back to article Sacked senior Intel sales head accuses IoT chief of perjury

A sacked former Intel senior sales head has accused the company’s global IoT partner director of perjury – and was told to “not put the spin on” by the judge. Mary Guiney, a former Intel saleswoman assigned to its EMEA Internet of Things business, is suing Chipzilla for £100,000 in what she says is unpaid commission. She has …

1. tiggity Silver badge

representing yourself in court

.. is very rarely a good idea

1. Warm Braw

Re: representing yourself in court

She would be unlikely to get legal aid and I imagine the lawyers fees would mount up pretty quickly if you were up against a large corporation like Intel.

Having said that, you shouldn't represent yourself in court without some form of preparation - in particular on the kind of behaviour that might trigger the awarding of costs against you: this isn't likely to happen in an industrial tribunal, but rubbing the judge up the wrong way may lessen the odds...

2. Aaiieeee
      Holmes

Re: representing yourself in court

When is it a good idea?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In my experience (UK), judges are generally very helpful and tolerant when people represent themselves - provided they act in a reasonable manner and accept they don't know what they're doing!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rubbingthe judge the wrong way

I got fired from a job and sued for wrongful termination. I was told that I would hard to prove legally. I won because they pissed the judge off.. Pss never talk to a judge like their are child.

1. Spanker

Re: Rubbingthe judge the wrong way

Ah, so the truth depends on how nice you are.

Yes I had that too. Lost my case as on day 1 the judge took a huff to me claiming company disability benefits , saying ‘well, I could win the lottery too’.

And there was I on support group ESA, muscular dystrophy and in a wheelchair but hey, I won the lottery.

Downhill from there. My barrister was useless, timid and sloppy with no game plan. Bullied and interrupted dozens of times.

Anyway so we go to appeal and my lawyer forgets to file my case on time. Tier 1 firm with head of employment law - just forgot to file a £1.3m claim. Then set of breaking every conflict of interest rule in the book even to the point of arguing AGAINST me, their client, in the appeal court.

If you’re looking for a recommendation for an employment lawyer don’t ask me. I’d name them but not sure if I can here.

Forgive me if I think they’re all a bunch of fuckwits.

4. Hollerithevo

Oh dear

I know people who have brutally and wrongfully dismissed. The ones who went to a tribunal or to court usually ended up damaged by the experience: they lived through the worngs done to them over and over again, lost track of the outside world, and because as weird and bitter as those going through an unpleasant divorce case.

She might be 100% in the right, and I don't disagree that there are male managers out there who hate uppity, ballsy women, but this appraoch isn't going to win her anything. And if she is a confident woman who can represent herself in court, it would be nice is she we a smart woman who would realise that you have to face lawyers with lawyers because, um, they know the law.

The women (and men) I know who accepted that they had been bloody robbed and dismissed unfairly, said 'screw you' and had ten too many cocktails, and then walked away and started their careers again, are now much happier. Yes, justice was not done, but one has to weight the possible victory against the cost of that victory. Is 'bering right' and 'making hem pay' worth one's mental health?

5. Bob Dole (tm)
    WTF?

Customer complaints?

If Intel had received multiple customer complaints about her then that should absolutely be enough to show her the door.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like