back to article VR-bonkers Microsoft yanks plug out of Kinect

Microsoft has ended production of Kinect, its motion-tracking games controller. The Redmond giant confirmed today the gadget, originally pitched as an add-on for the Xbox 360 console and later bundled with the Xbox One, will no longer be manufactured, bringing an end to the sometimes wobbly player-sensing platform. The Windows …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's very useful for things like saying "Xbox watch Sky One". Presumably there will be an updated camera / mic solution for the AR / VR headset that is rumoured to be coming next year...

2. Snorlax Silver badge

Fun Fact

The company which developed the Kinect sensor, Primesense, was bought by Apple a few years ago.

I suppose you could say Kinect will live on in the iPhone X's "notch" to facilitate Face ID.

1. TheVogon

Re: Fun Fact

"The company which developed the Kinect sensor, Primesense, was bought by Apple a few years ago."

Kinect V2 (Xbox One) was Microsoft technology only. Primesense was Kinect V1 (Xbox 360)...

1. Snorlax Silver badge
        FAIL

@TheVogon:"Kinect V2 (Xbox One) was Microsoft technology only. Primesense was Kinect V1 (Xbox 360)..."

Yeah, so what part of my statement was incorrect?

In a rush to look clever, some people fail to read what's actually in front of them...

1. TheVogon

"Yeah, so what part of my statement was incorrect?"

Saying that Primesense developed THE Kinect sensor. There was more than one version and the later one had nothing to do with Primesense...

1. Snorlax Silver badge

What a tedious little pedant. You must be fun at parties.

Your position is that, contrary to what I wrote, Primesense didn’t develop the Kinect sensor?

You’ve still not proven that what I said is wrong.

1. TheVogon

"You must be fun at parties."

Someone as rude as you wont even get an invite. Resorting to insults generally means you know you already lost the argument.

"You’ve still not proven that what I said is wrong."

It was clearly misleading posting a fact pertaining only to Kinect V1 on an article that was about Kinect V2 and required a clarification. If you cant accept that then the problem lies only with you.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

This thread keeps getting less "Fun".

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can we have reminders of Microsoft hype for kinect

I love recalling all the hype from Microsoft, the failed promises of pretty much every product they ever made.

My starter:

http://spong.com/feature/10111042/Feature-Xbox-Reveal-Kinect-Promises-Exposed

1. nkuk

Re: Can we have reminders of Microsoft hype for kinect

Its just like the "power of the cloud" nonsense that the Xbox talking heads at Microsoft were hyping up during the launch, of course it amounted to nothing.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yawn. That list also refers to Kinect V1. And most of the comments are non issues.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Mostly because there wasn't any software for Kinect V2.

5. Dan 55 Silver badge

Let us pause a moment and remember

It gave us games such as this. It will truely be missed.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They where still making them??

7. BrownishMonstr

Microsofts products are like those jokes which would have been funny but very badly executed.

8. MJI Silver badge

Was an interesting idea

But not really great for games, same as the old Eyetoy, good to trial then useless.

Biggest game issue was lack of buttons.

Nintendo had it right with their motion controller being standard controller.

Sony messed up with not enough game support.

Want to play a shooter game with motion controls?

Wii had Goldeneye and CoD and many others

PS3 had Killzone 3 and Resistance 3 (and Portal 2 and a few others)

360 Blackwater

Yes big difference in quality there!

The technology had its place, but for gaming, not yet.

9. Mage Silver badge

Kinect vs headset vs voice

Different use cases.

This is just daft.

10. Baldrickk

You would have thought that full body sensing would work well with an AR/VR headset...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"You would have thought that full body sensing would work well with an AR/VR headset..."

As was said above. But hopefully we will get a smaller, higher resolution, faster version with a wider field of view for that!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just Dance

Hmm - so we still have Just Dance on our console and the Kinect is used to watch the 4 players dance about...

Now - they'll need 4 AR headsets or some other device? who the hell wants to wear headsets for games like that?

The motion tracking worked really well.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Just Dance

I used to love shooter fan XBots (as opposed to gamers with 360s) saying how great the dancing games were because they were Microsoft.

NOT because they were good, not because they were dance games, but because anything Xbox was automatically better than anything else.

12. Daleos

Fantastic device aimed at the wrong audience. MS could have cleaned up if they sold it for twice the price to animators, scientists and researchers.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Typical Microsoft.

From forcibly bundled to dropped, abandoning their product and leaving their customers high and dry has become habitual for them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like