back to article Hacked Brit shipping giant Clarksons: A person may release some of our data today

British shipping company Clarkson has 'fessed up to a data breach, saying a miscreant has accessed its systems and the public should expect some of it to be made public. Clarkson PLC declined to answer The Register's inquiry about how much data had been compromised or whether it belonged to customers and merely referred us to …

1. msknight

Translation

"the data at issue is confidential and lawyers are on standby wherever needed to take all necessary steps to preserve the confidentiality in the information." ... which I read as, we will go after any outlet that tries to actually inform anyone of anything. Let's face it, they ain't going to catch the actual criminals here.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Translation

With "lawyers on standby" you know the day is saved!

1. Mark 85

Thank <$deity> that they the lawyers on standby. I think everyone will rest easier now. Only one question: Will the lawyers fix the breach:? Which presumes lawyers are more important than IT types?

2. Adam 52 Silver badge

It might be possible. If you can get a take-down at every halfway ethical host fast enough then it might be possible to limit the spread. And you've got to give them their due for coming clean in advance and standing up to a blackmailer, if they were trying a cover up they wouldn't have done that.

Not something I'd want to try though.

1. sitta_europea Silver badge

[quote]...you've got to give them their due for coming clean in advance...[/quote]

Er, in advance?

The press release says "recent incident".

Sounds like this all happened long ago, but nobody (especially The Standby Lawyers) wants to say how long.

Isn't it time things like this were part of the obligatory reporting for listed companies?

2. Semtex451
    Coat

Hacked Brit shipping giant Clarksons

Theres a smaller version of Jeremy to get as stocking fillers for your loved ones.

1. Not also known as SC

Re: Hacked Brit shipping giant Clarksons

That's how I read this headline too, Some British person who ships giant (Jeremy) Clarksons had been hacked. You can imagine my disappointment on reading the article.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Perfect for covering the dart board.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Perfect for covering the dart board.

No, that's the mini version.

Giant versions should be able to sit on the Nelson Memorial.

3. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Theres a smaller version of Jeremy to get as stocking fillers for your loved ones.

It's quite simply the best Christmas present...in the *world*

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If I'm really naughty, can I have a lump of coal instead?

4. Fink-Nottle
      Unhappy

I came here for the article on an computer woes of an importer of oversized, dad style, denim jeans.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And here I was expecting the Clarkson to be a UK equivalent of a Johnson.

1. MJI Silver badge

Clarkson - noisy opiniated motoring journalist played by Jeremy Clarkson purveyour of Paddingtons

Johnson - a noisy buffon who needs sacking by the other May

2. FIA Silver badge

And here I was expecting the Clarkson to be a UK equivalent of a Johnson.

The UK equivalent of that *is* a Johnson. Currently foreign secretary I believe.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

UK equivalent of a Johnson

I think you may be thinking of Piers Morgan.

3. Mog_X

In James May's voice....

CLARKSON!!!!

4. MJI Silver badge

I read their company statement as

"the world's leading provider of integrated shipping services, bringing our connections and experience to an international client base. In the world."

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

The announcement notes the firm is "working with the police in relation to this incident".

No mention of having reported it to the ICO - or have they emailed them a copy of their PDF?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Dunno. But somebody should report Andi Clarkson's hair to the police as a style crime. Bloke needs a good wash, a few trips to the gym, and damn good haircut.

Admittedly, sprucing up a scruffdog won't help the IT security failure, but lets clear up one crime at a time?

1. Sgt_Oddball

I'd rather not...

I tend to trust those with scruffy hair more than those with since it means they've more important things to do than look slick.

That's what the lawyers are for.

(The affore mentioned Johnson not withstanding)

6. sitta_europea Silver badge

Did anything actually happen then?

7. Snorlax Silver badge

Injunction granted...

...against "person or persons unknown":

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2018/417.html

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like