back to article Bastard Gator child dies sudden death

It seems that one of the world's most notorious adware outfits has died. Again. An anonymous tipster tells Valleywag that life has ended for Jellycloud, an online behavioral advertising startup that arose from the remnants of the infamous Gator Corporation. Famously, Gator changed its name to Claria in October 2003 in an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jason Baziliauskas
    Joke

"I really have to wonder what's happening with all that data."

Being written to an unnecrypted DVD, posted to the other office, lost by the transit agent and will turn up on eBay next week for fifty quid.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Beautiful Gardens

It's lovely to see weeds like gator die, they keep springing up but eventually we manage to get rid of them.

121Media, aka Phorm should be next, a little weed called Webwise has sprouted up within the BT network and needs an extra dousing of insectiside.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

a hot poker

Up the ass to Phorm, NebuAd, Claria, and Gator and anyone else who comes up shite like theirs.

4. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Alert

Spyware Companies

Hanging's too good for the B@st@rds!!

5. Solomon Grundy

Common Sense

Yeah, the "tracking" companies are shite, but lets face it; I don't think there's a person who will read this who wouldn't grab some mega-bucks if they thought they could do it...

The person that whines today is the person I hire tomorrow at below standard rates - whiners don't generally do much other than whine you know.

6. Steve Button Silver badge
    Go

What about an opt-in target ad ISP?

Here's an idea. How about a new "Freeserve of the Naughties" in that you could get a free ADSL ISP in return for them monitoring all your web surfing habits and serving up targeted ads based on those habits?

I'm thinking along the lines of someone who often goes to sports web sites getting adverts for Sky Sports, or someone going to review sites for mobile phones getting adverts for mobile phone contracts. Likewise for Wine, Property, Cars, Clothes, Gadgets, Holidays, Books, Music, Headphones, Games, etc. etc. You know, everyday stuff.

Hmmmm, I've just writting a business plan, no? Any VCs reading this send a barn load of money my way please.

Of course it would have to be done properly. They would have to ignore sensitive items.... but wouldn't Mr. and Mrs. Average go for this in a big way. They just don't really care about privacy.

Oh, hang on. This is The Register. What am I thinking?

Steve

7. Brian

@ Solomon

"The person that whines today is the person I hire tomorrow at below standard rates - whiners don't generally do much other than whine you know."

You hire those whiners, who do nothing but whine? This makes you the chief of whiners, no?

8. Dominic Kua
    Happy

@AC Re: Beautiful gardens

Unless you want it to survive, perhaps herbicide would be more useful on a weed?

9. Steve
    Flame

@ @AC Re: Beautiful gardens

Herbicide, pah! Real men use fire.

It's natural, organic and versatile enough to be used on plants and CEOs of dodgy companies.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Reads headline, skims article

That'll teach the evil kid to kill all those lizards, and throw the others to the crocodiles. The Australian authorities should sue the parents into oblivion, or better still force them to put the bastard child in the ant enclosure, covered in honey. I blame video games.

11. N

Good riddance

Napalm would do nicely on all of these bastards

12. Sillyfellow
    Alert

solomon not entirley correct

solomon said: 'lets face it; I don't think there's a person who will read this who wouldn't grab some mega-bucks if they thought they could do it...'

well i can tell you that you're wrong about that..

some people have enough morals to know and choose what is right, and some even understand that greed is a bad thing.

you may think that i'm only saying that as a justification for not having megabucks, or just plain misconstrued self-rightiousness, but you would not be correct about that either.

though most are indeed selfish greedy fools, we are not all like that. some are more human and less animal than others.

13. Barry Carr
    Flame

@Solomon Grundy

"Yeah, the "tracking" companies are shite, but lets face it; I don't think there's a person who will read this who wouldn't grab some mega-bucks if they thought they could do it..."

Speak for yourself, bonehead. There is no way I'd even consider doing this for any amount of cash. Integrity is more valuable than wealth, in my view. But at least we now know that you'd happily whore yourself for a quick buck, nice one.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

11.5$ M from VCs

Quote: "nabbing $11.5m from VCs with very short memories"

Correction - that should be "VCs with long memories". Memory != moral fiber. In fact not having it is probably a job requirement for VC-ing in the valley.

Me coat.

15. elf25s

RE:What about an opt-in target ad ISP?

it has been tried back in late 90s and early 2001 as i recall...

the premise was free pc in exchange for letting them bombard you with ads for a year or more.

i forgot which companies done it but their adverts had been floating around for a while at a time.

majority of it was ads scams to get your e mail to deliver spam directly or to steal your ident.

i know of one instance one of my collage buddies signing up and getting a "free pc" and to this day he curses the day he got it.

the kit came bundled with win 98 hardware was so dodgy and outdated that when turned on it would produse a viriety of new and unfamiliar smells as well as noises that would sound like a mack truck with acough.

as for os as soon as you tuned the machine you were praying that it would stay on for more than a 3 min before pop ups from hell would come calling and bringing forth the blue screen of death( the first versions of ms explorer was turning itself on even after you adjusted the settings to shut it off).

he ended up using the damn thing as trap to trip up his roommies at night so they would not steal his bags of snacks at night. couple of nasty bruses later he manged to keep his snacks....

16. Zmodem

theyre full of it

spyware is the same as having a trojan or shadow proxy. sue them all

This topic is closed for new posts.