back to article James Webb Telescope will be infatuated with Europa and Enceladus

NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope will be focused on Europa and Enceladus, the moons of Jupiter and Saturn, in efforts to uncover the secrets of how life began in the Solar System. Europa and Enceladus have captivated scientists with rising plumes of water cracking beneath their icy surfaces. The moons have been described as “ …

1. Tony W

Microbial life?

Microbial life is life. Although it's a big step from that to complex life.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Microbial life?

"Although it's a big step from that to complex life."

Having been to several Wetherspoons on a friday night, I'm not sure that some of the 'complex life' I've seen in there is much of a step up from microbes.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> "Microbial life is life. Although it's a big step from that to complex life."

True, but the really complex step is from nothing to a functioning, replicating cell. The number of things going on in the simplest living cell is mind blowing. Every improvement after that is largely incremental (altho pretty cool I'll admit).

3. Sceptic Tank Silver badge

Microbial live is life.

1. AbelSoul
        Trollface

... live is life.

NA NA, NANA NA!

4. Juhani Vehvilainen

I guess you read it slightly wrong. The way I see it microbial life was not posed as an as alternative to life but as as an alternative to "natural geologic processes." (I also oppose the word "natural" here as there's nothing unnatural about life either, microbial or otherwise.)

So the options are: microbial life or geologic processes.

2. frank ly

Boldly

"...other ingredients needed for life."

That's "... life Jim but only as we know it."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Active for five to ten years

Why such a short lifetime, compared to Hubble? Is it because it will be difficult or impossible to service because of its orbital location at L2?

1. Andy Non Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Active for five to ten years

difficult or impossible to service

That would be a memorable on-call feature for El Reg.

"Got a little job for you, it may take you a while to get there and back to do the fix, so you'll need to take a packed lunch or two... and a space suit."

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
        Thumb Up

. . . and don't even think about filing for overtime pay.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

There probably more than a few that would be figuring out how to pay NASA so they could make the trip. I'd go.

2. I just wish to be anonymous.

I'd want over-overtime for the time dilation.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

IR telescopes needs cooling. When the cooling systems no longer operates, they become big pieces of space junks. And being outside any range for maintenance, no way to replace the cooling system. Actually, if anything goes wrong, it will last even less...

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

The mid IR instruments are cooled by a mechanical fridge, the near IR camera is passively cooled - that's the main reason for putting it so far out from Earth.

The lifetime is set by fuel for the maneuvering thrusters

3. hattivat

In addition to what has already been said, it si worth noting that Hubble's lifespan has been artificially extended beyond what would make sense from a purely economic point of view - a major factor in the cost-benefit analysis preceding the servicing missions was its value as a "brand" that is instantly recognizable to most people and thus very valuable for public outreach (which has always been a challenge for space programs).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Main purpose

Although I'm sure that the JWST will be used to make observations of many objects in our solar system I rather suspect that it will spend the majority of its time observing very distant objects where, due to their red-shift, a lot of the info in which we're interested will have been shifted down to the IR.

5. Nolveys

Europa and Enceladus

If there are two bodies that are begging for a deep and thorough probing it's them. I hope I live to see the day.

6. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Alien

Welcome Overlords

I for one welcome our plumes of spacefaring microbial overlords.

Why is JWSpaaaaceT being launched from French Guiana? I suppose it has to do with it being close to the equator and better alignment to L2. Well, whatever the case may be, I hope the launch goes well. It would suck mightily if that thing were to land up in the ocean or somewhere in a LEO after all the years of hype and $-billions having gone into its development.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Welcome Overlords

NASA and ESA are sharing the project - ESA made an Ariane available.

Re: Welcome Overlords

Ironically most of the design elements of the telescope, like the folding mirror, were set by a NASA requirement to launch it on an American rocket. The designs that would require the much larger Ariane were constantly rejected.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Didn't we vote to leave Europa?

The UK is a minor partner of ESA the European space Agency who are part building the telescope instruments, we will probably stay in that because the R&D center is at Harwell and even Canada is a member of ESA. The UK isn't part of Arianespace, the (just about) profit making launcher.

2. hplasm
      Alien

Didn't we vote to leave Europa?

...AND ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE.

/Space Juncker

8. MT Field

And didn't some of the Merkun politicians try to block funding because of its potentially blasphemous resolving power?

9. Tom Paine
    Boffin

Minor correction

The moons have been described as “ocean worlds,” as they may harbor liquid water

No, they're sometimes refered to as "ocean worlds" because various instrumental data from Galileo and Cassini show they both have global oceans, a layer that's tens to hundreds of miles thick. MARS has water, tons of it. Hell there's water on MERCURY. No-one's calling those ocean worlds ;>

10. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

“The James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) is expected to launch in 2018”

Actual launch date: Dec 25, 2021

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like