back to article Oracle’s automated database is a minimum viable release - analyst

Oracle’s annual OpenWorld conference is over. The streets of San Francisco are free of the hordes of execs, devs and analysts, and everyone has gone home to mull over what they've learned. The order of the day was - quelle surprise - cloud, plus a good measure of machine learning, blockchain and chatbots thrown in on the side …

1. Duncan Macdonald

Given Oracle's pricing

Why would any sane organization want to use yet more Oracle software ?

Also a bug in the "automated DBA" could result in multiple companies databases crashing at the same time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Given Oracle's pricing

I also wonder how they plan to beat AWS's pricing by 50%... Does that mean AWS's Oracle pricing?

Autonomous DBs are not new. Google Cloud's Spanner is autonomous and infinitely horizontally scalable across geos.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Given Oracle's pricing

"“We’ve been developing this for decades,” Loaiza said -"

They have sure hidden it well then. Oracle DB patches are some of the most painful and complex such exercises I have ever encountered. Versus say SQL Server where it's click and go!

Not to mention having to allow Java to run the installer for Oracle!

2. Mephistro

So, giving absolute control of companies data to Oracle would benefit who, exactly?

Oracle, of course!.

They've probably discovered already dozens of ways of monetising data from the companies that swallow this.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

For what it's worth, I've been engineering my jobs out of existence for some time. Not there in any of the IT fields, sadly. This type of work requires serious deep pockets, so we watch and wait to see which Goliaths actually do it right. Bring popcorn subscription.

4. Lysenko

It's a trap ...

... obviously. Freeing skilled staff from mundane tasks is going to fundamentally be about freeing Oracle DBAs from the payroll entirely, thus reinforcing lock in and setting the stage for lucrative consulting deals because such companies will neither have the skills to port elsewhere nor maintain their client side systems independently.

5. Tim99 Silver badge
    Coat

Ex Oracle developer

I worked with the Oracle platform from V5. A question from back then:- What do you call Oracle customers? A: Hostages.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Should I surrender control...

.... to low-paid Oracle employees in foreign countries? I see a lot of legal issues here - and even non-legal ones.

1. Steve K

Re: Should I surrender control...

Good point - is the autonomous cloud database actually a Mechanical Turk/Romanian/etc.?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like