are interesting where you can write articles that provide actual news. A call for dropping uninteresting stuff is quite legitimate.

2. EveryTime

Hmmm, the evolution and release of the most-used OS, with significant implications for the world's compute infrastructure, is of no interest to you?

Might I point you to the paper edition of People Magazine, available at your local supermarket checkout line.

3. Daggerchild Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Wait.. you disapprove of this news because you do not believe it is significant to the readership..

.. and then you post as Anonymous Coward because you *know* the readership will disagree with you??

3. SEPAM

OS and excitement

If it is excitement that El Reg desires I would suggest reporting the latest release of Redox-OS. Lead programmer appears to have 30 hour days and no need for sleep.

4. Nate Amsden

memories

It was a long time ago.. I remember I used to get excited about reading "kernel traffic" each week (looks like the last issue was 2005, website online still). Then they got overwhelmed or bored or something and stopped. Used to read Linux Weekly News(looks like that is still going), but maybe been a decade since I looked there too. Until the 2.4 series kernels at least I would frequently build custom kernel config and custom patches on occasion too.

I have used Linux daily for about 22 years now, though for the past maybe decade or more for me it has been "good enough", and I suppose as such I haven't found anything to get excited about since.

Linux news that would excite me however is introduction of a stable ABI that crosses minor and at least 1 major version number(realistic version numbers over the span of years). I gave up on that happening probably 15 years ago, but that's one thing that would get me excited.

5. PhilipN Silver badge

"old x86 PPro SMP"

What do you mean "old"?? That was far and away the most solid, unbreakable 24/7 PC system I ever had.

'Course running OS/2 on it helped

The Intel board it all ran on was state of the art/work of art.

Pardon? Speak up. My hearing aid batteries are going flat.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We can't possibly do that!... Who'd clear up the mess?

Regarding your lovely thumbnail for this story. I'm sure at least *one* of those penguins on Linus' mantlepiece is Mr. Flibble.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like