back to article I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing Gluon: Amazon, Microsoft hope easy AI dev tool sticks

Amazon and Microsoft on Thursday rolled out open-source software called Gluon in the stated hope of simplifying the implementation of machine learning. Gluon provides an interface, in the form of an API, for building neural networks, something that's not all that easy to do for those not steeped in the art. The software, …

1. ratfox

Rushing for developers

We're not really sure what AI can do, but we want it to be done on our cloud.

1. Milton

Re: Rushing for developers

AI does not even exist as a thing, beyond the excited babbling of our marketurds, but we're gonna pretend there's some in this box. Especially if we can con gullible journos into conflating neural nets and/or machine learning into "AI".

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Let a hundred thousand mechanical chittering Chuckys bloom!

Seriously, I am on a project that doesn't even manage to reliably get a date into and back out of a relational database and what is this?

Maybe I can use it in my model train set.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Pint

For those who have interest in the matter

...since I first read Santa Fe Institute's Introduction to the Theory of Neural Computation instead of going on holiday or actually studying for the exam, NNs have indeed evolved:

Deep Learning: Theory, Algorithms, and Applications. Berlin, June 2017: "Information Theory of Deep Learning" by Naftali Tishby

as written about in Quanta Magazine last month (I thought it was last week? what's wrong with me)

New Theory Cracks Open the Black Box of Deep Learning

The above comes with a gratuitous image of a pixel-ized bulldog in a kind of rum bottle.

4. nkuk

Shirley what they're calling AI isn't real AI?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In the rush to claim mastery over artificial intelligence

It seems that we are forsaking our human natural intelligence.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like