back to article Microsoft president exits US govt's digital advisory board as tech leaders quit over Trump

Tech leaders today resigned from the US government's digital economy advisory board over President Trump's inability to unequivocally condemn racists. So far, confirmed resignations include executive chairwoman of the Mozilla Foundation Mitchell Baker; president of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In fairness to Trump...

Mitchell Baker was only allowed in because Trump had a dog called Bowser when he was a kid, and he thought that's what Mitchell was actually talking about. When the president had the facts fully explained to him, he couldn't understand any of them, so couldn't see a place for Mozilla.

1. Oh Homer
      Pint

Survey sez...

Trump will not last a full term.

And by that I mean school term.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Trump has a democratic mandate to remain in office and to represent ALL Americans who voted for him. None of these CEOs have a democratic mandate so are in no position to make such demands. Trump has been working to improve the condition of ordinary Americans who voted for him. Evidently this doesn't align with the plans of this clique who intend to continue maximising their incomes at the expense of ordinary Americans and non-Americans alike. A protest by a handful of maligned, powerless individuals is a lame excuse for shirking responsibility. Rules are needed to regulate the powerful not the powerless.

If these CEOs are turning their back on ordinary Americans, it's time American workers showed some unity against them.

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"Trump has been working to improve the condition of ordinary Americans who voted for him."

Riiiiiiiight...

Some are more gullible than others, it seems.

Sure as hell keeps up the tweeting though! One of the leading tweeter twats of the world, for sure!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is the utmost duty of the President to make simple one-sided analyses of events, and not to complicate issues with facts and reason. Simplistic 'them and us' must be preserved.

Moral high ground must be maintained.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Because driving cars in to pedestrians is such a normal and reasonable action to take?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: driving cars in to pedestrians

According to a lot of those on the extreme right, it is because it will 'Make America Great'.

It might very well end up uniting the anti-right protestors into a single coherent unit.

If that happens then the hard right may well have bitten off more than they can chew and they'll head for them there hills and their enclaves.

Perhaps a wall should be built around them? Then they can have their little bit of utopia leaving the rest of the population in peace.

Will it happen?

Probably not.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> It might very well end up uniting the anti-right protestors into a single coherent unit

Even better, it seems to be splitting the loose unity of the right. Some of the 'not quite so far right' are very unhappy with the far right, their extremism, extreme violence, and racist hate.

The 'less than extreme' are finding they have been tarred by the same brush and they do not like that one bit.

It even looks like the juveniles of the Alt-Right may be waking up to realising it's more than just shits and giggles, making snowflakes cry. It involves murder. 'Pepe the Frog was funny' but they don't find having blood on their hands quite so amusing.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
            Flame

Even better, it seems to be splitting the loose unity of the right. Some of the 'not quite so far right' are very unhappy with the far right, their extremism, extreme violence, and racist hate.

Seriously WTF?

Dude,

Perhaps you didn't get the memo, but the event scheduled in Charlottesville wasn't set to be for a single group. There were 'alt-right', 'neo nazis', KKK and other hate groups. There were also people there who wanted to protect the statues and also represent free speech. It wasn't a single group.

On the left, protesting them, you had people who were protesting the hate groups along with BLM and Antifa protesters looking for a fight. Even Couric and her team of producers were attacked by Antifa.

There was no single group on either the right or the left.

This is why Trump's comments condemning the violence may not make sense to a simpleton like you who can only think in binary terms.

At the same time, the MSM, Democrats, anti-Trump politicians have jumped on his comments. While many in the 'alt-right' have adopted Trump and his platform, it doesn't mean that's what Trump was saying.

Today, there was a commentator who said that the Democratic party is using this as a distraction so that Trump can't get anything done, so that in 2018, they can tell people to vote Democratic. Seriously, this is a valid opinion because there is a pattern of distraction.

So wake up and smell the coffee.

You are being played if you don't think that there are violent extremists on both sides of the aisle. Sure its easy to hate a neo-nazi scumbag. But don't forget about the extreme on the left. BLM has called for the death of police officers and several radials have ambushed and killed police officers in Dallas, Louisiana, NYC, and now Florida along with other incidents. The most recent attack in Florida was committed by a man who claimed to be a moor, which is a black extremist group.

To be clear, no one condones the act of the mentally unstable guy who was even unfit for the Army. Well maybe some of his neo nazi brethren and ISIS.

But you need to realize that you too are part of the problem.

You want to head down the slippery slope where you start to condemn speech you don't like.

Ask yourself where it ends...

Grow up and learn to listen and try to understand what is being said and to not fall in to the trap of violence. You're getting played by both sides.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Perhaps a wall should be built around them? Then they can have their little bit of utopia leaving the rest of the population in peace.

I may have an easier solution. Kushner has apparently massive problems filling his 666 Fifth Avenue building to the point that there seems to be serious doubt about his ability to pay off the loans he got to finance the buy (some vicious rumours even suggest that Qatar pulling back from helping him out may have prompted their current problems).

Given the fantastically appropriate house number I would propose we ship every single one of that lot to that building and then lock the door and kill power to the lifts. They can stay there for all I care, and the costs can be recovered from the money made illegally by Kushner and Trump while in office.

Just an idea..

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"It might very well end up uniting the anti-right protestors into a single coherent unit."

A day after your post we see a few far-right "free speechers" in Boston being drowned out by up to 10,000 anti-far-right protesters exercising their right to free speech. Yayyyy!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Boston?

Yayyyy!

Have you actually seen the footage?

F*ck me, I hate the far right but what actually makes you believe the behaviour of the others is acceptable. Violently attacking them, getting pepper sprayed by the police because they can't control themselves.

An eye for an eye makes everyone blind.

You can't take the moral high ground when you act like tw*ts, behaviour like that allows the far right to justify driving a car into anti-protesters.

F*cking idiots, all of them.

1. Mark 110

Re: Boston?

"F*ck me, I hate the far right but what actually makes you believe the behaviour of the others is acceptable. Violently attacking them, getting pepper sprayed by the police because they can't control themselves."

I am not a violent man. And in life I attempt to address racism with reasoned argument. But seriously!!!! You expect me to react with anything other than anger and violence to a rally of people attempting to denigrate my loved ones because of the colour of their skin. Have you listened to their rhetoric?

The fact is they should be dealt with by the law. If the law fails to deal with them and allows them to espouse such views in public then what are the options?

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

The options are using your vote, petitioning politicians, if there is enough people and clearly there is then start your own political movement. Peaceful protest (which works btw, I would quote history but do I really need to?)

If you resort to violence then you are saying violence is acceptable and guess what happens then? The other side who already see violence as being acceptable (driving a car into people) are vindicated in their minds and as this is the good old gun carrying us of a what exactly do you think is going to happen at the next rally? It's going to be f*cking bloodbath and then who do we blame? It's difficult to blame someone for protecting themselves even if their rhetoric is f*cking awful.

By all means protest, by all means shout abuse at these nut jobs, by all means block them peacefully, stand in their way but the one thing you can't and shouldn't do is attack them violently because that makes you no better than them.

1. strum

I'm a peaceable man, who would much prefer peaceful methods to oppose those who would drag us into the gutter. But, I live on Cable Street, London (USANIANs Google it) and have regular reminders that it wasn't reasoned argument that stopped Mosley's fascists. it wasn't a vote and it wasn't a legal challenge. It was the fists of angry Eastenders humiliating Mosley's 'strongmen', consigning fascism in Britain to the margins, for the 80 years since.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Have you actually seen the footage?

F*ck me, I hate the far right but what actually makes you believe the behaviour of the others is acceptable. Violently attacking them, getting pepper sprayed by the police because they can't control themselves."

Yes, I have. Considering the numbers of people involved, it was remarkably calm and peaceful, finishing with what Al Jazeera report described as a party or picnic atmosphere.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-40990834/boston-demonstrations-how-the-day-unfolded

00:59 - Right wing nut job with head cut after being chased.

01:14 - Police use mace spray against anti-protesters.

This is the BBC who are the most left leaning news reporter in the UK.

Did they have scones and tea at this picnic? I'm seeing something different for obvious reasons that are clear in the video.

Now we can all argue the semantics about who is right or who is wrong all day long but violence will result in more violence.

I don't care if people downvote what I write because at the end of the day I know I'm right and I'll be proven I'm right when these fuckwits shoot anti-protesters at the next rally.

One thing that does strike me as odd is why is this now getting attention? These idiots have been around for years, what's changed? I don't like the wig wearing wanker in white house but by doing this the press are playing into his hands.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
                  Megaphone

@AC Re: Boston?

One thing that does strike me as odd is why is this now getting attention? These idiots have been around for years, what's changed? I don't like the wig wearing wanker in white house but by doing this the press are playing into his hands.

I up voted you because you're correct.

What people don't want to believe or understand that under Obama, the hate groups on both sides of the aisle grew. On the right, there isn't a single group. 'alt-right' , 'neo-nazis', KKK, etc all grew and some members belong to multiple groups. On the left, the violence of antifa grew because it was tolerated and allowed. BLM was started during Obama who also interjected in to racial issues like the Treyvon Martin incident and Ferguson.

The hate groups on the right co-opted Trump's message. They are willfully misinterpreting Trump's 'Make America Great Again' to promote their hate filled agendas. (remember there are multiple fringe groups).

The reason you see this blowing up is that the MSM, and the Democrats have been against Trump from the get go. They have manufactured incident after incident as a way to derail Trump and slowing his ability to make changes so that in 2018, they can point to a lack of change and then try to persuade people to vote them back in.

BTW, that is Trump's real hair. Its called a comb over.

And its not that they are playing in to his hands, but that they are playing the masses to promote their own agenda.

2. strum

>I don't care if people downvote what I write because at the end of the day I know I'm right

I'm downvoting, partly because you're wrong, but also because you're an arrogant arsehole.

2. Ian Michael Gumby
            Boffin

@John Brown ... Re: driving cars in to pedestrians

Since you brought up Boston....

1) Unlike Charlottesville, the police did their job. Anything that could be used as a weapon wasn't allowed. No backpacks either.

2) The Charlottesville organizer reported that the buses that they rented to take them to the rally wasn't allowed to stop at the planned starting point and was rerouted to the side where the protesters were. Think about that for a second.

3) Even with few event attendees, there was still violence. There's video of an Antifa member grabbing the flag out of the hands of a woman who was peacefully protesting. Other protesters helped keep the peace, yet some of the Antifa protesters were arrested for attacking the police.

In addition, I suggest you find some commentary from people like Dr. MLKs daughter who condemn the violence, including on the part of Antifa and BLM.

Also BLM has gone beyond fighting to expose police violence against minorities and have added an Anti--Israel plank to their platform.

The best thing you can do is to avoid these protesters and condemn hate and violence from both sides.

4. Ian Michael Gumby
          Flame

@Steven Davies the turd [sic]... Re: driving cars in to pedestrians

You sir, are part of the problem.

No one condones the action of that insane moron. Well maybe some of the Hitler Youth or ISIS.

What makes America great is that you can have a difference of opinion. Unfortunately under Obama, unless you were expressing a PC opinion, its ok to get violent and to shout you down. Hence the rise in all of these groups. Obama was not only the greatest gun salesman, but also gave a boost to the Antifa movement, allowed for the creation of the BLM and added fuel to the 'alt-right' / 'white supremacist' and racial bigots. (There 's a fringe group calling themselves moors..) I suggest you actually do some homework and you can see the rise in these groups over the past eight years.

The best thing you can do is to shut up and learn about the issue before you take a knee jerk position.

Free clue:

Did you ever think that the 'alt right' , 'neo-nazi' and 'white supremacists' are playing the violent left?

One commentator suggested that by scheduling these events, making twitter and FB comments about being prepared for violence and to bring their weapons 'for self-defense'... and saying things that 99.99% of the rest of us find vulgar, distasteful, all to rile us up so that some mental midgets are going to show up looking for a fight?

Those who attend these events to protest, violently, are playing in to their hands. The best thing we can do is to ignore them, and then counter protest where people don't fight or propose supremacy of one race or religion over another. Condemn both the Right and Left fringe groups and focus on what we need to do to make America Great again.

But no, that clue is lost on you.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: @Steven Davies the turd [sic]... driving cars in to pedestrians

Organised racism is actually illegal in many parts of the world. Guess what that makes Nazism?

5. Ian Michael Gumby
          Flame

@Steven Davies the turd [sic]... Re: driving cars in to pedestrians

Building a wall is actually a good thing.

Its amazing that people need to set up boundaries and the physical wall does just that. Trump isn't against immigration, his current wife is an immigrant. He's against illegal immigration. Protecting our borders to allow controlled entrance/egress is important to the safety of our country.

The best example why... just look at Europe today... Just look at this year's recent terror attacks. Spain, France, Germany, the UK, and even Sweden.

(I expect to be down voted by those who don't understand what I am saying)

The H1-B program needs to be revamped because of the rampant fraud and abuse.

The H2-B program should have been kept in to place, however, greater protection should have been put in place to protect the guest workers.

For full disclosure, I own a farm that I rent out to a commercial grower. Their H2-B visa workers are taken care of... there is housing as well as care for their families, which is in part why we have had a long term relationship. I have seen their houses/dorms on a local farm. I also have seen some abuses against other workers and mobile crews. This is why I believe revamping and improving these programs is important.

Its very easy for mental midgets like you who don't take the time to learn the whole story before making a knee jerk comment. What you see is a very complex issue and you're over simplifying it as a way to justify your rage.

2. I3N
        Facepalm

And that "All Lives Splatter"

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
          Unhappy

"All Lives Splatter"

Agreed it's inappropriate, insensitive and no doubt offensive to a lot of people.

But isn't part of some of you also thinking "Nice troll" and "all lives splatter. Genius."

Of course you're ashamed of such thoughts, but it doesn't stop you having them.

It's only a problem if you start agreeing with them.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
            Thumb Up

Re: "All Lives Splatter"

Funny you should say that.

Trump made a comment... "We all bleed RED". I think its something we can all agree to and its a start.

Your comment may have been said in jest, however its appropriate, even if its a bit of dark humor.

T

3. blueyon

It's like blaming all the football supporters of one side for the stupidity of one of them. A few different groups turned up. Some turned up for violence but one man took it to far.

This is just another media attack on trump just like the Russia probe. It's boring move on.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Because driving cars in to pedestrians is such a normal and reasonable action to take?

I wonder if he just wasn't very good at parking. We've all been there - the stress of manoeuvring a large car with poor visibility into a small space when there's loads of people around just watching.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I wonder if he just wasn't very good at parking.

Oww. That's the "bleak sarcasm of the week" award taken care of :).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah lets stick to facts,

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-barcelona-attack-response-general-john-pershing-tweet-muslim-pig-blood-bullets-a7899206.html

Hows that high ground now?

1. Chika
        Alert

Note: The link shown links to a site that actively blocks users running ad blockers.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think some people here may need to adjust their sarcasm meters.

Or at least, I very much hope so.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sarcasm

The problem is the last statement "Moral high ground must be maintained" as that cements the post as in favour of el presidente nobscratchio.

1. Mark 110

Re: Sarcasm

"The problem is the last statement "Moral high ground must be maintained" as that cements the post as in favour of el presidente nobscratchio."

Nope. That was confirmation of the sarcastic nature of the post. I was wondering until then. You need one of those sarcasm detection bots . . .

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Have these downvoters had a sarcasm bypass?

5. Ian Michael Gumby
      Boffin

Lets put things in to perspective.

First,

Trump condemned both sides for their part in the violence. To ignore the violence from BLM and Antifa members is to condone and legitimize their actions. To perpetuate that its ok to proactively attack someone or something you disagree with claiming self defense. (You can google many accounts of antifa members saying this.)

Is he trying to equate the evil of hate, bigotry and violence found in the 'alt-right' , 'White Supremacists' with that on the left? No. However that doesn't mean that both groups have shown evil and violent behavior.

At the same time, there is this thing called the First Amendment, There have been several key SCOTUS decisions during the 20th century that deal with the Freedom of Speech and what denotes hate speech. While many disagree with the message from either the 'alt-right' or the 'alt-left' and condemn violence, they do have the right to voice their opinion, regardless of how misguided it is.

With respect to the President's council, it has been disbanded. Those CEOs who left did so because of the optics rather than the substance of the issue. It shows a short sighted behavior that I for one have to question their fitness to lead a major company.

To be clear, due to the optics, these mental midgets left a council where they had an opportunity to influence future US policy on important issues.... Things that impact their company and their workforce.

Immigration, Healthcare, Trade and Taxes.

Think about that for a second or two... Rather than do things that would benefit them and well pretty much everyone, they ran away because they didn't want to get called a racist by a misguided liberal media.

Its amazing that people will down vote comments that are critical of the attacks on Trump and a misunderstanding of what is meant by 'Freedom of Speech'. The irony... the protesters are exercising the same freedoms which they are condemning.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Lets put things in to perspective.

Next time the Nazis want to exercise their freedom of speech, they should leave all weaponry at home. They might consider speaking in their own home towns instead, from now on. In front of their own homes. Unless they really are cowards. Going from being scum to being a coward is usually a small step. They are only "brave" in large groups.

1. RealityisntReal

So are you going to hold the alt-left/Antifa crowds to the same standard? You do realize that there were actually non-Nazi types that were there just to protest the statue removals and for freedom of speech, right? And that the vast majority of the free-speech/pro-statue marchers were perfectly identifiable in public, while the violent leftists/Antifa were in masks. So who's the coward? You evidently think it's OK for masked, Antifa idiots to hit someone with a bat, but not for someone to exercise their free speech rights. Remember, in the US there is actually free speech - not like the symbolic version in the EU/Britain. That means that no matter how disgusting their statement is, they have the right to say it. If you don't like what they say then speak out against it or simply don't listen. True free speech means being able to say something the majority doesn't like or want to hear.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Thumb Up

"Trump condemned both sides for their part in the violence."

etc.

A big fat thumbs-up for daring to tell the truth like that. I had 89 down votes (and counting) last time _I_ did that. But hey, the howler monkeys come out of the woodwork to sling poo every time the Trumpster is mentioned in an article, so there ya go.

It's not like Trump hasn't been asked COUNTLESS times by the LAME-stream media, "do you condemn XXX" where 'XXX' is some hate group (usually racial, usually of the KKK or neo-nazi variety) or leader of some such group.

The other day, Hannity and Limbaugh both played montages of Trump basically saying that he denounced all those guys, back in the campaign, repeatedly. One clip had trump saying that he'd been asked the same question over 30 times and gave the same answer, every time.

Has ANY other president EVAR been subjected to this kind of HARASSING questioning? The answer, of course, is NO. It's like someone coming up to you and saying "Are you a racist" and you say "No" and they say, "but, are you a RACIST?" and you say "No" and this just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on until you just can't STAND it any more, and then you're stuck in a media frenzy repeating the same question over, and over, and over, and over, and over again like they expect you to react unfavorably to yourself in response to the HARASSMENT. which it is.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Has ANY other president EVAR been subjected to this kind of HARASSING questioning?"

Obama and his birth certificate? By many, including Trump on the campaign trail.

3. strum

>a misunderstanding of what is meant by 'Freedom of Speech'

Once again, you trip yourself up, without any help from us. The First Amendment doesn't apply. The misunderstanding is yours.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What's complicated about Nazy rasist shitheads?

Can't think of any simpler excuses for human beings.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trump believes the presidency is a new season of "the apprentice"

I can't wait to see who wins, my money is on Kushner.

1. Blank Reg

The new season of the Apprentice

I think trump didn't like having no say in who got fired on the original show, so he ran for president so that he could actually get choose who goes. except of course for all those that voluntarily jump ship.

4. Bucky 2
    Mushroom

I'm so through

"Make America Great Again" is based on the premise that America is NOT great, but WILL be once we teach all the Arabs and Mexicans to be properly subordinate.

These CEOs were cool with all of that before. The only thing that's happened is a little publicity.

They've already demonstrated a lack of a moral center by getting all buddy-buddy with this administration in the first place.

I'm calling BS on their moral posturing. I'm insulted they think I'm stupid enough to believe them.

1. Mystic Megabyte
      FAIL

Re: I'm so through

Nope, they're right, you're dumb.

5. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

That virtue signaling!

I do no longer need to go to the hairdresser, my hairs gets frisquéed just by reading these thunderous vapid pronounciations by the truly worthy.

Mozilla are holier-than-you kids with diversity (and bug-fixing) issues, but the IEEE should be staid enough to stay out of this and not beclown itself. I'm a bit embarrassed on their behalf and I suspect this will lead to some noises in the ranks. I can't remember them coming out against BLM or Obama's non-pronounciations against undocumented shopping? Or, more relevant to engineering ethics. his boastful killing spree using drones and predilection for mas surveillance?

Meanwhile, right-wing blogger Anatoly Karlin writes better stuff than any journalist: The Ascent of Society 282

Europe famously has hate speech laws, which run the gamut from banning Nazi propaganda to criticizing mass immigration.

Russia’s version of it is Article 282, which has been used on everyone from genuine Neo-Nazis and radical Islamists to the nationalist pundit Konstantin Krylov for stating that it’s “time to do away with this strange economic model [of federal subsidies to the Caucasus]“.

And yet if the United States has an exceptional degree of respect for absolute freedom of speech, encodified in the First Amendment, this is mitigated by its organic “Society 282,” as the Russian nationalist Egor Prosvirnin has poetically called it.

In the days the Unite the Rite march in Charlottesville, in which one antifa counter-protester was killed by a Neo-Nazi going postal with his car (the MSM version of events; reality might be rather different), Society 282 has gone on a veritable purge of Alt Right and Dissident Right content on cyberspace...

1. Geoffrey W

Re: That virtue signaling!

I was intrigued by this statement:-

"one antifa counter-protester was killed by a Neo-Nazi going postal with his car (the MSM version of events; reality might be rather different)"

and wonder what the real reality might be. Any clues? I looked through the original article but beyond that statement there is no more.

Perhaps Heather Heyer was a crazed liberal about to murder a Nazi baby in its pram and thanks to quick thinking by a brave driver passing by, was stopped in her tracks.

Perhaps it was just a tragic accident when his self driving AI took the driver on a short cut and before he could hit the override button his joyous world had fallen apart.

I wasn't much taken with the rest of his article. While the MSM might sometimes suffer from a lack of nuance, the author of this article tries a bit too hard to make allowances for some naughty children and comes across as an apologist for the far right, like CS Lewis was for Christianity.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Geoffrey W: snowflake.

1. Geoffrey W

Anonymous Coward: Buzzword Debater.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I thought you'd call me a Mass Debator to be honest.

2. Marcus Fil

When snowflakes get together they form glaciers; glaciers carve their way through mountains. Don't mess with snowflakes!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"While the MSM might sometimes suffer from a lack of nuance, the author of this article tries a bit too hard to make allowances for some naughty children and comes across as an apologist for the far right, like CS Lewis was for Christianity."

The author flat out lies about what Trump said. FTA:

"...in which the President actively defended white supremacists..."

Trump did no such thing, period. Yet YOU swallow the frothing media smears whole, because lies about Trump taste better to you than the truth. Worse, you actually try to accuse the author of apologizing for Trump! Just what do you use for a conscience, GW? Or brains, for that matter?

1. Geoffrey W

@Big John

You're letting your anger overtake you again. I was talking about the author of the blog mentioned by Destroy All Monsters - One Anatoly Karlin, and not the author of the Register post. I hadn't gotten round to Trump yet. I suppose its understandable to assume I meant the reg author given the context, if you arent paying close attention. Sorry if I misled. ;-)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Sorry for the remarks, GW, I withdraw them.

2. TheElder

the United States has an exceptional degree of respect for absolute freedom of speech

Not to mention an internal civil war with firearms in the hands of psychotics.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

"psychotics"

I hope you meant to say 'psychopaths'. The mentally ill have enough on their plate without been compared to these arseholes.

1. TheElder

I hope you meant to say 'psychopaths'.

Definition: Psychosis refers to an abnormal condition of the mind, and is a generic psychiatric term for a mental state often described as involving a "loss of contact with reality". People suffering from psychosis are described as psychotic. ...

Psychopath: Synonym: Psychotic

The difference is plural.

2. Ian Michael Gumby
        Holmes

Re: the United States has an exceptional degree of respect for absolute freedom of speech

the United States has an exceptional degree of respect for absolute freedom of speech

Not to mention an internal civil war with firearms in the hands of psychotics.

Funny but for all of the guns that were worn by the far right, not a single shot was fired.

Yet last night 4 died and 28 were shot in Chicago.

I suggest you learn what you are talking about.

1. Rich 11

Re: the United States has an exceptional degree of respect for absolute freedom of speech

Funny but for all of the guns that were worn by the far right, not a single shot was fired.

That's your main take-away point? It doesn't concern you that carrying weapons to a demonstration is a show of force and a threat of violence in itself? It doesn't exactly indicate a peaceful intent.

1. RealityisntReal

Do you have the same feelings towards the leftists/Antifa groups that were carrying baseball bats and other items that they were perfectly happy to use as weapons?

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Thumb Down

"an internal civil war with firearms in the hands of psychotics."

WRONG.

If firearms are in the hands of psychotics, then let's just arm REGULAR LAW ABIDING CITIZENS and be done with it. Deputize EVERYBODY if that's what it takes. You'll see gun crimes reduced to near-zero.

In every city with a gun control law of some kind, you ALWAYS see a rise in violent crime that is (most likely) a direct result of the removal of handguns (particularly concealed handguns) in the possession of law abiding citizens.

And anyway, ABSOLUTE freedom of speech is a GREAT thing. With the exception of outright libel, slander, and disruption of the peace [like the classic exampe of yelling 'FIRE' in a crowded theater], as long as you're peaceful about it, get permits when required for a public demonstration, and so forth, there is NO restriction as to what you can say, EVAR, and that goes TRIPLE for political things. Even if everyone else HATES it, you can say it. And the police will protect your right to do that.

Meanwhile, it's probably smart to avoid the racist rally if you don't want to hear or watch that kind of thing.

Imagine what would happen if a bunch of religious fanatics "crashed" a gay pride parade? Or what about HAVING a gay pride parade in the FIRST place, in a town that's controlled by religious people that don't lke homosexuality? Of course THOSE lawsuits "happened" so long ago that people forget.

When the rubber band is on the OTHER claw (so to speak), or the shoe on the other foot, etc. then everybody on the left *WHINES* like a bunch of BABIES because SOMEONE out there DISAGREES with them. Well, TOO BAD. Freedom of Speech is Freedom of Speech. That means, as long as you're not inciting riots, or engaging in a crime of some kind (libel, slander, etc.) you're welcome to say what you want, within a reasonable context, and be protected while doing it.

So ANTIFA is (as far as I can tell) a bunch of HYPOCRITES who are simply looking for an EXCUSE to RIOT. Most likely they're bought and paid for by George Soros [or some similar rich liberal].

(and as for those white-supremacy racist bastards, and we know them by the words they spew, as well as the actions they take, so let them say that schtuff in public so that we will always be able to recognize them, and peacefully protest if you must - no rioting)

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
          Facepalm

If firearms are in the hands of psychotics, then let's just arm REGULAR LAW ABIDING CITIZENS and be done with it.

Yeah, that'll work, given that psychotics are in general more happy to use guns than REGULAR LAW ABIDING CITIZENS.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Facepalm

"And anyway, ABSOLUTE freedom of speech is a GREAT thing."

...followed by a list of conditions and caveats.

I'm not sure you know what ABSOLUTE mean Bob.

3. Richard Plinston

> Society 282 has gone on a veritable purge of Alt Right and Dissident Right content on cyberspace...

America may have free speech but:

a) I have the right to not listen to it

b) publishers have the right to not publish it.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge

About the IEEE...

https://www.ieee.org/documents/nondiscrimination.pdf

So no, the good (wo)men can't do nothing.

6. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Strong moral principles

The same companies have also pulled all their manufacturing and sales operations in China, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Israel, pretty much everywhere in Africa, S. America etc

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Windows

Re: Strong moral principles

The same companies have also pulled all their manufacturing and sales operations in ... Israel ...

You are pulling our collective legs.

Lawyers who could withstand the strong winds of Chosen Rightousness just don't exist.

7. mics39
    Paris Hilton

Weight Watchers

Surely their CEO is remaining for sound economic reason. Loyal Trumpers must be enormous market. I can also see Trumpy becoming the best salesman for Home Shopping Network.

By the way, does GE still make washing machines and such? It would be such a shame if Make America Great Again mob were reduced to buying Samsungs and Mieles, wouldn't it?

---

Paris because I hope she always watches her weight.

8. PhilipN Silver badge

The Trump Effect?

/Pulpit mode on:

Comments in these forums has become untenably knee-jerk reactionary and it is way past boring.

/off.

I confess I am watching American acquaintances for signs of stridency deriving from the new national personality emanating from the White House. So far, no. The national stereotype is still open, smart, engaged and enlightened. The stridency seems to come from us foreigners.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: The Trump Effect?

Sorry but you have made a school-boy error: you have assumes that the Americans you know, who probably are from the educated and outward-looking section who deal with people outside the USA as colleagues, will suddenly change as if infected by some zombie virus.

They won't. But that is the tragedy of the whole situation, and that mirrors the same thing in places like Egypt, Iraq, etc, is you will find the majority of people are decent folk simply trying to get on with their lives. The problem with Trump or any other extremist character is it brings the nutters out of the woodwork, folk who are doggy already but not shown their true stupidity until called. Those are the ones to worry about.

1. Roger Kynaston
        Joke

"folk who are doggy already"

Are you suggesting that His Orangeness is given to casual sex in parks?

Or perhaps it is that he pants a lot and is given to licking his balls?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Comments in these forums has become untenably knee-jerk reactionary

Oooooooh noooooooo it hasn't!

9. Updraft102

"Far reaching racism"

No; far-reaching fake news. It's reached all the way to the Reg...

Trump did not defend fascists or white supremacists. That's a straight-up lie. He said there were good people on both sides of the debate over removing confederate statues. That's what was at the root of this whole thing, but of course the media pretends otherwise so it can keep furthering its agenda.

Trump didn't attack "anti fascist" protestors. He protested "Antifa," a violent left-wing extremist group that pretends to be anti-fascist even as it uses fascistic techniques to advance its cause, advocating murder and assassination to accomplish its goals. The radical leftists have been committing acts of violence with impunity, including too many cases of assault and battery to count, not to mention the attempted assassination of a sitting member of Congress, but they get a pass from the media because they're on the same side. We're supposed to think it's okay that the left uses actual violence to advance their cause because they hate the "right" people. We're supposed to fear the non-violent right so much that we approve of the thuggery against them. (Does that sound "anti-fascist" to you?)

And here's the kicker: Fascism isn't right wing. Free enterprise in fascism? Yeah, sure. Individual rights? Don't count on it. Low taxes and deregulation? Are you nuts?

Fascism is a kissing cousin of Marxist socialism, and both are about as far from what "right wing" means today as it is possible to be. I don't care if those "alt-right" morons think they're right-wing; the truth is that they are collectivists who judge people for membership in a group rather than as individuals, and that's what the left is all about. They agree with their left-wing antagonists on every issue, except that they're on the other side. They both agree with hating people because of membership in a certain group; they just disagree which side is the "bad" side.

They can call themselves dolphins or alligators or kitchen tables, but it doesn't make it true. They're all collectivists, and there's no more difference between Marxist socialism and National socialism than there is between Sunni Muslims and Shia Muslims, who are always at one another's throats despite their common religion.

The media is demonstrating how nearly anything anyone says can be twisted to fit some agenda. It used to be that there was some sense of reason and fairness that played a role, but now it's all about their agenda. It's a shame the Reg is taking part in the fake-news, but I guess the ends justify the means if you really hate someone enough. Seems to me, though, that someone worthy of that much hate would have things you could legitimately attack rather than having to twist, lie, and distort at every opportunity.

1. Robert 22

Did you see the footage of the Friday night demonstration? It was something out of 1930s Germany - heavily armed men with torches parading about chanting authentic Nazi slogans. This was followed by the spectacle of the President trying to avoid saying anything negative about them and even then, he felt he had to find a few nice things to say to say. And not even the slightest sign of a belated recognition that he may have gone too far with his previous demagoguery.

I would also add that I am much more concerned about the militias and other right wing groups in the US than the Antifa groups. Among other things, the most serious example of a terrorist act carried out in the US by American citizens would, by a large margin, have been the Oklahoma City bombing.

1. TheElder

a terrorist act

I think developing atomic weapons scores fairly high. That includes the atomic spies.

SPIES

10. TheElder

Genetics

Trump's father had Alzheimer's. It is a genetic disorder. Symptoms include poor memory, distracted thinking with inability to concentrate. This is also correlated with BMI, higher is worse. There are several other correlations that are very strong including PPD, Personality Paranoia Disorder.

1. Mark 110

Re: Genetics

Trumps father was also a racist: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jun/30/old-man-trump-tom-morello-ani-difranco-woody-guthrie

I wonder where his son gets it from?

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        FAIL

Re: Genetics

"Trumps father was also a racist"

My mother was a big-time feminist during the 60's and 70's. So does that make ME a feminist?

And don't forget that JFK's father was an alleged CRIME BOSS.

11. chivo243 Silver badge
    Alert

The rats, the rats!

Don't they usually abandon a sinking ship? This is only one symptom of the rot that is permeating American Corporate Politics. Sad really.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Digital?

Could someone explain to me what the word "Digital" means? I work in a company that has been writing programs for chips for over 30 years, this has always resulted in large files of binary 1s and 0s that have been loaded onto ICs that processed everything in binary. Recently our CEO announced that the whole world is going digital and we need to as well, so he has created a Digital business unit. I thought we had been Digital for over 30 years, however the meaning of the word seems to have changed, can someone enlighten me?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Re: Digital?

I saw a dirt cheap, brandless set of headphones in one of those stores a long time ago. They were 'Digital Ready' or something similar, according to the package... so there's probably a hint for you. I guess it means 'moar better because of raisins'. Also, it's got electrolytes.

2. Mark 110

In my experience it means, to most companies, moving their distribution and customer service from physical, or telephony, interactions, to internet based. I have worked on a few 'Digital' transformation projects and they were all either trying to move their sales and logistics, or customer service on to their web page. Instead of through their physical stores or call centres.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It means you gonna get replaced by H1Bs

13. handleoclast
    Coat

Trump is NOT a racist

Trump can't be a racist. Some of his best daughters are Jewish.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Trump is NOT a racist

"Trump can't be a racist. Some of his best daughters are Jewish."

Womenfolk! Not relevant.

14. Alistair Dabbs

IEEE

I'm relieved Karen Bartleson walked away but why did it take so long? IEEE has official policy to make a stand against bullying, let alone racism.

15. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

AI,...... but not as you might be XPecting IT, Providing Immaculately Sourced Codes to XSSXXXX

Uncle Sam is Ripe for Alien Intervention and President Trump needs only to Register himself as an Interested Party to Significant Other Parties browsing Ethereal Ventures and Remote Virtual Command and Control of Fabless Futures here.

Although you can be sure Big Tech [the Googles, Microsofts and Apples and Yandexss out there] are all also likely targets for Provision of Presents with Prime Practical Parallel Programming Platforms for Perfectly Phished and Phormed Product Placements

:-) And that is AIFloat of Weeny AIdVentures4MegaMetaData Billionaires with SMARTR IntelAIgent Stock for All Master Great Game Players to XSXXXX:-)

And yes, that is perfectly serious and a fine opportunity to be really inquisitive and supportively disbelieving, and if things are moving on in cyberspace at too much of a Racing RAT Pace, fear not for we can always come back to lead you through any difficulties you might be experiencing in moving on into a Better Beta MegaMetaData Space.

Those pesky Remote Access Trojans just love that Warped Speed for ITs Crashing-Crushing-Cruising Rushes.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But what do they think the effect will be?

Running away basically means you lose all your options to make any kind of difference at all. Staying onboard might help you get your grievances across and things could actually change.

Sure, I also doubt that the administration would actually listen, but running away practically ensures that none of your arguments will be heard or used.

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Re: But what do they think the effect will be?

Running away basically means you lose all your options to make any kind of difference at all.

No; that only removes the ability to bring about change from within.

It still leaves the ability to achieve change from outside and it may often be the best option when change from within has been tried and has failed.

I am sympathetic to those who gave Trump the benefit of doubt, hoped they could help steer him towards the right course for the good of everyone. How I will judge them is how they respond now they have realised that hope was misplaced, how they continue to pursue what they believe is right.

17. Aynon Yuser

President Dump probably thought he could round up all the big wigs and turn them all into his best buddies hang out and play golf. He also probably thought that hanging out with them would create the illusion that he's a likeable wonderful human being.

Turns out no one in the playground wants to play with him so he ends up playing all alone.

Awe. So sad.

18. Hans 1
    Mushroom

executive chairwoman of the Mozilla Foundation [left Trump's panel]

What ????? She was on that panel ?????????

I have had enough .... there go Firefox and Thunderbird .... with all due respect, madam, fuck YOU and your foundation.

1. Hans 1

Note that I have used this since Phoenix 0.1, used it in production, on my workstation, since Phoenix 0.5.

Really miffed to read this crap!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oh Dear...

19. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Meh

Wot . 2 pages in and no word from Bombastic Bob

At least none he'll put his name to.

Most strange.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Wot . 2 pages in and no word from Bombastic Bob

fame is overrated

20. RonWheeler

Virtue signalling

Tech bosses scared of giving wrong impression to the fashionistas.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So Trump blames both groups of protesters for being petulant shits and causing destruction, injury, and loss of life, and that makes him a bad person? You hipsters need to get a hold of yourselves. All these quitters are just doing it for the SJW 'feels' and media coverage. Can we just ignore them and get back to our daily lives?

22. Paul 135

Just who the hell do these tech companies think they are? They're supposed to be talking about the economy yet get involved in promoting anti-white racism and pro-Communist ideology. All they are proving is that no white patriot can now trust these companies.

23. Robinson123

Really...

Why didn't they all resign when Obama failed to unequivocally condemn Islamist violence? He couldn't even bring himself to say the I word. It seems to me that Trump is being held to a far higher standard. Personally I see no difference between a Swastika (far right) and a Hammer & Sickle (far left). But it's apparently OK to ponce about waving the latter. Absolutely fine.

The hypocrisy stinks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Really...

Obama would not say the "I" word because that is to suggest that terrorist violence derives from Islam and Muslims. It does not - it comes from some fascist cunts claiming to be followers of Islam.

There was no hypocrisy because Obama was right not to indulge the racists and bigots who wanted to promote the view that Islam is a terrorist religion, that all Muslims are terrorists or supporters of terrorism.

But I tell you what - You accept the murder and violence of the far right is "Christian terrorism" and I'll accept calling it "Islamic terrorism".

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Holmes

Obama would not say the "I" word because...

He was also extremely busy killing civiies in Syria/Lybia and kissing Saudi arse. Was also ok with BLM nuking inner cities, who was at fault? Blue jackets.

Anyway, here's the short take:

Resurfacing the Truth is 100% allowed if you are an Establishment Construct like Obama and you give at least the impression of being a progressive do-gooder.

A crazy confused guy like Trump who opens up real grievances and causes contradictions and "unmentionable" problems to come to the fore shall be branded a Nazi and useful idiots fancying themselves "The Resistance" will be rolled out for an internal color revolution.

Especially if he's not onboard with Cold War II.

From here on, things will either be getting more crazy and then burn out or the lid is put on again and the whole pressure cooker will explode.

2. RealityisntReal

So lets see. You claim that you can't paint Muslims and Islam as bad because of a few rogue extremists - but you have no problem claiming all conservatives are bad because of a few rogue extremists? Get confused in your logic much? And before you say you don't do that, please read all the news articles from multiple sources with multiple different 'liberal' groups claiming that all Trump voters/supporters are racist/Nazis.

24. Howard Hanek
    Childcatcher

Another Schooling

The media likes to school their audience. Like sharks, barracudas, pirhanas........They're delighted with the 'topics' this season and while not quite satiated are certainly appreciative of all the 'opportunity'. Wonderful creatures who certainly 'love' humanity.

In other news the government announced today they will not be signing a contract for the purchase of Microsoft's 'Surface' anytime in the immediate future. No reason for the decision was given.

25. Bladeforce

One thing is missing here..

..we are trying to make a certain religion integrate into society that doesn't believe in our values. Is it any wonder people get wound up to the point of insanity when the left Have an impossible agenda that will just spiral out of control

1. Rich 11

Re: One thing is missing here..

we are trying to make a certain religion integrate into society that doesn't believe in our values

I too am sick of fundamentalist Christians killing doctors and firebombing women's clinics, of denying young people good sex education, of 'praying the gay away' and of claiming that their interpretation of what their favourite spirit in the sky wants is better than anyone else's interpretation of that or any other spirit in the sky's desires.

1. RealityisntReal

Your attempt to create some kind of equivalency where none exists is showing. According to the NY Times "At least 11 people have been killed in attacks on abortion clinics in the United States since 1993" - to help with the math that is 11 people in 24 years. Please total up the number killed by Muslim extremists in the same time period. Your other sarcastic comments are examples of protected free speech. Sorry if you don't like free speech, but despite the whining from the liberals and Antifa fools, the US Constitution protects it - even if it is opinions and statements you don't like/find offensive.

2. strum

>..we are trying to make a certain religion integrate into society that doesn't believe in our values

Yes. Christianity is totally at odds with modern capitalism.

26. Blake St. Claire

I know it's considered poor taste to correct people's spelling mistakes

But the correct spelling is "Nazi."

Not "Alt Right."

Steve Bannon is a Nazi. They guy that drove his car into the crowd and killed Heather Heyer is a Nazi. Donald J. Trump is a Nazi.

Thank you.

27. grizzly

This is all a massive distraction.

Steve Bannon has it right. In rich world elections, talk of economic inequality will beat talk of race. The more people focus on gender\race\sexuality instead of what really matters: addressing the real problems of globalisation and technological-advance, the more they play into the hands of snake-oil pedlars like Trump.

Versus the $32 trillion secretly hoarded offshore, the left going on about cultural appropriation by white TV chefs selling Indian sauce, or campaigning for transexual toilets is so pathetic it's almost despicable.

28. ian 22

Oh God...

Dear God, if we should impeach Trump, please send us a sign. Perhaps blot out the sun sometime next week...

29. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

Let's get into the progressive funky mode, do da crazy moral dancin'....

NYT finds out that CEOs are now the New Hope!

From iSteve's super crazy press review blog:

NYT: CEOs Speak Truth to Power

From the New York Times:

----

The Moral Voice of Corporate America

By DAVID GELLES AUG. 19, 2017

The nation has split into political tribes. The culture wars are back, waged over transgender rights and immigration. White nationalists are on the march.

Amid this turbulence, a surprising group of Americans is testing its moral voice more forcefully than ever: C.E.O.s. …

Jamie Dimon of JPMorgan said, “The equal treatment of all people is one of our nation’s bedrock principles.” …

The forthright engagement of these and other executives with one of the most charged political issues in years — the swelling confidence of a torch-bearing, swastika-saluting, whites-first movement — is “a seminal moment in the history of business in America,” said Darren Walker, the president of the Ford Foundation and a board member at PepsiCo.

“In this maelstrom, the most clarifying voice has been the voice of business,” he said. “These C.E.O.s have taken the risk to speak truth to power.”

-------

In 2017, the rich get not only richer but holier.

Comment:

LOL! We are now beyond Orwell. Winston is being tortured for the crime of having too much power.

30. oneeye

Leftist won't be Happy until we have a Police State

The media continues the propaganda acting as thought police, advocating violence only for their side. When the police state arrives, perhaps then they'll be satisfied? No, censorship will be against all concerned. Dangerous precedents are being set now and will bite everyone in the end. The Electronic Frontier Foundation wrote about it the other day

Free Speech, EFF

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/08/fighting-neo-nazis-future-free-expression

All this crap in the media, and the reactions of the tech giants only further proves the assertions of the Google Memo author.

1. samzeman
      WTF?

Re: Leftist won't be Happy until we have a Police State

Are you forgetting what type of state Nazis initially set out to create?

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trump is POTUS

What a time to be alive! *

* conditions apply

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm

It was painfully clear the moment that radical militant terrorist supporting dual citizen Zionist Jared Kusher and his Zionist mafia took over the White House that anyone who questioned their subservience to Israel would be forced out of the White House by hook or by crook.

Why do you think Kushner was protected from ever testifying before Congress, let alone to anyone under oath? (for the record: Kushner NEVER did testify to Congress. Instead, he was allowed to "talk", behind closed doors, in secret, to a bunch of Congressional staffers, aids and interns. Yes people, interns. All you have to remember about that is that it is NOT a crime to lie to any of them) The reason the powers that be went to such extraordinary lengths to prevent his testifying wasn’t because of his meetings with Russia (though they almost certainly in at least one case constituted espionage) They didn’t want the America people to find out that Kushner had been conducting weekly briefings for NutenYahoo and Israel. Not just during the election, but right into first days of the new Administration…….

Basically, the United States is being run by a bunch of radical hard line extremely militant right wing dual citizen Zionist Israelis with a man named Trump put in the "top" spot as their front man..........

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Are you trying to defend the walking scab that finally fell off that festering pus-pit POTUS?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like