back to article Oracle: We've stuffed automation in 'pretty much' all our services

Oracle has announced plans to roll out its self-described autonomous technology to all of its Platform-as-a-Service products. The company launched its self-driving database, available in the latest version, 18c, at the OpenWorld conference last year. At the time, execs promised customers "a freedom from drudgery", as the …

1. Naselus

Knowing most companies

"However, the biz has repeatedly emphasised that increased automation will not mean the end of people's jobs – instead saying it will simply cut out the monotonous yet time consuming day-to-day tasks."

Including such monotonous and time-consuming tasks as coming into the office, communicating with other staff, carrying a staff ID badge, or collecting paycheques at the end of the month.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Using Oracle?!

You are number 6....

1. arthoss

Re: Using Oracle?!

Nice reference

2. Tim99 Silver badge

I read the headline differently

Oracle: We've stuffed the automation in 'pretty much' all our services...

Disclaimer: I started bearing scars from Oracle with V5.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: I read the headline differently

You and me both, Tim. It seems they mean "into", not "in".

3. bbennington

Yeah, real soon now...

The announcements of direction from Oracle aren't really relevant. After years of only doing what will make the most money, they have no ability to execute. They don't possess the knowledge or culture to do the right/best thing, only the most profitable thing. Who is going to pay more for this automation magic, if the answer is nobody, it will fail to materialize after the subsidy(from cloud marketing)drys up.

1. Tim 11

Re: Yeah, real soon now...

They also use the old Microsoft technique of just self-referentially redefining the latest buzzword - e.g. last year "we're now a cloud company, so the definition of cloud is everything we do, so everything we do is cloud" without actually changing anything.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Yeah, real soon now...

"the old Microsoft technique of just self-referentially redefining the latest buzzword - e.g. last year "we're now a cloud company"

Well they did become the market leader in IaaS last year overtaking AWS in that space.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like