back to article Former UK.gov IT man and Python king's guide to neural networks

If you're going to learn about neural networks, you could do worse than learn it from someone who got five A levels (all grade As), has his MSc in Advanced Computing, and can tell you how to build your own neural network in 30 lines of code, even if you don't know any calculus. There aren't many people fitting that description …

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

gov.uk

as above

2. cbars Bronze badge

Well...

I'd never heard of him, thanks for the article, seems like a decent chap.

I'm impressed he's advised government with 'sensible' advice and managed to get away without being fired!

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Well...

It didn't say they listened

1. PVecchi

Well... his advice was so good that they had to make up a "Cloud first" policy to stop an Open Source first policy. I guess other parts of the Government received pressures as a successful Open Source policy could have killed someone's' monopoly on the public sector and the nation.

He wrote also a nice set of recommendations that since he left hasn't been updated just in case civil servants discovered better ways to do things:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/78964/Open_Source_Options_v2_0.pdf

Relevant official page linking to that document cannot be found any more.

2. taxman

Indeed. "That enabled them to expand from using just BlackBerry devices into support for Android, iOS and Chromebooks. "I was proud of that," he adds" Most still using Blackberry phones, odd bits like MoD accept Apple in "some" places. Some are using Windows OS phones.

Android? CESG passed Samsung Knox a couple of years ago but hasn't got traction yet.

But yes, Seems a nice guy. But why years working in a relatively low paid job!

2. PVecchi

I can confirm Tariq IS a very decent chap and it's a real shame that gov.uk hasn't understood that as we need guys (& gals) like him around.

3. steelpillow Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Deserves the best

Hope his book becomes a bestseller, both he and his subject deserve it.

A very switched-on and straight kind of guy, I met him at one of his gov Open Source presentations and we shared our pain at **** bureaucrats.

1. keithpeter Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Deserves the best

Just ordered a (paper) copy.

About time that I upgraded my modest programming skills.

Python seems like a good language to learn (I teach basic Maths and often need to produce graphs, diagrams, charts &c) and the subject matter looks interesting.

We shall see.

4. Morten Bjoernsvik

jupyter notebooks

The book has a git repo with jypyter notebooks also:

https://github.com/makeyourownneuralnetwork/makeyourownneuralnetwork

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like