back to article Android slingers tout mobes with customized baked-in big-biz configs

Google has said it will begin allowing its enterprise customers to purchase pre-configured Android smartphones and other devices that will ship with corporate policies and settings already in place. The Mountain View ads giant said the feature, dubbed "Zero Touch Enrollment" would make it far easier for companies to get full …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can we eliminate operator cruft this way ?

Like all the shite that gets bundled from 3, Vodafone, EE (the worst) and O2 ???

If so, sign me up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can we eliminate operator cruft this way ?

None of that on my SIM-free phone, matey. No operator logos, no network lock, no tie in.

Where's the "smug AC bastard" icon?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No WiFi calling or Visual Voicemail, either. Some operator cruft is worth it. You just gotta learn to disable the rest.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

No WiFi calling

If you are referring to WiFi calling using the operator assigned number - sorry, I do not see why I should be sponsoring cost savings for the operator. If they want to put less masts at my expense and provide less coverage using WiFi as an excuse, the only answer I am incline to give is - NO PASARAN.

If you are referring to VOIP and WiFi calling in general, my phones have been perfectly capable of that feat for nearly a decade now and it has been nearly a decade since I bought the last operator phone. They are all unlocked, SIM-free and all of them very happily hook up back to my SIP PBX using SIP TLS and sRTP over WiFi.

1. Charles 9

You've never used it internationally then, have you? Being able to call home without incurring international rates simply by using a hotspot (especially when the destination number will ONLY talk to a domestic number), at no additional charge, has saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

And no PBX required. No third-party subscriptions. And I can still use my root-aware apps.

PS. You still haven't replied re: visual voicemail, which is ALWAYS carrier-specific because voicemail runs on carrier servers. I've yet to see an MVNO that allows Visual Voicemail (because 9 times out of 10 they don't allow call forwarding, either, preventing third-party voicemails from working).

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Been trying to do what your doing. I have a lineageOS LG G3 with nothing google and I installed a sip client but I've been hitting a wall with sip providers requiring 911 location services so for now all I have is a sip address.

2. EH

My pixel has wifi calling

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: You just gotta learn to disable the rest.

Have you tried ? No. So shut up.

Last phone SWMBO had came with 4 apps that could not be disabled or removed (unless you rooted the phone).

1. Charles 9

Re: You just gotta learn to disable the rest.

Care to specify which they were? Odds are they're core apps which is why they can't be disabled.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: Care to specify which they were?

Facebook, Twitter, Some Tesco App, Some Motorola App.

2. Semtex451
    Pint

Finally some good news

...since Blackberry became a Brick as a service vendor

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Zero Google services, data slurping & no connections to Google servers.

How many do I need to order?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Zero Google services, data slurping & no connections to Google servers.

That's all well and good but what about availability of other mundane things like security updates?

These things matter to Corporate IT you know...

If google are going to offer this sort of package then they need to do it properly. Doing only half a job won't cut it in Corporate IT Land.

4. oneeye

Sounds like a good move on Google's part Along with how future updates will be done, Treble, that is, security will definitely be enhanced.

5. PNGuinn
    Pirate

"Google has said it will begin allowing its enterprise customers to purchase pre-configured Android smartphones and other devices that will ship with corporate policies and settings already in place."

With customised added G-centric data slurping ad slinging software for you the product's enhanced security and user experience ? ...

Call me a cynical old b*stard if you like.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like