back to article Microsoft says something more hyper than Storage Spaces is coming 'very soon'

Microsoft's offered an explanation, of sorts, for the unexpected disappearance of Storage Spaces Direct from Windows Server version 1709. A new FAQ on Windows Server, version 1709 posted on Thursday offers the following verbiage: Storage Spaces Direct was introduced in Windows Server 2016 and remains the foundation for our …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good plan

* Take a feature which people use and like, and remove it

* Tell them that a better feature is coming soon

I can see only one explanation: MS sees the software SAN as something of high value that they can extract more money from. Hence the replacement feature will be licensed differently to make it more expensive to use.

1. Mark 110

Re: Good plan

Surely a big IT enterprise would never be so cynical . . .

2. astrax
      Meh

Re: Good plan

Having used S2D, I think it's pretty clear that MS realised it's not production ready yet. I know it's not stopped them in the past...

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

This doesn't effect me, but the decent thing to do would have been giving advance warning that you're going to pull something, and point to the alternative that's already available.

Not pull the plug, then when people moan promise an arm-wavey replacement "soon". It appears to me that they have no plan.

OK, I'm jealous that I can't get away with giving our customers the same level of disrespect.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

looking into my crystal ball... wait...its coming to me... i can see a vision...

more storage capability (SDS) built into Windows Server licensing.... and then just like the announcement about outlook subscriptions, incentives or functionality just magically "poof" rolled into Azure (or integrated Azure backups etc)..

....MS just Azure-fied you in disguise.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like