back to article Slimy Scoble signs off from job, seeks seclusion and treatment

Robert Scoble has resigned from Transformation Group LLC, the mixed reality company in which he was a partner. Shel Israel, the founder and partner, revealed the resignation on Facebook, saying “His decision is related to recent revelations that Robert engaged in inappropriate sexual behavior, which he has confirmed are for …

1. Geriant
    Headmaster

A friend in need ...

“Even as I find the need to step away from him professionally, I am doubling down on him as a friend.”

And fair enough, too! What are a couple of minor behavioural aberrations between friends?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think men need to be aware a backfiring proposition might end up making the women in question fearful that her negative response might damage her business prospects. Leaving a woman feeling like that, or risking leaving a woman feeling like that *is deeply unprofessional and unfair.*

Having said that: as with chat-up lines, this kind of thing has little to do with the quality of the line and everything to do with the quality of the man delivering it. I suspect Scoble's biggest crime was being overweight and unattractive as he propositioned the women in question. Yer, yer, even if you are attractive and read signals well, it's unprofessional, but at the same time as being "a professional," we are all (or at least almost all of us) sexually charged human beings; and when hasn't a bit of risk added to the frisson? Poor Scoble is probably so desperate he can't distinguish "come on" from "fuck off."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A very mixed reality

The reality for powerful or wealthy men of Silicon Valley or Wall Street is that no moral code and no laws apply to them, and there is neither reason nor need to show the slightest ounce of common decency or respect to others, in particular women. Women are there to be their playthings and pawns.

The reality for any woman judged to be junior in status and attractive in hose industries is being surrounded with fat, disgusting dinosaurs, who honestly believe that it is acceptable to molest women, to continually demean them, and question their abilities. And for a long time, any attempt to raise this issue would result in them being blamed, dismissed, their careers stopped or held back, whilst their employers, and the police swept everything under the carpet.

I think the US is having its own Jimmy Saville moment. I very much doubt that much justice will be dispensed, and the complainants can expect to be further abused and humiliated in court by the defence lawyers, if any of these cases get that far.

1. Naselus

Re: A very mixed reality

Yes, it's notable just how many of the perpetrators of these crimes are leaning into the 'I recognize that I have a problem and am seeking help' excuse. Heaven forbid they're actually held accountable for actions that are outright criminal. No, it must be some kind of terrible disease that caused Weinstein to vigorously wank off into a plant pot at an upmarket restaurant, rather than a societal position of such overweening power that meant consequences just don't happen to people like him. Of course, if you did it, you'd be in a cell for indecent exposure like a flash, but you're not rich or powerful enough to have a 'problem'.

Also, odd that the 'problem' only becomes a problem after they're exposed; you'd have thought Harvey could have noticed at some stage in the previous 30 years that bursting into people's hotel rooms and jerking off in their shower was not a popular move and might be something to seek counseling over.

2. Gommster

Re: A very mixed reality

thats not actually true and to look at this as being a US problem that is centred on a couple of high power industries/areas is over-simplification of the problem and also inaccurate. Things are just as bad over here and where I have seen pockets of bad behaviour within industries or geographies this has been as a result of over-powerful individual personalities with poor morals with cliques forming around them that extend/protect their power as opposed to anything endemic to any one industry or area.

this looks to me like a steamroller starting to move and when it gains some real momentum it'll be going everywhere

4. fidodogbreath

Worst internship ever

"I'm about to post my glowing review of Google Glass. I need you to come to my hotel room and take a picture of me wearing it while I'm doing a common activity..."

5. cdrcat

He has made a public defense

“No of that I’m innocent”

https://scobleizer.blog/2017/10/25/no-of-that-im-innocent-sexual-harassment-assault-accusations/

He has some hairy comments in there!

1. AdamWill

Re: He has made a public defense

...by which you mean it's an astonishing dumpster fire of epic proportions? Because, yeah, wow.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon