back to article Optus to refund NBN customers for slow connections

Optus has become the second Australian carrier to announce refunds for customers unable to get decent National Broadband Network connections. Under pressure from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), Telstra in November 'fessed up that performance on the NBN didn't match its advertising and said it would …

1. AdamFowler_IT

How is Optus identifying these customers? I get good speeds, but never see the actual 100/40 advertised.

1. Phil Kingston

Given the numbers they're talking about, it may well just be those customers who've logged complaints that have been correctly categorised.

2. BlackKnight(markb)

They can see your Sync speed once your connected to there kit. not before. but once you have connected, they know damn well if there ripping you off or not.

not worry nothing to see here the copper is fine, turnbull said so.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Their, they're

i'm so sorry the education system has failed you.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Haven't used Optus for anything since blacklisting them from all personal and business use since 2001 when their installer put his foot through our ceiling - then it took them 6 MONTHS to repair it, along with 23 phone calls. "Someone will call you back" is Optus-talk for "GET F***ED".

So fortunately I've been spared this latest Optus screw over :)

3. silent_count

Technology vs Advertising BS

This is not a technology problem or a NBN problem. This is a marketing bullshit problem.

Change the law so that if a telco advertises a given download/upload rate then they get fined $1 million for every single customer who does not get at least that rate 24/7. Bet'cha the day after that law passes we'll stop seeing advertisements for download speeds which are only ever seen by 0.00001% of the customers.

1. Jasonk

Re: Technology vs Advertising BS

Yes it is a tech problem.

Nbn gives the ISP a possible speed range they think the copper can do. Customer chose the faster said they where told they could get. Copper in such a bad shape it doesn't get the speed Custer was toe they could get. Neither optus or nbn bother to tell the customer they not getting that speed

4. mathew42
    FAIL

Peak speed is a distraction

According to ACCC, 84% are connecting at 25Mbps or slower, and of those only 3% on 25Mbps couldn't achieve 25Mbps. That means for >80% this is a non-issue. Meanwhile unlimited data plans with insufficient CVC backing are causing most people to be impacted by slow downs.

I'm still hoping that NBN will abolish speed tiers on the FTTN. This should see the average speed rise to 68Mbps significantly faster than FTTP with speed tiers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like