back to article Another dimension, new galaxy. Intergalactic planar-tary: Join us on our 3D NAND journey

Part one of my attempt to understand the transition from 2D to 3D NAND started out by trying to understand how 2D NAND is made, so that its development towards 3D NAND can be understood. To recap just a little, a crucial aspect of 2D or planar NAND is that it is made up of bitline strings – individual cells connected in series …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

all this techy stuff is great

But I am sure that a good number of the El Reg readers want to know when SSD's etc that have sizes greater than 512Gb are going to drop in price to affordable levels...

It is all well and good for companies to announce 100TB (or whatever) sized Devices but to most of us these are in fantasy land when it comes to the cost.

I have one 2TB SSD but that was only affordable after a nice bit of compensation came my way due to a very delayed flight from Thailand.

The 4K Videos that I have shot in the past year occupy a good portion of that. I added almost 32Gb to the total on Saturday (raw + rendered)

I shudder to think what storage 8K Videos will take up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: all this techy stuff is great

This article indicates why SSDs of this design are *unlikely* to drop in price dramatically, given how fiendishly difficult they are to manufacture.

As for 4K videos, those are a nice example of material which is optimally stored on HDD: large contiguous files accessed sequentially.

Of course, the ruggedness of an SSD is a benefit if this is a portable device being thrown around a lot. But I'd be inclined to use the SSD for current working set, and archive off to HDD when you get home. And back it up to a second HDD, preferably remote, if the data has any value to you.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"back it up to a second HDD"

Magnetic is not backup, it is storage.

Optical or tape is the only true backup medium.

Backup to a blu-ray for large files, and store it in a dry, dark place. It's the only way to be sure.

1. Cuddles
          FAIL

Re: "back it up to a second HDD"

"Magnetic is not backup, it is storage.

Optical or tape is the only true backup medium."

I guess it's a good job tape isn't magnetic then.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: all this techy stuff is great

I wouldn't worry about storing 8K videos because there's no point in filming at that resolution. 4K isn't nearly as big of an improvement over HD as HD was over DVD resolution. The difference between 4K and 8K will be almost impossible to see unless you have an absolutely massive TV, so why would any non-professional ever want to film in 8K?

2. Pen-y-gors

A luddite writes...

I am a bear of very little brain. I'm glad there are clever people who understand all this witchcraft.

I've got a memory 'card' out of an old NCR(?) computer that is made up of proper little ferrite cores with criss-crossing wires. About 4in square, and holds 1024 bits!

I still think tying knots in string and cutting notches in sticks was a pretty reliable way of storing data.

1. Long John Brass
      Happy

Re: A luddite writes...

I still think tying knots in string and cutting notches in sticks was a pretty reliable way of storing data.

String and Wood rots; You want fired clay or stone tablets

3. TheNix
    Happy

Hello nasty

Is this the first ever NAND / Beastie Boys mash-up? The perfect partners: why has no-one thought of this before?!

4. bloody27

why do the Japan government not buy toshiba memory business

hi Chris,why do the Japan government not buy toshiba memory business directly?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still confused

Does this mean there is a hole being etched to connect every cell?

Why not run the select lines horizontally and vertically within each layer as per 2D flash, then etch only a small number of holes for layer-selection and to combine the outputs of each layer? With fewer holes you can allow a larger die area per hole, giving a greater margin for error when stacking more layers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon