back to article DXC execs: Here's another deadline for skills profiling

DXC Technologies' employees still reluctant to upload their "skill profile" onto a company database they fear will be used in the next big redundancy rounds yesterday got a ticking off from top brass. The great unwashed at DXC were given a fortnight until 17 November to complete the online forms to create a “holistic and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What would happen if all the staff put exactly the same details in this tool - so every person was identical?

1. Empire of the Pussycat

it'll revert to the standard hr selection criteria...

for reduction of N people who are not a senior manager and not in hr and not in legal, the top N by salary get the chop

2. Empire of the Pussycat

what if you say you have all of the l33t skillOrZ?

any robosifting for the underendowed would presumably leave you well out of the crosshairs

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Incredible, another round of DXC redundancies and I've had another round of recruiters calling me about contract vacancies in both Erskine and Newcastle.

So much for HP Inc being the poisoned chalice and HPE the beacon of hope!

4. IHateWearingATie
    Pint

What about ticking everything, or at least everything that you could bullshit your way through? Probably best leave out the ones that need proper skills for them get go (gas engineer for example), but my experience is that you can get away with most things for at least 6 months...

1. hplasm
      Angel

"What about ticking everything, or at least everything that you could bullshit your way through?"

Isn't that standard procedure for such things?

2. smudge
      Flame

Eff off. On quite a few occasions I've had to repair the damage after people like you have been in.

3. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Better still, change your name to Bobby Tables.

5. Dwarf

x=dx/dt

Just differentiate yourself, its mostly in the company name after all

I'm sure that it won't matter what people put into the database, the outcome looks like it will be the same.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do you really think DXC management are clever enough to use the skills database to decide on selection for redundancy? Really...?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

DXC Management Skills and Redundo's

They'll probably get a so called expert from say PWC in to do the dirty work for them. To hell with the £1000/day plus expenses at least their hands are clean.

7. TheBorg

Two of my ex colleagues are currently being targeted for VR - they were sorted from a fuzzy skills matrix created by an ex manager and enhanced by a management team in India who have no engagement with the particular two individuals .... it's guesswork and bullshit !

1. Miss Lincolnshire

Despite my having spent the previous 12 years travelling the length and breadth of the UK pretty much full time I was marked 3 out of 5 for flexibility to manipulate me into the score they wanted.

I was marked by an L4 that had met me twice. It's all a charade. The only thing that's real is the bunce

8. Sir Runcible Spoon

What kind of skills are they tracking?

For example, I'm not really technically current any more, but I can still troubleshoot problems from general principles. I mainly use my skills to help other people do their jobs these days, like a team-builder, or facilitator (sometimes an obstacle de-contructor).

Are those kind of skills tracked? The last team I worked in has suffered a bit of a drop in performance after I left because they don't work as a team any more (especially since new starters didn't get the memo I tended to ram down their brain-stems when they joined the team).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What kind of skills are they tracking?

From a broader perspective, there are hundreds of technical skills and entire domains that the useless thing doesn't have.... so the chances of anything as soft as that?

9. Alan Sharkey

And this is?

" we have begun to implement a formal Redeployment Program in Q4."

In what way is this dfferent from what's gone before?

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

Re: And this is?

Before it was informal so the mgmt got drunk and threw darts at the wall. Now that it's formal, they don't get to drink as much.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And this is?

The previous programs have been at best ramshackle. Maybe now after so many attempts they think that they are getting their eye in? On the other hand, HR (being 'overhead') has probably been harder hit than most by previous rounds, so maybe 'formal' is just wishful thinking.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BAU@DXC

The skilled engineers working hard trying to keep the business afloat and the management are moving deckchairs around.

To anyone left at DXC in the UK, get out now. The grass is most definitely greener once you’ve left that awful company.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: get out

I would, but I really like my client and current project...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You want us to enter our skills in another tool?

And while you are doing that provide a new resume based on this template (not the DXC brand template).

The template style is such that the information is out of date within a month (time periods specified in years and months) ... so those entered

Is noncooperation a form of protest?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You want us to enter our skills in another tool?

Yes, noncooperation is a form of protest, but it also arises from the carefully crafted culture of apathy, deleting anything that looks like it is from the top guys without reading it, just doing your job, and never going the extra mile that DXC have managed to build. If updating your skills profile isnt specifically in your job description, why do it? There are no pay rises anymore, so you are hardly likely to lose out and no-one is above being put into the next redundancy round regardless of how hard they work.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still no idea what's going on!

I work for DXC, but don't know anything about this. Not sure if that's a good thing or if I have already been selected for redundancy!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Still no idea what's going on!

To be honest I think redundancy is the best option.

Terrible company run by amateurs.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Still no idea what's going on!

i wouldn't be too concerned - not everyone in DXC received the email reminder.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At our town hall in hook yesterday Simon Fovargue stated that this will be the last round of CR, but there will be no pay rises or bonus's adding that DXC only wants to employ young people.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So more of the same then.

Didn’t have a single pay rise in the 7 years I worked for HP/HPE/DXC.

What an utterly ridiculous company, the sooner it disappears the better.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I know I shouldn’t be surprised, but is any of this actually legal in the UK? Redundancy is as a result of a role being no longer required, not because your CV is crap. As for stating that you’re only going to employ young people, that simply isn’t legal, and if that’s a company policy, I hope someone takes them to the cleaners for it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

DXC will meet their legal obligations. They are other valid reasons for redundancy other than the role no longer being required - moving the work elsewhere for example, which is what is happening, with every possible role being "best shored".

As for the young people remark, if it was DXC's published policy then it would indeed be discriminatory, but I suspect it would be characterised as an informal remark by a middle manager. Doesn't make ut any less true though.

3. Miss Lincolnshire

He can't possibly say that that will be the last round of compulsory redundancies

14. Miss Lincolnshire
    Big Brother

Roll up, roll up and sign your own death warrants

Having gone prior to the despotic reign of CSC's Mike Lawrie being extended to former HPE ES colleagues I no longer have any interest in this car crash company aside from regular checks that they haven't yet stolen my pension pot.

The harsh truth is that no-one from HPE ES has had a formal performance review in almost two years. That makes any basis for the quarterly WFR (Redundancy) scoring decidedly dodgy. So all they really have to backup that particular mechanism for justifying what McKinsey already decided is the skills database that they are so keen on ensuring everyone completes.

Complete the database and complete your own justification for redundancy.

1. Cartimand

Re: Roll up, roll up and sign your own death warrants

"I no longer have any interest in this car crash company aside from regular checks that they haven't yet stolen my pension pot."

A very real danger. Hence me transferring my DC pension fund to my new company's scheme, where it should be safer and earning a better return too.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Take the VR if your in the Healthcare 'Vertical'.

I was apprehensive 9 months ago after working for CSC for the best part of 10 years!

I accepted my VR package, my role got 'best' shored and they are making a fantastic cock up from all accounts.

I haven't looked back, use the training allowance wisely and it can pay dividends.

Just do it!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like