What's with the blasted captchas?

This topic was created by Ledswinger .

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's with the blasted captchas?

Why, when I'm ALREADY logged in to the Reg, have I suddenly started getting bloody irritating, crappy captchas? And how long has this been going on, given that it only started this morning?

If you want the Commentariat to go elsewhere, you could tell us so, or simply pull the plug on the Forums. But what's the point of having a user ID and a login if I then have to mince around with useless, stupid captchas? It isn't as though you wouldn't know that us lot would be really, really pissed off by such a stupid, intrusive, and often ineffective form of validation?

2. Marco Fontani

Why, when I'm ALREADY logged in to the Reg, have I suddenly started getting bloody irritating, crappy captchas?

We've had CAPTCHAs for various things since at least 2013, and they're usually only shown when "something triggers".

This "something" ranges from what you were doing at that time, your browser signature, your country, your ISP, your IP address, etc.

If it "started this morning" for you, the reason may range from having changed some of your browser settings or having switched to a different VPN than usual, to simply having posted some "trigger words" which make the web application firewall show the CAPTCHA, to err on the safe side before allowing the request through.

If you'd like to discuss this in detail, could you follow our problem reporting page and send us an email at webmaster@?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon