back to article Telstra said its 7-incher was really an 11-incher, left customers frustrated, unsatisfied

Telstra's been forced to refund users of its live Australian Rules Football streaming service, after promising a hefty 11-inch experience but delivering a less-exciting seven-inch screen. The refund's been ordered by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) in response to complaints about the Official Live App …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's like the American sandwich shop Subway.

They advertise a "foot long" sandwich that's supposed to be 12 inches, but they were sued because the sandwiches often fell short.

Once again the one doing the advertising lies about what the customer can expect to get & the customer gets the shaft.

If you're calling your 7 incher an 11 incher & expecting nobody to point that shortcoming out, then you're delusional & not likely to get ahead in the world.

(Have I punned enough yet or should I whip out another one?)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's like the American sandwich shop Subway.

It must be hard to do the 11-inch experience.

2. Billius

Re: It's like the American sandwich shop Subway.

It was 12, but Jared said "Bleh, 12?! Can't we go lower" and they settled at 11 and maybe 10.5 once ina while...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've got a twelve incher but I dont use it as a rule

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've got two feet!

I'm currently standing on them...

1. Black Betty
        Joke

Re: I've got two feet!

Q. Why does an elephant have 4 feet?

A. Because it would look bloody ridiculous with 6 inches.

3. FozzyBear
    Gimp

Telstra, has replied to those complaining

"It's not the size but the way you use it"

1. Diogenes

Re: Telstra, has replied to those complaining

No no they are holding it wrong

4. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Par for the course

One wonders whether Telstra would survive if it couldn't falsely advertise something.

5. Griffo

They ripped off normal people

I'm so glad about this. My MIL who is an AFL nut signed up for this. I watched it once with her - and omg the quality was so bad it was like wating a 640x480 video encoded in the late 1990's. You could barely see the ball. What a joke.

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: They ripped off normal people

I subscribed to the AFL service that is only available to those living outside of Australia, and I watched it on my 65" TV, using a very useful Kodi add-on written by an expat Aussie living in London (I think).

So far so good, AFL gets paid, and I get to watch the sport I like legally, it worked really well, and the quality of the stream was great.

Now the season is over, I would like to stop paying, but can I find the 'cancel service" bit?

Can I hell.

6. Big-nosed Pengie

Dealing with Telstra is its own punishment.

1. Winkypop Silver badge
      Devil

RE: Dealing with Telstra is its own punishment.

It's the 10th level of Hell.

7. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

There was a rumour going round...

...that the 11-inch ones were released prematurely.

8. JJKing
    Facepalm

Telstra screws thie customers; how unusual.

And some idiots people thought Helstra should have been the one to roll out the NBN. If they had, I think we would still have a mess like now only it would be called copper NBN, oh wait.....

1. FozzyBear
      Pint

Re: Telstra screws thie customers; how unusual.

That's an optimistic view of telstra implementing the nbn. To be honest, if telstra was doing it, there would be a group of council workers standing around a gaping hole in the ground in the middle of Parramatta Road for the past 5 years.

9. Steve 129

BS restrictions from the content owners in the first place !!!

"Telstra's deal with the AFL allowed it to deliver a live stream of matches on devices with up to a 7-inch screen"

WTF is this insane set of restrictions !!???

Come on children, quit sulking, either allow streaming, or don't !!!

Sheesh, it is no wonder people resort to pirate streams when you make it so friggin difficult to do things legally!!!

1. OffBeatMammal

Re: BS restrictions from the content owners in the first place !!!

the AFL probably sold digital rights with a bunch of restrictions in place to avoid cannibalising the TV deals they'd already sold (presumably with that restriction already defined) so can't really blame Telstra for once

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like