back to article Fox News fabricated faux news with Donald Trump, lawsuit claims

To obscure Russia's role in the 2016 election, the Trump administration collaborated with Fox News to fabricate news about the murder of Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich, according to a defamation and discrimination lawsuit filed on Tuesday. The lawsuit, filed in the Southern District of New York on behalf of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TRAMO is TRITH

And FURST LADY MAEMALADE is hotta than Uh BOSTAN SIDEWALK.

I love her BITS. I love his HARE.

1. Don Dumb
      Stop

Re: TRAMO is TRITH

You're proving just how good AManFromMars1 really is/was

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Come back Eadon, all is forgiven.

2. Chemical Bob

Dude, you're not supposed to eat dewaxing agents...

2. ma1010
    Paris Hilton

Interesting story

Let's see the evidence, though. If this makes it to court, we should get a look at it.

Paris because this story sounds goofy, although it's possible it's a matter of "just crazy enough to be true," to misquote Einstein. Still want to see the proof, though.

1. Graybyrd
      Windows

Re: Interesting story

Here in the colonies it does give us a bit of perspective re: what the loyal subjects of good King George the III suffered at home whilst he pissed us off to the point that we disrespectfully legged it in 1776. Our mistake now: a disproportionate cluster of crazies has elected our own version of a Mad King. Damn, but it is painful...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What's interesting is the fact that if Seth Rich did indeed spill Hillary's beans and was offed for it, that would utterly destroy the Democrats' baseless accusations of Russian collusion (whatever that's supposed to mean today). Thus this lawsuit, meant to directly attack that idea and drive it away.

But the fact remains that he WAS in a position to do it, and Assange backs up that idea, and Rich WAS gunned down a block from his home with nothing of value taken from his body, about a week after the embarrassing DNC emails came to light. Plus the fact that the Democrat-controlled DC police in charge of the investigation seem to not want to investigate the crime too terribly hard, while blocking anyone else from doing so.

It stinks to high heaven. Oh, but I'm forgetting myself. I'm supposed to put a cork in it because some of Seth's relatives are calling people like me (who have legit questions) all kinds of foul names. I guess I better stop thinking so much!

1. Schultz
          Stop

calling people like me (who have legit questions) all kinds of foul names ...

Big, John, you nicely illustrate the fundamental problem in US politics: Some politicians and friends saw advantage in destroying trust in the public institutions (newspapers, police, justice system, government, ...). Without trustworthy institutions, it's possible to ask any kind of 'legit questions' without ever accepting any answer. Murder of Seth Rich? Must be a cover-up by the police, secret service and news agencies. Sandy hooks massacre? Could be an inside job, the police are just lying about it. 9-11, Pizzagate, Russian contacts of a presidential candidate, moon landing, ... everything becomes a matter of opinion disconnected from objective reality. We see the deconstruction of civilization, because civilization is based on cooperation and cooperation is only possible if people trust one another.

This certainly makes life easier for certain politicians who are now able to spin reality. But it breaks society. It'll be the big challenge of the 21st century: How to restore trust, how to make sure trustworthy people fill the important positions, how to maintain civilization with the cacophony of meaningless dross thrown at you via the internet?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

The crazy fringe right still believes it is true despite the retraction

That story was targeted at ultra gullible conservatives who will believe any lie if it is against Hillary. After all, these are the same nutcases who maintain a list of 50 people that the Clintons have supposedly had murdered to silence everything from a $100,000 investment they lost money on, to women Bill had affairs with, to investigators who dug up "the truth" about their other murders and had to be silenced, and so forth. They manage to cause car accidents, fires, suicides, and heart attacks - they have a wider repertoire than even Trump's buddy Vladimir Putin! These idiots make the JFK conspiracy look like child's play - not bad for a good old boy from Arkansas and his social climber wife.

These fools heard the "Seth Rich was murdered" story on alt right wacko fringe media months ago, believed the lie that "mainstream media was suppressing the truth" and cheered loudly when Fox News finally reported it and thought "now it will get the attention it deserves since the rest of the media can no longer ignore it!"

The fact that Fox later retracted it isn't a problem for them. In fact, it only makes them believe harder. In their reality bubble, the story is still true and it was only pulled because Fox isn't a "truly conservative" source like Breitbart, and it caved in face of pressure from the "deep state" or whatever bogeyman of the day they're screaming about. The fact it was pulled makes it MORE TRUE in their minds, because it means the conspiracy to protect Clinton goes so deep that even Fox News is infected!

1. Don Dumb
              Terminator

Re: The crazy fringe right still believes it is true despite the retraction

@DougS - "The fact that Fox later retracted it isn't a problem for them. In fact, it only makes them believe harder....The fact it was pulled makes it MORE TRUE in their minds, because it means the conspiracy to protect Clinton goes so deep that even Fox News is infected!"

That's the beauty of conspiracy theories - they are a turbo-charged self perpetuating cycle. Once a conspiracy theory gains believers, any information that would dispel that theory becomes more evidence to the believer of "just how deep the conspiracy goes", their belief actually grows.

Look at vaccination conspiracy theories, by now every medical, scientific, pharmaceutical figure and group must be in on the conspiracy to give children autism, there must be more people in on the conspiracy that outside it. To a logical person that would seem to disprove the idea, yet to a believer somehow that only shows just how big the conspiracy is.

1. My Alter Ego

Re: The crazy fringe right still believes it is true despite the retraction

Like Trevor Noah said about Trump's conspiracy theories, that he's the one in charge now, yet he's still harping on...

*In Trump's voice* "I know, it goes all the way to the White House"

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: calling people like me (who have legit questions) all kinds of foul names ...

So tie Big John to every bizarre conspiracy theory you can think of and yammer about the importance of trustworthy institutions, as if their being trustworthy is axiomatic.

Big John did not draw any conclusions. You are being a hypocrite with your innuendo.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: calling people like me (who have legit questions) all kinds of foul names ...

Don't bother. Any article that even hints about Trump will draw legions of hard-core haters like flies. I'm talking dozens for every one rational observer. Yes, all I did was raise questions, but questions that threaten to puncture the overburdened spare tyre that is all that's keeping the USS Left afloat, mentally at least. Thus the savage overreaction.

I actually kinda enjoy reading some of them. Very educational, if a bit disquieting.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Where a "rational observer" is one who still gives Trump the benefit of the doubt, despite all the lies from him and everyone else around him that "no one in the campaign had any contact with Russians", the constantly evolving stories every time they are caught in that lie and more contacts are proven, along with Trump himself taking multiple steps to try to shut down the investigation?

Do hardcore conservatives have an alternative dictionary to go along with their alternative facts? Because you are using a meaning of the word "rational" with which I'm not familiar.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

> "...no one in the campaign had any contact with Russians..."

Doug, a rational observer can see how you modify reality so you can 'get away' with lying. There was never any such assertion.

You are aware (are you not?) that qualifiers are always used in such cases? You would have us believe that Trump has claimed a total lack of ANY contact, when it was only the "collusional" kind he was referring to. It would be nearly impossible for an incoming presidential team to have no contact with Russian nationals. Such a test has never been applied to a Democrat, but YOU think it's fair to do it to Trump now? Just because it aligns with the Left's Big Lie about Russians hacking the election?

But I guess you just can't resist this kind of juvenile, imagined "gotcha," can you? Pathetic.

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

You're trying to rewrite history now. Trump was saying there was no contact AT ALL back in January, before any contact had been shown. He only lowered the bar after so much contact had been demonstrated by multiple people in his campaign/administration that he could no longer claim it was fake news.

Sessions testified to Congress he had no contact with Russians, the whole reason he had to recuse himself is that he was caught in a lie. You had Kushner having to amend his SF86 at least twice because he left off ALL contact with Russians in the first version, then left off the contact in the company of Don Jr. in his amended version and had to submit a third version in June.

Doesn't it bother you at least a little bit that everyone around Trump seems to have had a major case of amnesia where meetings with Russians are concerned? Are you so willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that this doesn't seem even slightly strange to you? If it was all innocent, why the coverup? Why is Trump so intent on killing the investigation, even to the point of publicly demeaning one of his strongest supporters (someone who his base loves almost as much as Trump) trying to get him to resign so he can appoint a new AG?

1. elip

What are you talking about? Please cite actual sources where Russian government officials actually met with anyone in the Trump campaign? I'm not talking about private Russian citizens, corp-types, billionaires-looking-to-become-zillionaires, but actual Russian-government-payroll employees. To correct John above, *any New Yorker* period would have a hard time pretending like they haven't interacted with Russian nationals. Disclaimer - I'm born and raised in Eastern Bloc, so, take that into consideration of my biases.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
            Unhappy

"challenge of the 21st century:..restore trust,..sure trustworthy people fill..important positions"

True.

And BTW that tactic of confusing people so much they don't believe any media.

First used by one of Putin's advisors, an ex Moscow theatre director IIRC.

2. scarletherring

@Big John

So... Your logic goes: if [this were true], then [outcome I like], therefore [this is true].

That's not a reasonable argument. Your corollary is worse still: people don't like it when I say this, therefore I'm right.

I have no idea if there's anything more to Seth Rich's death than officials say. Very well might be, I certainly have very little faith in DNC or the travesty known as US law enforcement.

But it's not an either/or scenario. To claim that the moron in the White House and his campaign/staff did not collude with Russia at this point is, respectfully, completely bonkers.

3. gandalfcn Silver badge

Big John, you posted "I guess I better stop thinking so much!" Which seems somewhat at odds with reality, because your posts have indicated you are incapable of thought.

4. disgruntled yank

What's interesting is that if the moon is made of cheese, then astronauts with a good cracker supply could subsist there indefinitely.

No, I definitely do not think that you need to stop thinking "so much".

5. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Donald Trump and Donald Trump Jr. have admitted their election collusion with the Russian regime. How isn't THAT "interesting"?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Our mistake now"

Simple solution: Make America Great British Again!

3. collinsl Bronze badge

It wasn't him, it never was, it was his parliament.

And you know what, it wasn't even them that much.

The revolutionaries in the US wanted to make trouble, and found a good excuse in the taxes that were being imposed. These taxes were much less than the average Englishman was paying (about 1/8th in fact) and were to pay almost solely for the French and Indian wars and the ongoing defence of the colonies.

The other issue of representation can be ignored too, because English people weren't represented - this was the time of the "pocket boroughs" which were essentially purchased from the one or two voters in the voting district - that or the voter happened to be the MP who was elected. The average person wasn't represented at all.

Essentially the independence movement happened because a bunch of smugglers (John Hancock et al) didn't like the goods being brought in being cheaper than their smuggled goods, so they attempted to dispose of the legitimate goods (hence the Boston Tea Party).

The UK parliament cracked down on the lawlessness, which led to people becoming annoyed, as before that the government had taken a hands off approach - sparing the rod spoiled the child in this case. Then it spiralled into revolution.

4. phuzz Silver badge

"what the loyal subjects of good King George the III suffered at home whilst he pissed us off to the point that we disrespectfully legged it in 1776"

King George III (as with basically all of our monarchs since the early 1700's) was basically a figure-head, all the various reasons the US felt compelled to split from the UK (eg taxes) should rightly be placed at the feet of the British Parliament.

George made a good hate figure, and consequently all the rhetoric around independence was put in terms of 'shaking off the yoke of monarchy'. Really though it was was about independence from British rule, which in reality meant (and still means) rule by the government (ie Parliament and the civil service etc), rather than by the king himself.

As a constitutional monarch the king or queen has effectively no political power. Technically they can veto acts of parliament, but that would be a sure way to turn the UK into a republic by the end of the week.

So please, feel free to continue being angry at the British government, but old George the farmer was really one of our better monarchs, who by and large left the governing to his government.

5. wayward4now
        Linux

"a disproportionate cluster of crazies has elected our own version of a Mad King. Damn, but it is painful..."

At least we didn't vote the "Red 'OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!' Queen" in.

2. gandalfcn Silver badge

Why did Fox retract the story? If it was true, why did they?

3. J. R. Hartley

The title is no longer required.

What in the fuck is going on in the colonies?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The title is no longer required.

There's 1 - 50 slightly used states if you guys are interested.

1. lglethal Silver badge
        Trollface

"There's 1 - 50 slightly used states if you guys are interested.

Hawaii is always nice, and Alaska looks interesting. Can we take those two?

You can keep the rest...We wouldnt want to have to put up a wall to keep the rest of you out...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Sorry, Trump has already made a secret deal with Putin to sell Alaska back to Russia for the original $7.2 million. The other 49 are still available though. We'll even give you a discount on New Jersey, if you are willing to take Chris Christie with it!

2. a_yank_lurker

It's called the legacy media puts politics and spin over truth and accuracy. The problem is endemic no matter one's political affiliation; they are all liars. Some are little brazen than others.

Pot meet kettle.

4. FozzyBear
    Alien

sigh!

The frustration I have about the current state of politics (doesn't matter country or level) is that if this type of behaviour was witnessed on a playground, you'd clip both of them behind the ear. Tell them they were acting like babies and put them on trash detail for the rest of the day to teach them a lesson.

The lesson being acting like a spoilt little brat, lying, making up stories, whining, blaming and tattling on others is not acceptable behaviour.

Unfortunately, it appears not only is this behaviour expected in politics, it rewarded.

There must be a reason that the crap rather than the cream rises to the top in politics

1. Stratman

There must be a reason that the crap rather than the cream rises to the top in politics

Politics at that level is a sewer. Ask any sewer worker what floats down there.

1. a_yank_lurker

@Stratman - Given a choice of being with a bunch of politicians or in a sewer I would take the sewer as an improvement based on personal experience at sewage treatment plants.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Sewage treatment

Having spent part of my life working on process control and instrumentation in STW's I can confirm they are actually very pleasant eco-friendly places. Sh!t and other stuff goes in one end, and clean fresh water comes out the other. Unlike our political systems.....

2. Captain DaFt

It has been noted that scum tends to rise higher than cream.

Anyone with the brains to run a country was forced out of politics years ago by the power hungry, because they couldn't control them.

Lies and treachery always trump wisdom and knowledge.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Coat

trump wisdom and knowledge.

I never thought I'd so those three words in a sentence (not counting and)

3. PhilipN Silver badge

Trash detail?

Heavens! What boot camp kind of school did you attend? We all hoped to be chosen to beat the blackboard eraser (no .... not an euphemism) outside - ‘cos it was fun to see all the chalk dust swirling in the air.

Oh could somebody help out Da Kids wiv an explanation of “blackboard”, “eraser” and “chalk”?

5. Barry Rueger

Don't Read the Comments. Don't Read the Comments. Don't ...

Girlfriend is obsessed with Trump news, following multiple US and UK papers hourly.

I satisfy myself with one NPR morning newscast, and whatever bubbles up on Twitter from the tiny group of low traffic journos that I follow. This gives me just enough Trump to know what's happening, without thoroughly depressing me.

What's missing from all of the comments, memes, tweets, posts, video, and funny pictures? Any suggestion whatsoever of what people should be doing to change the situation.

Without a plan, and a call to action, we're just amusing ourselves while pretending it's "activism."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't Read the Comments. Don't Read the Comments. Don't ...

Girlfriend is obsessed with Trump news, following multiple US and UK papers hourly.

If she won't seek help, dump her.

6. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Fox and NEWS

People still use those words in the same sentence?

7. DocJD

If people are allowed to sue over fake news, CNN will go bankrupt.

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Unusually for a news organisation I can't find any evidence of successful defamation action against CNN.

There's Davide Carbone, but that doesn't seem to have gone to trial yet.

8. Mystic Megabyte
    WTF?

Please remove Agent Orange ASAP

Trump would like the USA to become another Saudi Arabia with himself as King. Hence the US state dept. now omitting the word "Democracy" from their mission statement. SAD!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/us-state-department-democracy-donald-trump-mission-statement-drop-rex-tillerson-a7871121.html

9. Wolfclaw

Anything coming out of Fox, I would check, check again, triple check and then put in the spam bin, just to be on the safe side. Murdoch, his family and gang of corporate henchmen, are not fit to run a news empire and no way should be allowed any control of Sky !

10. Phukov Andigh Bronze badge

wasn't there a lawsuit claiming Obama was hiding UFOs?

the existence of a lawsuit, and statements by the individual or attorney supporting it, do not necessarily lend credibility to the cause of that lawsuit.

Will there be worldwide coverage if the lawsuit fails to be heard or fails in court? Did we bring up all the silly litigation that every president suffers brought on by flat eathers, pro enviro, anti enviro, anti military, pro militiary and every other cause with an axe to grind or attention to gain?

11. rmstock

Cover-up by Brad Bauman and the DNC

The original story published by FOX News was 100% true, but was swiftly pulled because the DNC intervened "on behalf" of the parents of Seth Rich, because it was slandered that Seth Rich had stolen DNC e-mails ... here's an archive of that story : Seth Rich, slain DNC staffer, had contact with WikiLeaks, say multiple sources by By Malia Zimmerman . Published May 16, 2017 . Fox News https://archive.is/o/sEnDV/www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/16/slain-dnc-staffer-had-contact-with-wikileaks-investigator-says.html ( https://archive.is/HvAIv )

A discussion which ensued is archived here http://archive.is/sEnDV , the archived Reddit discussions are here : http://archive.is/sOhSh http://archive.is/j9Bmu http://boards.4chan.org/pol/thread/125912863/4th-year-surgery-resident-here-who-rotated-at-whc

A good analysis by Stefan Molyneux : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioBiYxZReTo

A good introduction of what really happened : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSO6EEzQby4

1. rmstock

Re: Cover-up by Brad Bauman and the DNC

Jerome Corsi, George Webb and Jason Goodman analyze about how Seth Rich did two leaks. According Corsi, Seth Rich somehow got hold of John Podesta's Apple ID which was also Podesta's gmail account information ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUo7KzrURJA

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So you are trying to say 4chan /pol and Reddit are reliable sources for anything but Lolz?

Not buying that tripe.

You probably think Alex Jones is spot on as well.

1. rmstock

Alex Jones has the info, 4chan /pol/ and Reddit have the latest, but in this case Seymour Hersh has become so extremely pissed off that he leaked a audio of a phone call he had with Rod Wheeler, where Rod tells an entire different version of events : http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-08-02/seth-rich-investigator-accusations-debunked-own-interviews-seymour-hersh-leak-kills- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giuZdBAXVh0

12. John Smith 19 Gold badge

A suggestion to US readers.

Take back your government

13. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

Is anyone missing the demise of 'ol Spicy?

Just saying.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like