back to article GarageBanned: Apple's music app silenced in iOS 11 iCloud blunder

Apple is working on a fix for a bug in iOS 11 that prevents some peeps from running GarageBand. The iPhone maker says fans have reported the music-making application no longer launches properly after installing the new iOS update with iCloud integration switched on. Disabling iCloud access for GarageBand, through the iCloud …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In summary

So... perfectly normal release?

(after reading the last two paragraphs)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Naselus

Re: In summary

Insert obligatory holding-it-wrong joke here.

2. O RLY

"Countless 32-bit apps"

I wouldn't call myself an apple apologist, but Apple did shift architecture. Additionally, the App Store was full of a staggering amount of apps which users were warned for years wouldn't work on iOS 11 without update. And it was full of a lot of shit whose ignominious departure is welcome. I have two complaints: iTunes update preventing iOS app and ringtone management and the end of application backup on a computer.

That Apple forgot to update or test their own application with their own OS is funny.

1. My Coat

Re: "Countless 32-bit apps"

You can use Apple Configurator 2 from the app store to do app management, local backups from iOS devices etc (and possibly ring tones - not sure about that) from the computer. It's Apple's management tool for enterprise iOS deployments, but it's free and works fine for a single iOS device too.

2. Mad Hacker
      Mushroom

Yes This!

iTunes update preventing iOS app and ringtone management and the end of application backup on a computer.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apple fragmentation. Android just works, apple is the new fragmentation minefield, with separate apps for tablets and phones, which may or may not work...

1. Ian Joyner Bronze badge

>>Apple fragmentation. Android just works<<

A touch or sarcasm there. But it's not true. By Apple insisting that apps be updated to 32 bit is actually reducing fragmentation. And it has done so in an orderly way.

A major part of application development is to test and make sure your app works on a new system release.

4. Ian Joyner Bronze badge

We've already been through this. Firstly countless - no not countless. And out of those apps, most developers will have already recompiled in Xcode long ago and converted to 64 bit.

The example that Register gave was the Pure sound system. Well, that is Pure's fault, not Apple's. It is Pure that has not looked after their customers and (as I understand it), Pure outsourced their software development to a company that has disappeared along with the source code.

Apple has given developers more than enough warning to update their apps.

1. hellwig

Remember when people used to create things that were simple enough or good enough that they didn't need to change?

Does your "Flashlight" app really need to be 64-bit? I know the OS is now 64-bit, but if you have an ad-free flashlight app, WHY would anyone care to update it?

Now, yes, there are millions of Flashlight apps, and you might even find an ad-free one around still, but seriously, there's zero reason for the original author to A) re-up their App developer fee (something android does not have, BTW) and B) recompile in 64-bit OTHER than Apple forcing them to.

It IS Apple's fault, because APPLE is the one who changed. Sorry if some of us buy things and expect them to last for a few years.

>>It IS Apple's fault, because APPLE is the one who changed. Sorry if some of us buy things and expect them to last for a few years.<<

And Apple things tend to last for years longer than products from any other manufacturer. Your whole point just disappeared.

1. hellwig

I'm not saying Apple is wrong to switch to 64-bit. But to say that every developer is now responsible for updating their product ignores that Apple is the one forcing the switch. For some of those people, even the $99 app developer fee is not worth it, so the app dies. That app died BECAUSE of Apple's actions, not the inaction of the developer.

If you point a gun at someone and tell me to stop you, it's not my fault if you actually shoot them.

3. Muscleguy

Yawn

Has everyone forgotten when they moved from OS9x to OSX for desk and laptops back in the day? overnight lack of backwards compatibility. And long before that the move to Power PC chips and of course the introduction of Intel chipped Macs.

If you buy Apple expect to be made redundant, but the stuff still works. I have a truly ancient iPod Touch inherited from an offspring. The screen is visually damaged but still works for touch and the thing still connects to iTunes for song management on this much, much newer laptop running Sierra without problems.

We also have a still working Centris 650 desktop, formerly top of the range before Power PC chips happened. It needs a new SCSI HD and a means of doing system install (floppy drive is no longer functional) but the hardware still runs. It was the family's only computer for nearly a decade. We even used it for the first iterations of home internet when we got it, with an external 56K Modem of course. For space reasons we kept internet programs on a Zip disk.

1. RNixon

Re: Yawn

Overnight? OS X was released in 2001 and didn't lose the ability to run Mac OS 9 programs until Leopard in 2007.

PowerPC Macs had a Motorola 680x0 emulator, so old programs kept working. There were compatibility issues with some, of course. Intel Macs came out in 2006, and PowerPC programs worked until the 2011 release of 10.7 Lion.

2. Ian Joyner Bronze badge

>>If you buy Apple expect to be made redundant<<

No, that is technology in general. Technology moves.

Actually Apple do a very good job of making sure that applications and their developers remain technology independent and thus move with the times. Some developers ignore Apple's guidelines thinking they can do better, or they might save a few processor cycles – but they pay for that in the end.

The move from OS 9 to OS X certainly did not happen overnight. Blue Box was provided for several years to allow OS 9 apps to be run under OS X. Blue Box was named after a telephone spoofing device Jobs and Wozniak had used in their youth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_box

So really, if you buy Apple, you are mainly protected from technology change – but Apple is also a leader in putting old technologies to bed in order to force the situation.

1. Kirk Northrop

This is very true, and shows when you look at Microsoft's insistence at keeping everything hanging around forever. Can you still run 16 bit Windows applications on Windows 10? If so, is that *really* helpful?

Apple have forced the death of floppy drives and optical drives, helped the introduction of USB (and the death of all the other ports) and moved everyone to 64-bit by default. In each case, there's been a good, managed and encouraged several year change over.

It's also why many businesses could not afford to use Apple products (aside from the cost differences) - businesses often happily keep their ancient systems rolling on with the minimum of upgrades and effort.

It also exemplifies that old Joel Spolsky thing of every check box is a decision someone wasn't bold enough to make. Microsoft are scared to turn off support because one person somewhere is still using it. Their settings menus are ever longer because one person uses that obscure option. Apple just make the decision and tell people to like it or lump it. Not always perfect, but much better at shuffling on the tech world.

It is not only as you say, all those options (as Joel Spolsky says – developer of Microsoft's best product!). Throwing in many options, I agree, shows lack of thought. But it is also a marketing thing "let's make this product look powerful and complete". So you can fool many of the people much of the time – and that is what Microsoft does.

Apple by contrast works out carefully what will be useful, what we are really trying to do with a product and sticks to that. They thus come up with far fewer options, but it takes sophisticated users (with a lot of analysis) to realise this minimalistic-looking product is just as powerful and useful (probably even more) than a system with lots of options and buttons.

This has even been the problem in computing - people think computers must be complex and expose that complexity. On the contrary, computers are to control the underlying complexity of the world and present users with something that is both usable and useful.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let's remain calm and reasonable, people!

Guys, I think we need to cut Apple some slack here. They're the best hardware and software company on the planet, yet remain grounded and humble. Even God slips up sometimes - how else to explain the Kardashians - so we must allow the world's greatest collection of cool geniuses the occasional whoopsie.

Besides that, the sort of 'artists' that use GarageBand as a composition tool on a frickin' iPad deserve to have all their shitty 'art' wiped out immediately and irreversibly, the twat-bearded pony-tailed man-freaks. Real music is wrestled into existence on real instruments, with talent, sacrifice and blood, not by tapping a tablet in a coffee bar like a retarded monkey. So I'm all for Apple leaving this bug well and truly in place for ever more.

God dammit.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Let's remain calm and reasonable, people!

Or women-freaks.

2. Hardon

"Real music is wrestled into existence on real instruments, with talent, sacrifice and blood, not by tapping a tablet in a coffee bar like a retarded monkey."

Best, most accurate statement made on this thread.

90% of the lame-ass wanna-be "musicians" who rely on shit like Garageband to compose couldn't play a fucking kazoo. I have zero empathy,

Pick up a guitar, not a mouse.

3. The Indomitable Gall

You can use Garageband as a simple multitrack, if you want, and given that it's free with any iOS device, if you need a multitrack recorder, why not use it? (In fact, the original Garageband was pretty much just a multitrack with a couple of extra functions!)

Garageband is definitely not mutually incompatible with real instruments.

5. MrKrotos

Lol, your showing your age!

So "real music" is only allowed to be made on a "real instrument"?

In that case, why are you using a computer? You should be using a Typewriter!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Typewriter? You bloody hipster!

I used hand cast letterpress to compose this*. Take your fancy pants typewriter and pour your fancy lardee-dah filter coffee and shove it!

*I saw that letterpress is now classed as an artisan craft form. At this point I released no matter how are I kicked the knob-heads face on the TV, it didn't hurt him....which was a shame.

6. My other car is an IAV Stryker
    FAIL

A whiner is me

My only gripes with iOS 11, since the rest either doesn't apply or got patched:

- The well-mentioned Wi-Fi and Bluetooth so-called "on/off" buttons in Control Center

- The new "Podcasts" app. REALLY hate what they've done -- taken a clean, focused functional design and confused the hell out of it. It won't play new items subsequently (manually start each one); it won't clearly show what's new/unplayed versus what's not; it keeps showing OLD (like, a year ago) stuff instead of newest; does "delete" remove a download, hide the feed item, WHAT; et cetera.

Go ahead and thumb down if you like the new Podcasts; I just don't.

7. John Tserkezis

Holding guitar wrong.

Nuff' said.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like