back to article What is Oracle's 'major database innovation'?

On Wednesday next week database users and buyers will behold one of the wonders of the modern world - Larry Ellison live on stage. He'll hold them in the palm of his hand as he talks in an "Extreme. Performance." keynote about something wondrous for the database world. In the earnings call at the end of Oracle's final quarter …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hoping?

Personally, I'd much rather they concentrated on sorting out that stupid, outdated Oracle Universal Installer contraption of theirs, in favour of a nice (semi) industry standard MSI-based install.

2. Norfolk Enchants Paris
    Paris Hilton

It's anyone's guess but

one thing I'd hope for...

<quote>

Will Hurd be doing the sexy big picture stuff with Ann Livermore filling in the details?

</quote>

I hope that Ann doesn't do anything sexy at all.

Well actually I don't care a hoot but for the sake of the people attending let it be so. She's probably a lovely person but really, it would be like your mom being sexy. Not good.

Paris, as she's very familiar with sexy big picture stuff.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Perhaps..

They could introduce a feature where they don't gouge their longtime customers every time they want to parlay a robust, profitable, but in the end fairly static share of a saturated market into financial-analyst-friendly "growth".

We'd go for that. We really would.

"We are going to remove your spleen through your digestive tract because just being profitable doesnt make the prospectus sing." gets a little tired, the tenth time around.

4. RainForestGuppy
    Thumb Down

Oracle Innovation is an Oxymoron

It's more likely to be a new way for fleece people into paying even more for their crappy applications.

Licence by user, licence by processor, perhaps licence by if there is a 'y' in the day.

Bring back Ingres!!

Where's the Icon with Larry Ellison looking like the Devil....Oh wait he looks like anyway.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Larry can be full of it!

From day one when Oracle was known as SDL, Larry has always talked up a big chunk of BS. He always makes promises, then goes back to the heads of development and asks them to make it happen, it's like he lives 2 years ahead of himself all the time. Interesting to see what silly idea he has come up with this time, which won't work until Oracle v14!

Love the guy and I have a large part of my career sown up with Larry's baby, but he is so full of it sometimes!

6. Francis Fish
    Pirate

HP Don't innovate any more

So you partner with them? Sacked most of their innovative engineers when Fiorna turned them into printer and services company. Why would you partner with them? Pardon?

I've seen Larry speak when I was an employee. So what?

My favourite phrase (may have been one of the other veeps) was "leveraging the compensation", which I think meant pay by results. This was before the 9/11 obscenity where he sent an email about family (we lost a couple of admirable and heroic guys having a go at the plane that didn't crash at the Pentagon) then six months later fired a load of us.

It's capitalism, man, "family" my enormous behind. Plus the possibly apocryphal tale that he had a UK employee thrown out of a taxi he was sharing saying something like "get me away from this loser", lovely man.

Oh, and he doesn't like Microsoft.

Oh, and he doesn't like Microsoft.

Did I say he doesn't like Microsoft?

Who are one of their biggest partners?

7. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Bye Bye, Larry and Thanks for all the Bull ....

"Various sources have suggested Oracle is going to support solid state drives (SSD) technology to speed up database response in an initiative to do with database acceleration"

Being somewhat more Intellectually Radical [Mentally Confused] and Practically Pragmatic [Physical Able and Enabled] I'd be Rooting for them Flashing Non State Actor Driver Technology of AIRevolutionary Database in Stealthy Wealth Initiatives, to their Audience ...... for no other simpler reason than that is what they are competeing against in the Cloud/Virtualisation Field.

And if Larry Ellison cannot at least match that at the September launch, then he is no more than a Titanic Captain setting out on a Mirror of a Maiden Voyage.

The Oracle doesn't See at all well in Clouds and Competitive Free Thinker Steganographic Space ....... Sp00ksVille.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My guess is

Unified query.

The art of having shells of data whereby the kernel of the inner most shell is immutable data that represents the events, then each successive shell provides derivations of the data, (such as converting to cubes, and views etc, - Though these are basically limited, OLAP was such a single dimensional hack.) followed by queries written in Linq, and a whole set of other forms.

These then render a DB to support not just relational data, but also network, hierarchical, and also true object models that can be queried using the Linq.

SQL Server's already started on this road, with it's parallel server engine, single data store architecture to provide infinite scale on the back end. (Unified query solves all performance as well as all complexity problems.)

1 Unified Query Set equals...

Don't Repeat Yourself Data -> Implied Data -> -> Implied Data* -> Unified QL Request...

^

More D.R.Y data -> |

9. Ishkandar

@Hoping?

If you are still using the Universal Installer then you deserve everything you get !! Just go back to the bare bones and manually install everything, using reasonable and practical parameters for your needs instead of the defaults !!

God save me from kiddies with a black box mentality !! And don't anyone mention F***ING wizards !!

10. phat shantz

Best Guess

1) A device that transforms all your enterprise data into M&Ms.

2) Unlimited Write-Only data storage.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Sounds like "Project Sage"...

...is about to be unveiled.

A sacking offence to even say the S*ge word at Oracle, apparently.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

new ..?

how about vertically partitioned data (á ls Teradata)?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like