back to article Dell EMC: Our mid-range arrays aren't dead. Now, join our loyalty scheme!

Dell EMC has retrofitted flash to its SC array, added deduplication to its Unity array and devised a loyalty programme to keep its mid-range array customers onboard. Dell EMC positions SC for block-access applications needing little or no file access and with all-inclusive software licensing, and Unity for unified file and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nope.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Fool me three times, go fuck yourself.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nope.

And there's the Dell EMC employee ...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Love Compellent

Super fast.

great price point

Co-pilot support wonderful.

Just easy.

happy customers

(caveat - I work for a company that positions and sells multiple storage vendors and products)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Love Compellent

Maybe you should help Dell sell Compellent then?

Their engineers couldn't setup a hybrid system to outperform an all disk legacy system let alone compete with the other hybrid solutions. When the competition (i.e. multiple vendors) are four times faster and cheaper across multiple workloads for the same overall capacity, maybe the kindest thing Dell could give it is a bullet...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unity

Love Unity, we were getting sick of VNX and Unity AFA has restored our faith in EMC over the last 9 months. Service not quite up to Dell standards yet but getting better.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Unity

agreed.

Unity is the 'son' of VNXe and is better for it.

having managed a variety of VNX53/55/5600's over the last 5 years,

the underlying flaws of VNX file (the block side has been clariion, of course and familiar ground) have been very apparent over the last 1½ years.

I have been looking at All Flash & hybrid Unity - the inline de-duplication is here as promised and that was the final piece of the puzzle. good price over five years too.

should go nicely with a replacement VMAX and the ECS systems going in.

as an observation, EMC customer service has become better since the merger with Dell - much more customer focused.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For the life of me, I can't figure out why people buy Compellent when there are so many better options on the market for block protocol Flash storage. Unity *just* got dedupe? Hilarious. Welcome to 2012 Unity. Good thing it's cheap. Sad to see EMC fall so far behind technologically. I will admit however that their massive sales force + incumbency advantages + the ability to bundle in cheap (and sometimes free) Dell servers and laptops are a tough combination to beat.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Compared to what? Cutting edge Pure with it's 20+year old active/passive controller architecture? Who is Dell EMC behind in technology in the storage sector? I'm dying to see a serious and factually backed answer that doesn't involve marketing speak. The only storage product I've even remote strayed from the EMC portfolio in the last 6 years is with NetApp, and while I can't really speak poorly of it, I don't know that it blew me away either. I have Pure in my office at least every 6 months trying to sell me shit, and if I hear one more ridiculous 10:1 claim without even understanding my data set, I'm going to have them blocked from the building. Even if I believed their claims...no way am I investing in a company that just keeps losing more and more money and is a serious going concern. 10 year warranties are less impressive if you're not around to support them for the last 8 years...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Atta boy! Keep managing disk, raid groups, raid levels and make sure you keep the controllers balanced like the best practices docs say and remember do not exceed 70% or latency will go to shit and if a controller fails, you're now deeper in shit.

Oh and renew all your monitoring software because it's not fun having to troubleshoot a problem without being able to consult various data sources just to find out what happened.

You my friend will always be employed because nobody got fired for buying EMC. After all, somebody needs to manage that pile of shit.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

what should we be looking at, pray tell?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

unfounded fears

Disclaimer: My company uses Dell EMC, Netapp, and Pure Storage arrays but I don't have any skin in this game (I do networking not storage). I've heard from the storage guys that each array work best for specific use cases.

I'm tired of hearing the "company is losing money" argument against the up and coming companies. Dude, that's the reality of this world, if you want to make a buck, you gotta invest one. I was one of the earlier Arista customers and it turned out amazingly for us. Or look at freaking Amazon, would anyone using AWS say "no way am I investing in a company that just keeps losing more and more money and is a serious going concern". By spending 2 minutes looking at Pure's stock on CNN money, here's what I learned: they are 9 years old, have 2k employees, their revenue was over 600M in the last year, they are keeping up the growth, reducing operating costs, and have 500M in cash in the bank. Again, I don't know if their technology is better for your use case but if you are close minded enough to not find out because of your unfounded fears then you are the one no one should be investing in.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like