back to article Vermont becomes fifth US state to boot up its own net neutrality rules

Vermont has become the fifth US state to adopt net neutrality regulations, joining Montana, New Jersey, Hawaii, and New York. State governor Phil Scott signed an executive order Thursday noting that "the principles of net neutrality are inherently tied to the provision of reliable, high-quality broadband Internet service for …

1. DCFusor

Competitors?

Here in the Appalachian mountains - well outside the SF bubble - the "competition" is a choice between the only wired ISP with slow and expensive DSL ($80/mo for 4/1 mbit), and satellite internet that costs even more and has nasty latency. From what I hear online, this is the norm, not like where the author is writing from (or Pai is mis-regulating from). We "little people" are getting really fed up with those who think everywhere is like where they are at the moment. One size does not fit all.

Concern for "driving customers to competitors" is a laughable idea. The big boys, who don't even come here, have pointed out to various federal agencies that they don't poach on one another's territories as is, and it's the rare place, like San Francisco - where there is any choice at all.

1. Sven Coenye

Re: Competitors?

This is pretty much aimed at Comcast. They are the only major content owner doubling as an ISP in Vermont.

Residential DSL "competition" is provided by Fairpoint, who bought Verizon's omnishambles and has since managed only to go broke and subsequently sell themselves. They'll happily sell people 16 Mb/s service in places so far removed from the last amp they're lucky to get 768 kb in the dead of night.

How much effect this is going to have is questionable as the bulk of the State offices are in locations served by fiber providers who have no skin in the content game and barely have a presence in the residential market.

2. Kev99 Silver badge

DCFusor - You obviously do not have Frontier, as we're lucky to get 2.75/768 DSL. And they say they absolutely no intention of upgrading their systems even if there are hundreds of millions of federal grant dollars around to do just that.

1. DCFusor

No, Kev, we have what was supposed to be a co-op - it took itself private and went for-profit...it's a whole different ball of worms - like I said, one size....

3. Bryan Hall

Federalism

This is great news! This is how our government system is supposed to work, with problems solved in a decentralized manner at the state level.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: Federalism

> This is how our government system is supposed to work, with problems solved in a decentralized manner at the state level.

H. L. Mencken:

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I get 20Mbps - 75Mbps (ave. ~50) with T-Mobile LTE.

Big Cable can blow me. I’ll never use their service again.

———

Incredibly enough, Sprint is worse than Big Cable.

5. Daedalus

Green Mountain Blues

Vermont is apparently a fairly well-run state. It recovered from 2011's Hurricane Irene without the kinds of meltdown seen in, say, Louisiana. I can personally attest to seeing the washed out mountain roads rebuilt, although some farmers are still waiting for the OK to resume planting on "contaminated" ground.

However its population of about 500,000 spread over various cities and towns isn't going to tempt most ISP's to invest, and the threat from the state legislature is correspondingly low.

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Vermont state motto. "Freedom and Unity."

I had thought it was " Live Free or Die," but that's good enough.

they do seem to have their priorities quite well organized.

1. Daedalus

Re: Vermont state motto. "Freedom and Unity."

LFOD is New Hampshire, next door. And some NHers aren't that keen on it. Like they say, half the people anywhere would be happy being told what to do from dawn to dusk.

7. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

And you hoped that we might have heard the end of the net neutrality debate.

Nah, I have a popcorn maker and just bought a fresh sack of corn.

1. thegroucho
      Joke

Re: And you hoped that we might have heard the end of the net neutrality debate.

Can I come to yours?

What is your preferred beverage that goes with popcorn? I will buy some on the way.

We can sit on the fence and watch.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vermont is an interesting state.

They were the first to outlaw slavery and the last to outlaw debtor prisons, about mid 1950's. My Dad for short time was an undercover investigator for the state AG.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like