back to article In 2018, how are the big storage 8 handling the industry's challenges?

All the main storage system players face three large challenges in 2018 – new technologies providing faster data access, data management suppliers aiming to wrap a commoditising abstraction layer around them, and public cloud and public cloud-like vertical stack suppliers aiming to make them irrelevant. We look at the eight …

1. mikeymac

Arghhhh!

"HPE might decide its top-end array strategy is flawed with both the XP (OEM'd from Hitachi) and 3PAR systems ill-suited for the future, and decide to look to buy better tech. Who else but Infinidat is there?

The next 12 months could be very interesting for InfiniDat."

This is my nightmare scenario right here. May it never happen!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Arghhhh!

oddly, this makes the best sense for HPE.

3PAR has aged poorly with new tech adoption and it probably doesn't make a lot of sense to continue to OEM sell Hitachi's kit

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Aged poorly, really ? Please expand what is this new tech that 3PAR is not or will not be supporting ?

2. briancarmody

brian from IDAT here. Rest assured: we ain't selling. Name one aquisition that worked out well for employees and customers? Right, there are none. If you care about the community you stay private for as long as humanly possible, then you have a massive IPO on your terms. Infinidat is profitable for over a year now, has 15 consecutive quarters of revenue growth, and we closed the highest revenue quarter in company history last week. Acquisition is illogical. We're too busy building things, making money, and having fun to think for a second about an exit strategy.

Chris Mellor, shameless storage yenta: You can't buy something that's not for sale!

Brian

1. mikeymac

I'm holding you guys to that! Mr. Potts came to town last night and did us a big favor free of charge! Thank you for the incredible customer support!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Name one aquisition that worked out well for employees and customers?"

-SolidFire acquired by NetApp went well

-BlueArc acquired by Hitachi went well

-Cleaversafe acquired by IBM went well

-3PAR acquired by HP went well

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> -BlueArc acquired by Hitachi went well

The BlueArc employees who were acquired, and subsequently left HDS, might have a word about that.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Equallogic and Compelllent acquisitions were fantastic for customers and for Dell

3PAR acq was fantastic for 3PAR customers and HP.

Data General's acquisition by EMC resulted in a massive shift of business to EMC.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: HCI - the great distraction of our time.

Profitable under GAAP? Excluding employee compensation from the metric of profitability is kinda bullshit that I'm seeing to many tech companies do.

Everything's for sale for a price.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: HCI - the great distraction of our time.

Everything is for sale, except Infinidat apparently. They are busy riding the johnsons. After that, they'll cozy up to IBM to see if they can be acquired.

#nohomerunthistime

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So you have no exit strategy. Riiiiight.

1. Rob Isrob

They'll IPO. They are actually making money and will go public at some point. But compare/contrast to Pure. They are still losing money and yet viewed favorably from a Wall Street perspective. Go figure. I guess the idea is they eventually make money. Their current raw material cost, R&D, marketing doesn't leave any headroom or they would be making a boatload. Likewise, look at Tintri. They apparently are losing money on sales. I guess their strategy is to make it up in volume.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

If history repeats itself Infinidat sells itself. The Johnsons are not dumb and Moshe's getting up there in age. This is definitely his last venture.

I'm convinced Infinidat is 100% an acquisition play.

2. DCFusor
    Happy

Maybe funny

At least to me...my off-grid infrastructure has always been hyper-converged with itself..snicker.

But what makes me chuckle is the indistinguishability between the acronym for this made up hype term and that for...hydrochloric acid.

Bet it sells really well to anyone with a smattering of chemistry?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Image text: Man yells at cloud

I ask can you tell where your cloud actually is?

Once your data is behind the front door of the cloud front could the part of the cloud you use be located where the land is cheaper and the politics different?

How can we tell where the servers in the farm are actually located?

These issues don't seem to be covered in the media.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like