back to article Dell sell-off saga gets weird: Subsidiary VMware may buy parent in 'reverse merger'

Dell's future has been thrown for yet another loop. Dell's virtualization subsidiary VMware is reportedly looking to buy out its parent Dell so that the tech titan can avoid a second IPO. Under a proposed scheme, the fake computer slinger would take over a real computer maker. Dell picked up VMware when it finally acquired EMC …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It will never happen... but if it did...

It will never happen...

but if it did...

Chad Sakac would run the pirate ship

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It will never happen... but if it did...

And Vaughn Stewart would be his Peter Pan

2. Rainer

Sounds like an April's Fool joke

My head spins thinking about this.

3. Notas Badoff

"Reverse merger"

Flash! Florida to buy out Spain in a reverse merger. Says future much brighter in Florida, coastlines much better, and the water is really something! Rumors of long-life product lines that will bring global interest to Florida abound. Chairman Miguel Delgato quotes CTO de León as guaranteeing performance will last forever and UPS is unneeded!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Reverse merger"

Shouldn't that be "Catalonia to buy out Spain in a reverse merger"?

4. dshan

Still Waiting For Revolution

Back when Dell (the company) went private Dell (the person) was full of promises about how once they were free of the chains of public ownership they'd innovate like crazy, Dell (the company) had all these breakthrough products in the oven that would soon be released to transform the business and return it to the glory days.

Years later and we're still waiting for these revolutionary products, all they have produced is a series of failed ideas, boring PCs and a huge takeover that saddled Dell (the company) with an even bigger mountain of debt than they had already. Now the prospect of more financial trickery looms in the hope there are still suckers out there prepared to finance this long con for a bit longer and allow Dell (the person) and his partners to ready their personal lifeboats.

1. Androgynous Cow Herd

Re: Still Waiting For Revolution

Wrong revolution. Michael's innovations are strictly financial. He's the guy who figured out how to sell a PC for less than it cost to build and still make a profit. No mean feat, there. So this kind of machination is right up his alley, and he probably could make it work.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Jove Bronze badge

So, Dell is hoping to get rid of some of it's self-inflicted debt, disengage from SilverLake, and burn both existing shareholders by gutting vmware, and potential new shareholders in the coming crash. Hmm.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too much debt...

If they have to jump through these kinds of hoops, all it says is DellEMC took on too much debt. The market will respond in kind and smack both DellEMC and VMware.

VMware exists only because they are hardware agnostic. Joe Tucci understood as much when he immediately spun VMware off at the time EMC acquired VMware.

Personally, I think DellEMC should stand or fall on its own - Dragging VMware down is just plain greed?

8. Cuddles

Finance confuses me

I must be missing something somewhere, but I was under the impression that the entire point of an IPO was to get paid money in exchange for the new shares you've just created. If instead you get pretend-bought by a subsidiary you already own whose shares already exist, no new money is actually added to the system. So what exactly is the point? Dell wants to do an IPO to bring in money to pay off some of their debt, but now they've come up with a convoluted scheme which will result in them not actually making money or paying off any debt instead, but which will still come with the downside of being beholden to shareholders instead of free to do whatever they want. I just don't get it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Finance confuses me

IPOs make investment bankers rich and have lots of rules and regulations requiring heaps of lawyers who also get rich. Selling some of the 80% of VMware EMC own would be straightforward and bring new money into the system.

I think the tax changes around interest deductions have awoken this whole thing.

9. DButch

I still remember a comment from a business finance course I took many years ago that Dell was a bank with a computer manufacturing facility strapped to its side. At that time, Dell made its money on the float between the time it charged the customer and the much later time when they actually paid their suppliers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like