back to article SCARY SPICE: Pumpkin air freshener sparks school evacuation

A high school in Baltimore, USA, was evacuated this week after a pumpkin spice air freshener made four people ill and triggered a hazardous materials scare. Cristo Rey Jesuit High School was emptied out Thursday and searched by police after they got a call that two students and two adults had gotten sick after inhaling strong …

1. Lee D Silver badge

"After the break, we'll be bringing you the story of the Lush store that was shut down as a chemical health hazard. Keep watching."

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder if it was done as a trick or treat?

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Trollface

It might have started of as a trick, but the kids got to leave school early so it turned into a treat!

2. Adam 1

Stop! These puns are too much. I wannabe ill. Goodbye!

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

Posh Spice

Enter the luxurious world of Victoria Beckham with the beautifully floral scent of Intimately. The romantic aroma of fresh flowers dominates this fragrance, with top notes of citrusy bergamot and pure rose petals giving way to sweet tuberose and lily.

Sorry to disappoint - it says here "We no longer sell this product."

https://www.tesco.com/direct/intimately-beckham-for-her-75ml-edt/210-2961.prd

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

It wasn't an unfortunate concentration of Starbucks pumpkin spice lattes?

Lord knows what they really put in those!

(Mine's the yellow hazmat suit, with oxygen tank)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It wasn't an unfortunate concentration of Starbucks pumpkin spice lattes?

Sugar, absolute fuck-tonnes of sugar....

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

High Fructose sugar at that... Ugh!

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

table sugar is 50% fructose anyway. High fructose corn syrup is..... 50% fructose.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Unhappy

"High Fructose sugar at that"

or just a bottle of corn syrup

4. redpawn

Impossible!

Air freshener cleans the air. Doesn't it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Impossible!

I agree, something smells about this story but I'm not going to fall for it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes it does. Too bad the word "fresh" has no legally defined meaning...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Too bad the word "fresh" has no legally defined meaning..."

It is interesting that Swedish has a nuance for "fresh" that is lacking in English. They have two words that differentiate something like "fresh fish" from something that is pleasantly "fresh smelling".

Google Translate gives "färsk" which I believe is the former - but it doesn't give me the other word which I think is "friska". The Swedish translation of "Asterix in America" used the two words for a pun. The "fresh" fish for the village shop came the long way via Paris suppliers - rather than being caught in the village's nearby sea.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

@AC

The "fresh" fish for the village shop came the long way via Paris suppliers

Very Unhygienix. Must be full of Bacteria

3. Teiwaz

Air freshener cleans the air. Doesn't it?

Pumpkin has got to rank a little more popular than cauliflower or cabbage - at least in theory.

1. Bob Wheeler

Back in the 70's and 80's I always thought that NHS hospitals stank of boiled cabbage

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Grand pumpkin takes its revenge...

Someone must have been making pumpkin bread or carving Halloween pumpkins.

6. Oldfogey
    Devil

Last year after Halloween Lidl were selling off pumpkins for 20p. Bought a stack and made spiced pumpkin wine - time to try it and see whether to do it again this year.

Today saw a store selling pumpkin muffins. Best before 10 October!

1. redpawn

Last year

They should be about perfect for the 31st. How many did you purchase for your trick-or-treaters?

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Today saw a store selling pumpkin muffins. Best before 10 October!"

I was Aldi on Friday and they have Xmas puddings and Xmas mince pies on sale. I assume the best before, at least on the mince pies, is well before Xmas otherwise they must be just chemical recreations or look-a-like mince pies.

1. Tom 7

RE:Today saw a store selling pumpkin muffins. Best before 10 October!"

A lot of winter foods contain natural preservatives (vinegar and shit loads of sugar) and are also quite dry. All these thing slow bacterial action and mean that they will last a long time even without refrigeration. My mum uses to panic if the Xmas cake was not done by August. I've had 2 year old xmas pud and its no worse than a fresh one. A good chutney takes at least a year to mature.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: RE:Today saw a store selling pumpkin muffins. Best before 10 October!"

" I've had 2 year old xmas pud and its no worse than a fresh one. "

On the contrary they have to improve with age - if they are made with decent ingredients. Shops now sell "12 month matured" Xmas puddings. My friend often gives me home made ones that have been matured for two years. Similar maturing is needed with Xmas cake.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
        Alien

Mince Pies

My local Tesco has been selling them since early september.

All I need now is the cheesy christmas songs being playes as musak while we shop. Before the end of the month I recon.

Some TV channels are already outputting Chistmans films 24/7 and have been for several weeks. Already saw a listing for 'It's a wonderful life'. no, I didn't watch it.

I refuse to have anything to do with Christmas until 1st Dec.

1. Tromos
          Coat

Re: Mince Pies

I refuse to have anything to do with Christmas until Boxing day.

Mine's the one with the bag of humbugs in the pocket.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I assume the best before, at least on the mince pies, is well before Xmas [...]"

I made the mistake last year of buying mince pies from Aldi in early December - getting ready for the local food bank's Xmas special appeal. Not only were they very close to expiry - some packs were two weeks past their "best" date. They didn't refresh their stock until it was almost too late for the food bank's last Xmas collection.

3. Tom 7

@oldfogey

Good one - pumpkin wine is pretty good. Not tried the spice one.

For all you alcoholics out there Cyril Berry's 'First Steps in Winemaking' will help you get pissed all year round and is cheaper than the demi-john you need to get started.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Herby

Pumpkin spice??

Wasn't that one of the Spice Girls. At least that is what I thought.

p.s. I really don't like pumpkin for eating AT ALL. They are bet for carving weird faces to scare people. Candles for illuminating optional. Oh, yes, they don't last long so you do it a couple of days before. Be sure to throw away sometime on November 1.

9. Teiwaz

Pumpkins?

So is this a Harry Potter or just a US influence...?

When I were a kid, we had to make-do with turnip. At least for carving, I can't see anyone starting their day with a tall glass of turnip juice (unless it's their final day), or make anything (except maybe enemies *) with turnip muffins.

* Baldrick might love you though...

1. elkster88

Re: Pumpkins?

"When I were a kid, we had to make-do with turnip. "

Luxury!

We had to make do with Turnip Helper™, without the turnip.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No Turnips?

Luxury.

When I were a lad we had no carrots, no parsnips and no cabbage. We were the true anti-thesis of luxury.

That said we did have peas.

1. Teiwaz

When I were a lad we had no carrots, no parsnips and no cabbage. We were the true anti-thesis of luxury.

There'd at least be novelty value in, if not a few guineas for a good boy who could carve halloween masks from garden peas....

Trying the same trick with carrots or parsnips would likely result in inappropriate results...

2. Spudley

No Turnips?

Luxury.

Bringing it back on topic, I heard that peas are going to be banned for halloween. The witches won't allow them.

Because, you know, there's no peas for the wicked.

1. Pedigree-Pete

Re; Spudly pun.

Where's the "groan" icon? PP

10. STrRedWolf
    Facepalm

And badly sourced.

The report pointed to a CBS network affiliate... which isn't in Baltimore. It pulled the copy from the Baltimore CBS station, WJZ.

Yes, I've sent a correction notice in. I bet the Reg hacks are sleeping off their hangovers...

11. Ernie Mercer

"Air fresheners" are nothing of the sort. They add perfumes and fragrances to the air that can be toxic to some people (me).

1. An nonymous Cowerd

air-freshener = increased asthma

I seem to recall from 'A'-level chemistry, that some of the 'air-freshener' fragrances are extracted from petroleum in the same factories as pesticides and fertilizers;

they allegedly contain phthalates (DEP, DBP) and other endocrine disruptors';

have been tested as subliming 1,4-dichlorobenzene (1,4-DCB) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,4-Dichlorobenzene (febreze? - blocks your nose function!);

release nano-particles of ???$undefined into your local environment;

typically make asthmatic kids WORSE

12. Dave 32

Pumpkin Pie Spice

Don't forget that pumpkin pie spice is a mixed spice, typically consisting of Cinnamon and Nutmeg, perhaps with a few other spices thrown in (Ginger, Cloves).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin_pie_spice

Then, remember that Nutmeg is a hallucinogen!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutmeg#Psychoactivity_and_toxicity

I had a buddy who ate a small spice can of Nutmeg one weekend. He said he was seeing pink elephants floating around the room for the next week.

Do you really want your kids snorting the stuff?!?

Dave

13. Stevie

Bah?

Nauseating is right. Drop into any craft store this time of year and the stench is overpowering. That, and the stink of "christmas spices" give me pounding headaches within minutes.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like